Josh Hartnett Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Joshua Daniel
Born in: Saint Paul, Minnesota, U.S.
Famous as: American actor
Spouse/Ex-: Tamsin Egerton (2012–)
father: Daniel Thomas Hartnett
mother: Wendy Anne
siblings: Jake Hartnett, Jessica Hartnett, Joe Hartnett
U.S. State: Minnesota
City: Saint Paul, Minnesota
One of the hottest teen heart throbs of the 1990s, Josh Hartnett is a Hollywood star who has smoothly made the transition from being a teen sensation to a serious character actor. With his smoldering good looks and raw sex appeal, he was a much sought after young male actor during his youth. But the talented actor has proved to the world that Josh Hartnett is not just about killer good-looks—he has the skills to deliver powerful performances as well. Acting was never the first career choice for the athletic youngster while he was in high school. Sports were his first love and he had never even thought of performing on stage until an injury forced him to quit his sporting activities. The dejected teenager was encouraged by his aunt to try his hand at acting. He landed the part of Huckleberry Finn in a stage production of ‘Tom Sawyer’ and was soon hooked to acting. As a 19 year old he was cast in the ABC drama ‘Cracker’ which though short-lived ensured that Josh got noticed for his great looks. His first feature film role was in the horror flick ‘Halloween H20: 20 Years Later’ which established the young man as a teen heart throb. More film offers followed and soon he became a famous face of Hollywood.
- He was born as the son on Wendy Anne and Daniel Thomas Hartnett. He was primarily raised by his building manager father and artist stepmother. He has three younger half-siblings.
- He first attended Cretin-Derham Hall High School before shifting to South High School from where he graduated in 1996.
- He was an athletic young boy who loved playing sports, especially football. An injury made it impossible for him to continue playing and he was very upset because of this. His aunty encouraged him to audition for a stage production of ‘Tom Sawyer’ in a bid to divert his attention.
- He won the part of Huckleberry Finn in the play and realized that he loved acting. He became very popular with the girls because of his cute looks.
- He moved to New York after high school to attend the Conservatory of Theatre Arts & Film, but the experience was not what he had hoped for.
- He went to Los Angeles to try his luck at acting. He tried hard, auditioning for around 50 projects in three weeks before landing a role in the ABC crime series ‘Cracker’ in 1997. Even though the series was short lived, it gave considerable exposure to the young actor.
- He appeared in some television commercials and small plays for the next two years. In 1998 he was cast as John Tate in the slasher horror film ‘Halloween H20: 20 Years Later’. In spite of getting mixed reviews it was a commercial success.
- He played Zeke Tyler in the science fiction horror ‘The Faculty’ in 1998 which also had other stars like Elijah Wood, Laura Harris, Salma Hayek and Jon Stewart in the ensemble. He was nominated for a Saturn Award for his performance.
- In 2001, he was part of ensemble cast of the epic war film ‘Pearl Harbor’ directed by Michael Bay. The movie was a dramatization of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid. It was a major box office grosser.
- Even though he was seldom cast in a leading role, he often found himself chosen as a part of an ensemble cast of major films. He portrayed SSG Matt Eversmann in the war film ‘Black Hawk Down’ (2001) which chronicled the events in the Battle of Mogadishu.
- He starred along with Bruce Willis, Morgan Freeman and Ben Kingsley in the 2006 crime thriller film ‘Lucky Number Slevin’. The movie revolved around two crime lords and a mysterious hitman.
- He has a penchant for acting in thrillers and horrors. In keeping up with this image he appeared in the 2007 vampire horror movie ’30 Days of Night’ which is set in an Alaskan town haunted by vampires.
- He turned producer in 2008 with the drama film ‘August’ in which he also starred. The story was about two ambitious brothers who try to keep their company afloat even as the stock market begins to collapse in August 2001.
- He appeared in a martial arts action film ‘Bunraku’ in 2010 which follows a young drifter’s quest for revenge. The movie draws heavily from samurai and Western films.
- ‘Pearl Harbor’ was one of his biggest box office successes. He played the role of First Lieutenant Daniel Walker in the movie that is a love story set in the backdrop of the Japanese attack on the Pearl Harbor.
- He was named the Outstanding Environmentalist by the 21st Century Leaders Awards, Qatar in 2007.
- He won the Ischia International Arts Academy Acting Award at the Ischia Global Film & Music Fest, Italy in 2010.
- He has dated and has been linked to several beautiful women over the years including Scarlett Johansson, Sophie Lie, Kelly Lee Carlson and Amanda Seyfried.
- He has been involved in several social and environmental causes. He supports the green lifestyle campaign of Global Cool and the joint FWD campaign by USAID and Ad Council.
Josh Hartnett Movies
1. Sin City (2005)
2. Lucky Number Slevin (2006)
(Crime, Mystery, Thriller, Drama)
3. Black Hawk Down (2001)
(History, War, Drama)
4. The Virgin Suicides (1999)
5. Wicker Park (2004)
(Romance, Mystery, Drama, Thriller)
6. Mozart and the Whale (2005)
(Romance, Comedy, Drama)
7. The Ottoman Lieutenant (2017)
8. 30 Days of Night (2007)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed