Lliana Bird Biography
Lliana Bird is a British writer, actor, and radio presenter. She is known for hosting programs on some of the most successful radio stations in Britain. Born and raised in London, England, she graduated in experimental psychology from ‘Bristol University’ and started working for radio stations in the mid-2000s. She has worked for ‘Capital Radio,’ ‘Virgin Radio,’ and ‘BBC Three Counties Radio.’ One of the biggest breakthrough moments of her career arrived in 2010, when she was hired to present a radio documentary series titled ‘Independents Day.’ Currently, she presents a radio show named ‘Get it off Your Breasts’ and hosts the popular Sunday evening show on ‘Radio X.’ She has also made several TV appearances on ‘Sky News’ and ‘BBC Breakfast.’ She has authored the book ‘The Mice Who Sing for Sex.’ She also writes for ‘The Huffington Post,’ focusing on social issues. She has exhibited her multi-talented persona in theater, too, and has done a few shows as an actor. She is also involved in charitable deeds and is the co-founder of ‘Help Refugees’ and ‘The Kindly Collective.’
- Lliana Bird was born on August 17, 1981, in London, England. Always wanting to become a writer, she attended ‘Bristol University’ and graduated in experimental psychology.
- Lliana did a few odd jobs before landing a job at a radio station. Since 2007, she has been rising to popularity through her radio shows.
- One of the early stints as a radio presenter was for a show on ‘XFM,’ with which she remained connected until 2015. ‘XFM’ was later rebranded as ‘Radio X.’ Before the rebranding took place, Lliana delivered the final live link and played the song ‘Kick Out the Jam,’ the song that the radio had begun its journey with.
- She had a bright career as a radio presenter and attained popularity with her listeners due to her impeccable presence of mind and her quirky sense of humor. She also had her own voice regarding social issues.
- In 2010, she got a big break when she was selected to present a radio documentary series titled ‘Independents Day.’ The series focused on the rise and the struggles of those who ran independent record labels.
- Her success as a TV presenter continues as she reaches new milestones from time to time. She currently presents the highly popular Sunday evening show on ‘Radio X.’ Famous comedian Russell Brand also happens to be one of the presenters on the radio station. The regular playlist on the station features small-time independent songs and alternative rock music.
- She has also hosted shows on radio stations such as ‘Virgin Radio,’ ‘Capital Radio,’ and ‘BBC Three Counties Radio.’ As her success soared, she was invited as a guest on radio stations such as ‘LBC,’ ‘BBC London,’ and ‘BBC 5 Live.’
- She is known as the quirky and witty presenter of the weekly radio podcast ‘Geek Chick’s Weird Science.’ Over time, it has become one of the most popular informational shows on radio and has earned the ‘iTunes Best of 2014’ honor.
- She has also collaborated with popular radio presenter Emma Gannon as her co-presenter for the show ‘Get it Off Your Breasts.’ The show features intense and unfiltered round-table discussions, focusing on issues that women face in the contemporary era.
- In the recent years, she has also made regular appearances on TV. She has appeared as a guest commentator on ‘BBC Breakfast’ and ‘Sky News.’ In the past, she had presented on ‘XFM TV’ briefly.
- She is an animal lover and has successfully presented a conversation series about the ‘London Zoo’ in 2014. She was invited as a guest on the ‘BBC’ show ‘Springwatch.’ However, radio remains her first priority. She keeps her TV appearances brief.
- In her early career, she had little interest in performing arts. However, in 2009, that interest intensified when she laid the foundation of the theatrical production company ‘Bird & Be.’ She founded the company with Phoebe Barran, an esteemed theater artist in England.
- The company presented their first play, ‘The Tin Horizon,’ the same year. It was a restaging of the popular play by Orlando Wells. The show was held at ‘Theatre 503’ in London. The play received a warm reception from both the audiences and the critics.
- Apart from managing the production duties of her own company, she has also acted in several plays. One of her most popular plays is ‘Fiddler on the Roof,’ a classic play set in Russia in 1905, based on a book by author Joseph Stein. The musical was played at ‘The Lyric Theatre’ and received significant critical acclaim.
- Some of her other plays that she has appeared in as an actor are ‘Boom-Bang-a-Bang’ and ‘The Christmas Cock-up,’ played at the ‘Etcetera Theatre’ and the ‘Cockpit Theatre,’ respectively.
- After attaining success with Orlando Wells’s play ‘The Tin Horizon,’ she turned to the creator for another play, ‘The Duke in Darkness.’ She was one of the co-producers of the play. It was featured at the ‘Tabard Theatre’ in 2013.
- She has also appeared in the first two seasons of the popular surreal comedy series ‘Noel Fielding’s Luxury Comedy.’ The comedy TV series has received strong, polarized reviews. It has received both hearty praises and scathing criticism from various viewers.
- Lliana has also showcased her acting talent in several episodes of the series ‘The Mighty Boosh.’
- As a writer, she has been associated with one of the biggest British publications, ‘The Huffington Post.’ She tackles a variety of social issues in her blogs and articles, which gets both criticism and admiration.
- She went beyond writing short articles and authored a book titled ‘The Mice Who Sing for Sex: And Other Weird Tales from the World of Science’ in 2016. She co-authored the book in collaboration with Dr. Jack, who is a regular guest on her podcast, ‘Geek Chick’s Weird Science.’
- She has been actively involved in charitable deeds since the beginning of her career. She was one of the co-founders of ‘Help Refugees,’ which was founded in 2015. The charity works toward the betterment of the lives of refugees all over the world by providing them advocacy and financial aid. The charity has more than 80 programs running in the Middle East and Europe alone.
- In 2016, she was invited to host the ‘London Peace Talks.’
- In 2017, she co-founded another charity institution, ‘The Kindly Collective,’ which raises funds to help needy women and children across the world by providing them financial and humanitarian aid.
- Lliana Bird started dating comedian Noel Fielding in 2010. The couple had kept their relationship a secret for many years. In April 2018, Lliana gave birth to her daughter, Dali. She was named after Noel’s favorite surrealist artist, Salvador Dali.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed