Kimbo Slice Biography
Died At Age: 42
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Kevin Ferguson, Kevin
Born in: Nassau, Bahamas
Famous as: Mixed martial Artist
Spouse/Ex-: Antionette Ray
mother: Rosemary Clarke
children: Kassandra Ferguson, Kevin Ferguson II, Kevin Ferguson Jr., Kevina Ferguson, Kevlar Ferguson, Kiara Ferguson
place of death: Coral Springs
Grouping of People: Black Men
education: University of Miami
Kevin Ferguson, popularly known as Kimbo Slice, was an American mixed martial artist, boxer, wrestler, as well as actor. Owing to his mutual combat street fights which were shared across the internet, he gained immense popularity and the name ‘The King of Web Brawlers’. Born in Nassau, Bahamas, Slice did various jobs during the early years of his life, including that of a nightclub bouncer, limousine driver, and a bodyguard. Later, when he was around the age of thirty, he developed an interest in Mixed Martial Arts. Slice made his MMA debut against Ray Mercer, a former WBO Heavyweight Champion and Olympic gold medalist. After Slice emerged victorious, defeating the latter in the first round with a Guillotine Choke, he started gaining popularity. Once he became known as a prominent MMA fighter a few years later, he also made his debut in boxing and wrestling. Slice had also acted in a few films such as ‘Blood and Bone’, and ‘Circle of Pain’. His successful career was tragically short-lived as he passed away at the age of 42 due to heart failure.
- Kimbo Slice was born as Kevin Ferguson in Nassau, Bahamas on 8th February 1974. At a very early age, he moved to the US along with his family. He grew up along with his two brothers in Florida.
- Slice attended several schools such as Cutler Ridge Middle School and Richmond Heights Middle School. His first fight took place at the age of thirteen, when he had to defend a friend.
- After his schooling he joined the University of Miami, where he studied criminal justice. He also attended the Bethune-Cookman University. Later he did several jobs including that of a nightclub bouncer, limousine driver, and bodyguard.
- Kimbo Slice started his career by taking part in unofficial mutual combat street fights. He earned the name ‘Slice’ after he left a cut on his opponent’s right eye during a fight. The fight went viral on the internet.
- In 2005, after he developed a liking for MMA, he began his martial arts training at the Freestyle Fighting Academy. His first fight was against Ray Mercer, who was a former WBO Heavyweight Champion as well as an Olympic gold medalist boxer. The fight took place on June 23rd, 2007, at the Cage Fury Fighting Championships, where Slice defeated Mercer in the first round with a Guillotine Choke.
- The following year, Slice appeared at the ‘EliteXC: Street Certified’, where he fought Tank Abbot. Slice once again defeated his opponent and emerged victorious. Slowly, his fan base started growing.
- After he achieved multiple other victories, he made the decision to compete in the UFC (Ultimate Fighting Championship). He took part in the show ‘The Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights’. In his first fight of the show, Slice faced Roy Nelson, by whom he was defeated. Later, he faced Houston Alexander at the ‘Ultimate Fighter: Heavyweights Finale’. After a fierce fight, Slice emerged victorious through unanimous decision.
- In August 2010, Slice spoke about his interest in pursuing a career in boxing. He made his boxing debut after exactly one year, against James Wade. The fight took place at the Buffalo Run Casino in Miami, Oklahoma. Slice won the fight via KO in the first round itself. Over the next few years, he fought multiple other opponents as well.
- In February 2011, Slice made his debut in professional wrestling. He faced former Sumo wrestler Shinichi Suzukawa at the Inoki Genome Federation’s ‘Genome 14’ event, which was held in Fukuoka, Japan. However, he had to pull out of the match due to an injury.
- On January 2015, it was announced by Bellator MMA that Slice had signed a multi-fight deal with them. His first fight was against Ken Shamrock, where he knocked out the latter in the first round. Some observers, however, noted that the fight appeared to be fixed.
- The following year, his fight against Dhafir Harris, popularly known as Dada 5000, gained massive attention, as the two were bitter rivals. Even though Slice won the fight after he knocked out Dada, it was later revealed that Slice had failed the pre-fight drug test, because of which the result of the match was changed to a no-contest.
- Kimbo Slice has also acted in a few films. He played a supporting role in the 2009 American martial arts film ‘Blood and Bone’, which was directed by Ben Ramsey. The film starred Michael Jai White, Eamonn Walker, Julian Sands, Matt Mullins, Bob Sapp, Kimbo Slice and several other actors and martial artists.
- The story revolved around the character named Isiah Bone, who after coming out of prison makes a name for himself in the underground fight scene. The film was met with average reviews.
- Kimbo Slice played a supporting role in the action fantasy movie ‘The Scorpion King 3: Battle for Redemption’. Directed by Roel Riene, the film continued the story of Mathayus, who after becoming the Scorpion King, sees his kingdom facing several calamities. The film starred Victor Webster, Bostin Christopher, Temuera Morrison, Kystal Vee, and Selina Lo alongside Kimbo Slice. The film was a commercial success. It received mostly mixed to negative reviews.
- Kimbo Slice’s girlfriend was Antoinette Ray, whom he had dated for a very long time. The couple had six children. The two were planning to get married; however, Slice passed away before the marriage could take place.
- On 5th June 2016, Slice was admitted to a hospital near his home. On 6 June 2016, he passed away due to heart failure.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed