Kate Bolduan Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Katherine Jean Bolduan
Born Country: United States
Born in: Goshen, Indiana, United States
Famous as: Journalist
Spouse/Ex-: Michael David Gershenson (m. 2010)
father: Jeffrey Bolduan
mother: Nadine Bolduan
children: Cecelia Eve Gershenson, Delphine Esther Gershenson
U.S. State: Indiana
education: George Washington University (2005), Goshen High School
Katherine Jean Bolduan, professionally known as Kate Bolduan, is an American broadcast journalist. She is best known as the anchor of the ‘CNN’ morning show ‘At This Hour.’ Earlier, she co-anchored the ‘CNN’ weekday morning program ‘New Day’ and ‘The Situation Room.’ Bolduan was part of ‘CNN’s award-winning coverage of the 2012 and 2016 presidential elections. She has also served as a congressional correspondent based in Washington, DC, covering the activities of the ‘US House’ and the senate. During her membership for the ‘Capitol Hill Unit,’ Bolduan reported on the legislative cycle and congressional events such as negotiations to increase the federal debt limit and the super committee deliberations. She has also served as a general assignment correspondent, covering stories such as the 2009 Christmas Day bombing attempt, the landmark ‘Supreme Court’ decision on ‘Obamacare,’ and the implementation of the government’s stimulus plan in 2009. She joined ‘CNN’ in 2007, as a national correspondent for ‘CNN Newsource.’ As a national correspondent she provided breaking news coverage and feature reports for more than 800 ‘CNN Newsource’ affiliates. Ealier, she worked with ‘NBC News,’ ‘MSNBC,’ and ‘WTVD-TV.’ She currently lives in New York City with her husband and two children.
- Kate Bolduan was born on July 28, 1983, in Goshen, Indiana, to Dr. Jeffrey Bolduan and Nadine Bolduan. Her mother worked as a nurse. She is third of the four daughters born to her parents.
- Bolduan attended ‘Goshen High School,’ a public high school in her home city. She graduated with a bachelor’s degree in journalism from ‘George Washington University’ in 2005. At college, she was a ‘walk-on’ player on the women’s volleyball team and also participated in theater. She learnt to speak Spanish during her study trip to Madrid.
- Following her graduation, from 2005 to 2007, Bolduan worked as a general assignment reporter for ‘WTVD-TV’ in Raleigh, North Carolina. She then joined ‘NBC News’ and ‘MSNBC’ in Washington, DC, as a production assistant. She also worked at ‘House & Garden’ magazine, ‘Dateline NBC,’ and ‘NBC Nightly News.’
- In 2007, Bolduan joined ‘CNN’ as a national correspondent for ‘CNN Newsource.’ She was mostly responsible for providing breaking news coverage and feature reports for over 800 ‘CNN Newsource’ affiliates. Her most notable work during this period was the coverage of the 2008 US presidential election, for which she traveled throughout the country. She also covered major headlines such as the Minneapolis Bridge collapse, the OJ Simpson armed robbery case, and the retiring ‘NASA Space Shuttle’ fleet.
- In 2013, Bolduan briefly co-anchored an early evening ‘CNN’ newscast called ‘The Situation Room,’ with Wolf Blitzer. She provided current events, breaking news, political headlines, and other reports, amidst a lively 2-hour discussion.
- In 2013, Bolduan anchored ‘New Day,’ a weekday morning TV show on ‘CNN.’ The show replaced ‘Starting Point,’ formerly anchored by Soledad O’Brien in 2012.
- In 2014, Bolduan made a feature called ‘Kate Bolduan’s Roots,’ covering how her ancestors arrived in America from Belgium in 1912. She also traveled to Belgium to know more about her family history. The same year, she began presenting for the ‘Fashion Tech Forum’ independently. The program supported innovators.
- In 2015, Bolduan joined ‘CNN’s morning show ‘@ This Hour’ alongside John Berman. She became the sole host of the program after it was renamed ‘At This Hour with Kate Bolduan’ in 2017. The show focuses on daily events with correspondents sending their on-site live reports to the studio. She conducts occasional interviews with guests in the studio or via teleconference.
- In 2016, Bolduan joined the ‘CNN International’ program ‘State of America with Kate Bolduan.’ During this time, she covered the 2016 US presidential campaign. After the election, Bolduan continued to focus on national news and affairs. She also brings in a panel of experts for their views on current affairs.
- In 2017, Bolduan made a feature on farms in Virginia for the ‘CNN’ annual series ‘Champions for Change.’ The feature was called ‘The Story behind Farm Aid.’ It featured her interviewing small and environment-friendly farmers on their views on America.
- In 2018, Bolduan made another feature for the ‘Champions for Change’ series. She collaborated with the international organization ‘Every Mother Counts,’ which helps pregnant women with information and various kinds of support. The same year, Bolduan moderated a 2-day conversation at the ‘Marie Claire Power Trip Conference,’ sharing space with stalwarts such as Theresia Gouw and Sukhinder Singh Cassidy in San Francisco.
- In 2019, Bolduan covered stories about children and teenagers based in one of Chicago’s underfunded areas, Roseland. She visited the non-profit organization ‘Kids off the Block’ (KOB), which helps those kids with shelter and education in informatics. As part of her independent activities, the same year, Bolduan participated in the ‘Alzheimer’s & Brain Awareness Month’ event. She also had a conversation with designer Diane von Furstenberg on issues related to modern women at the live journalism event ‘Women in the World.’
- In May 2010, Bolduan married Michael Gershenson, son of a real-estate developer. In 2013, the couple moved to New York City after Bolduan accepted the anchor’s position for ‘CNN’s morning line-up. The couple’s first daughter was born in 2014. Their second daughter was born in 2017.
- Bolduan and her husband are part of the ‘Park Avenue Synagogue,’ a Conservative Jewish congregation in Manhattan.
- Bolduan is left-handed but plays all sports with her right hand. She can waterski barefoot.
- Bolduan’s family nickname is “Kway Wayne,” as she was obsessed with Dwayne Wayne from ‘A Different World’ as a child.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed