Lil Snupe Biography
Lil Snupe was an American rapper, best known for his mixtape ‘R.N.I.C.’ He was just starting to gain fame when he was shot dead in his hometown. He was 18 years old at the time of his death. He was born and raised in Winnfield, Louisiana, and was earlier known as Addarren Ross. When he was 4 years old, he expressed his wish to become a rapper to his mother. He began rapping since he started talking. The family moved to Dallas, Texas, when Lil Snupe was around 8 years old. He started visiting a local studio after school and recorded his first song around the same time. He was a mischievous kid and got into trouble with his school’s authorities for misbehaving with the teachers. However, throughout this time, he only became more serious about the prospect of becoming a rapper. In December 2012, he released his debut mixtape, ‘16 & Runnin: Tha Mixtape.’ Rapper Meek Mill came across the mixtape and decided to support Lil Snupe. Lil Snupe released his second mixtape, ‘R.N.I.C.’ in April 2013, just 2 months before he was killed in his hometown.
- Lil Snupe was born Addarren Ross, on June 13, 1995, in Jonesboro, Winnfield, Louisiana, to Denesha Chester and Charlie Brown. He was the only child in the family. When Lil Snupe was 4 years old, his father, Charlie, was imprisoned. Hence, he was raised by his mother.
- Lil Snupe grew up listening to rap music. He was so influenced by it as a child that he told his mother that he wanted to become a rapper upon growing up. Many of his relatives made fun of him, but he was determined about it.
- His locality did not provide him an ideal environment to grow up in. Although he almost never landed in trouble with the authorities, he was quite a mischievous kid. He misbehaved with teachers in school and did not come home for days in a row, causing worry for his mother.
- Despite his issues, he was focused on becoming a rapper. His goals intensified at the age of 8, when the family moved to Dallas, Texas, where the rap scene was booming. Lil Snupe befriended some local struggling rappers and started visiting a studio after school every day.
- Due to the time he spent in the studio, his academics suffered. His mother restricted the time he spent at the studio, but Lil Snupe somehow always found a way to go there.
- He recorded his first song when he was 8 years old. His mother was unaware of what he was up to, but she silently encouraged him during his formative years.
- Throughout his teenage years, he continued to write raps and perform freestyle around his house. He also participated in the local rap battles and became somewhat popular locally.
- By the time he was in the final year of high school, he had started working on his first mixtape. In November 2012, Lil Snupe released his debut mixtape, ‘16 & Runnin: Tha Mixtape.’ The album became a local success, and Lil Snupe became confident about his skills.
- Despite the fact that he was from the South, his rapping style resembled that of the East Coast rappers. Lil Snupe idolized rapper Meek Mill and began devising ways to get in touch with him, hoping to earn his support.
- Lil Snupe met Meek Mill in Grambling, Louisiana, around the time when he released his mixtape online, in late 2012. He handed over a copy to Meek. Meek was impressed with his talent.
- Meek invited Snupe to Philadelphia and signed him under his label, ‘Dream Chasers.’ Lil Snupe was 17 at that time, and this was the big breakthrough that he desired.
- He started working on his second mixtape, ‘Real Nigga In Charge’ (or ‘R.N.I.C.’), which was released in April 2013.
- Several singles from the mixtape went viral on ‘YouTube.’ Singles such as ‘Melo’ and ‘Nobody’ earned more than a million views on ‘YouTube.’ The single ‘Nobody’ also featured Meek Mill.
- In addition, he also collaborated with established names such as DJ Khaled, Twinn U, and Trae Tha Truth. Within a short period of time, he established himself as a rapper.
- The album gained a lot of good feedback, but before Snupe could become a nationally recognized rapper, he was shot dead.
- It was evident through some of his lyrics that Lil Snupe was an angry teenager for growing up without a father. He used rap music as a form of spiritual healing.
- Lil Snupe was visiting his hometown in June 2013, right after the release of his second mixtape. He was at a friend’s house, playing video games on June 20, 2013, when he had an argument with a friend named Tony Holden. In a fit of rage, Tony shot Lil Snupe twice in the chest, killing him.
- Tony surrendered to the authorities on June 26, thus solving the mystery of the murder.
- Before Tony turned himself in, there were all kinds of rumors regarding the incident. One rumor even said that Meek Mill was behind the murder.
- A documentary based on the life of Lil Snupe, titled ‘The Dream Chaser,’ is currently in the post-production stage. It is directed by Rahim Handy and will feature Meek Mill, Rick Ross, and other rappers Lil Snupe had worked with during his brief career.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed