Kacey Musgraves Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Kacey Lee Musgraves
Born in: Golden, Texas, United States
Famous as: Singer-Songwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Ruston Kelly (m. 2017)
father: Craig Musgraves
mother: Karen Musgraves
siblings: Kelly Musgraves
U.S. State: Texas
Kacey Musgraves is an American singer and songwriter, best known for her ‘Grammy Award’-winning album ‘Golden Hour.’ Born and raised in Golden, Texas, US, she started playing music when she was 8 years old. Ever since she was a child, she was heavily influenced by country music. She later took guitar lessons, too. Her parents stood by her throughout her formative years while she grew as a musician. Her parents also funded her debut self-released album. She had her first stint with fame in 2007, when she participated in the singing reality show ‘Nashville Star.’ In 2012, she was signed by ‘Mercury Nashville’ on a contract. She released her debut studio album in 2013. Titled ‘Same Trailer Different Park,’ the album won a ‘Grammy Award’ for the ‘Best Country Album.’ Several singles from the album topped the music charts. In 2018, she released her fourth studio album, ‘Golden Hour,’ which received widespread critical acclaim and won her four ‘Grammy Awards,’ including those for the ‘Best Country Album’ and the ‘Album of the Year Award.’ ‘Golden Hour’ also won a ‘Country Music Association Album of the Year’ award and an ‘Academy of Country Music’ award.
- Kacey Musgraves was born Kacey Lee Musgraves, on August 21, 1988, in Golden, Texas, to Karen and Craig Musgraves. She was born prematurely and weighed only 5 pounds at the time of her birth.
- Her father owned a small printing press in Golden, while her mother was an artist. She grew up with a sister named Kelly Musgraves, who later became a successful photographer.
- Kacey was a music enthusiast ever since she was a kid. Texas had a thriving country music scene, and Kacey could not keep herself away from its influence. She learned to play the mandolin as a kid. By the time she was 8 years old, she had started writing songs. One of her first songs was titled ‘Notice Me,’ which she had written for her elementary-school graduation ceremony.
- In her teenage years, she took guitar lessons from a local musician named John DeFoore. With that, she became determined that she wanted to make a career in music. She also describes that period as the most significant time of her life.
- Her parents were also supportive and left no stone unturned in making sure Kacey realized her dreams. Her mother would take her to local music festivals, where Kacey would perform western swing music on stage.
- She attended ‘Mineola High School’ and graduated in 2006. By then, she had planned to release her albums by herself. Her parents funded her early music projects.
- By 2007, she had released three albums by herself. However, she was still a relatively unknown artist. In 2007, she appeared on ‘Nashville Star,’ a talent-hunt reality show, where she first came to national prominence. She displayed her remarkable talent and earned the 7th spot.
- After moving to Austin at the age of 18, she was discovered by Monte Robison in 2008. Robison ran an independent record label named ‘Triple Pop Records.’ The same year, she recorded two singles for the label, ‘Apologize’ and ‘See You Again,’ both of which were covers of popular songs.
- In 2012, she had a major career breakthrough when she was signed by ‘Mercury Nashville Records’ on a contract. She started working on her debut album in 2012 and released one of its singles, ‘Merry Go Round.’
- The full-fledged debut album, ‘Same Trailer Different Park,’ was released in March 2013. Music producers Luke Laird and Shane McAnally helped her produce the album. She had co-written 12 songs for the album. The album became an immediate critical and commercial success and won the ‘Grammy Award’ for the ‘Best Country Album’ at the 56th ‘Annual Grammy Awards.’
- Achieving this huge award-winning success with her debut project was overwhelming for Kacey. The album also debuted at the second spot on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart. Additionally, it topped the ‘Top Country Albums’ chart. The album has sold more than half a million copies in the US alone.
- One single from the album, titled ‘Follow Your Arrow,’ was named by ‘Rolling Stones’ magazine as the 39th best country song of all time.
- She gathered the same team of music producers and released her second studio album, ‘Pageant Material,’ in 2015. The album received a ‘Grammy’ nomination for the ‘Best Country Album’ and was an immediate critical and commercial success.
- ‘The Guardian’ featured the album at the top of their ‘Best Country Albums of 2015’ list. The album also made its way into several other lists of top albums that year.
- In October 2016, Kacey released a Christmas album titled ‘A Very Kacey Christmas.’ The album featured eight traditional Christmas songs, along with four original ones. In order to promote the album, Kacey embarked on a nationwide tour.
- Apart from working on her albums, Kacey has also collaborated with many other musicians. She has provided background vocals in the single ‘All the Best’ from ‘Zac Brown Band’s album ‘Welcome Home.’
- In March 2018, Kacey released her fourth studio album, ‘Golden Hour,’ which has been her most successful one to date. The album debuted at the fourth spot on the ‘Billboard 200’ chart and became a huge critical and commercial success.
- The album featured 13 songs, all of which were co-written by Kacey and co-produced by Daniel Tashian and Ian Fitchuk. It was nominated for four awards at the 61st ‘Grammy Awards’ and won all four of them, including the ‘Album of the Year’ and the ‘Best Country Album.’ Two singles from the album, ‘Butterflies’ and ‘Space Cowboy,’ won a ‘Grammy’ each.
- ‘Golden Hour’ also won the ‘Album of the Year’ award at the 52nd ‘Annual Country Music Association Awards.’
- Kacey Misgroves was friends with her bandmate Misa Arriaga for a long time. They eventually started dating each other. Kacey publicly announced her relationship with Misa in 2014. However, they separated shortly after.
- She met Ruston Kelly at a cafe in Nashville. In 2016, they had a songwriting date. Following this, they began dating each other. Kacey said that her single ‘Butterflies’ was dedicated to her relationship with Ruston. The couple announced their engagement in 2016 and got married in 2017.
|2019||Album of the Year||Winner|
|2019||Best Country Album||Winner|
|2019||Best Country Song||Winner|
|2019||Best Country Solo Performance||Winner|
|2014||Best Country Album||Winner|
|2014||Best Country Song||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed