Katie Kimmel Biography
Katie Kimmel is an American artist and fashion designer. She is the daughter of comedian, actor, TV host, and television personality Jimmy Kimmel and his first wife, costume designer Gina Maddy Kimmel. Katie grew up in a time when her father was still trying to find a solid footing in the entertainment industry. The family had to move on a regular basis for his job as a radio host, and Katie spent parts of her early childhood in Florida, California, and Arizona. The family eventually relocated to Los Angeles when Kimmel landed a job at KROQ-FM. Her father’s eventual move to the television brought a semblance of stability in their quasi-vagabond life. Katie, along with her mother and younger brother Kevin, has appeared several times on Kimmel’s ‘The Man Show’. She has also lent her voice to a puppet version of herself in ‘Crank Yankers’, a Comedy Central show that Kimmel co-created. A graduate of The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, Katie is a ceramics artist working in the Mojave Desert, California. As a fashion designer, she has released a line of t-shirts.
- After graduating high school, Katie enrolled at The School of the Art Institute of Chicago, from where she earned her BFA degree in ceramics, video, and painting. She currently lives in the Mojave Desert and works as an artist. Her main medium is ceramics but she uses other backgrounds as well. In recent years, she has shifted her focus to making food art with humorous facial expressions. She has a website, through which she sells her work.
- Katie is also an up-and-coming fashion designer. She has released a line of t-shirts with Italian food phrases like “Linguini and Clams” and “Chicken Parm” written in block lettering. Between 2000 and 2003, she made several appearances in ‘The Man Show’, which her father co-hosted with Adam Carolla. From 2003 to 2004, she voiced a puppet version of herself in ‘Crank Yankers’.
- In December 2017, Katie’s father criticised the fashion brand Reformation in a tweet for plagiarising her t-shirt designs. He gave links to both the websites to back up his argument. As with Katie’s works, the Reformation t-shirts also feature Italian food phrases in block lettering on the front. This accusation garnered mixed responses. While some Twitter users supported Kimmel and his daughter and condemned Reformation for using the work of a relatively unknown artist without her permission or knowledge, others pointed out that the designs have been around since the 1970s.
- Katie was born on August 28, 1991, in the United States of America. Her parents, Jimmy and Gina Maddy Kimmel, met when they were both students at the Arizona State University. Three years older than Kimmel, Gina graduated from Arizona in 1988. Kimmel, on the other hand, dropped out to pursue a radio career. The young couple tied the knot on June 25, 1988, and relocated to Seattle, Washington, where Kimmel had been hired to co-host ‘The Me and Him Show’ at KZOK-FM alongside Kent Voss. In the ensuing few years, Kimmel held several jobs as a radio host. He was employed at WRBQ-FM in Tampa, Florida, KCMJ in Palm Springs, California, and KRQQ in Tucson, Arizona, before relocating to Los Angeles, where he had landed a job at KROQ-FM. For the next five years, he was “Jimmy The Sports Guy" on the ‘Kevin and Bean’ morning show. By then, Kimmel and Gina had welcomed Katie’s younger brother Kevin (born September 19, 1993) into their world. Kimmel always took his wife, their children, and several members of his extended family to wherever he had to move for work, as, since the beginning, he has used his family members in his comedy skits. He made his TV debut in 1997, six years after Katie’s birth, on Comedy Central’s game show ‘Win Ben Stein's Money’. Between 1999 and 2003, he hosted ‘The Man Show’. Since 2004, he has been the host of ABC’s ‘Jimmy Kimmel Live!’ Katie’s mother, Gina, has worked as a costume designer on the set of ‘Party Like the Rich and Famous’ (2012) and ‘Party Like the Queen of France’ (2012).
- Her parents divorced in 2002. Katie is the half-sibling of her father’s two children from his marriage to TV writer Molly McNearney: Jane (born July 10, 2014) and William (April 21, 2017).
- Katie is in a relationship with singer and musician Will Logsdon. The couple recently became engaged. Both of them shared the photographs of their engagement on their respective Instagram pages on January 14, 2019.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed