Jonathan Taylor Thomas Biography
Girlfriend: Natalie Wright (ex)
Sun Sign: Virgo
Born in: Bethlehem, Pennsylvania
Famous as: Actor, Voice Actor
father: Stephen Weiss
mother: Claudine Gonsalves
siblings: Joel Thomas Weiss
U.S. State: Pennsylvania
education: Chaminade College Preparatory School, Harvard University, St Andrews University, Columbia University School of General Studies
Jonathan Taylor Thomas is an American actor, voice actor, director and teenage heartthrob who earned fame as a child actor in the ABC sitcom 'Home Improvement', in which he played the role of Randy Taylor from 1991 to 1998. He also provided the voices for Spot in the US original production of, 'The Adventures of Spot' and for Young Simba in the Disney animated musical film, 'The Lion King'. Throughout the 1990s, he appeared in several TV shows, including 'The Bradys' and 'In Living Color', and also had major roles in films such as 'Man of the House', 'Tom and Huck', 'The Adventures of Pinocchio', 'Wild America', 'I'll Be Home for Christmas', 'Speedway Junky', 'Walking Across Egypt' and 'Common Ground'. His TV and film credits reduced during the 2000s due to his self-imposed sabbatical from acting, but he still made appearances in 'Smallville', 'The Simpsons', and '8 Simple Rules'. He briefly returned to TV in 2013 on the fourth season of 'Last Man Standing', to reunite with his TV parents from 'Home Improvement', Tim Allen and Patricia Richardson. In 2016, Richardson had revealed that he was working on "a really wonderful pilot", but the project didn't materialize.
- During his early childhood, Jonathan Taylor Thomas appeared in a number of TV commercials. From 1987 to 1993, he voiced the titular character of Spot in the US version of 'The Adventures of Spot'. In 1990, he made his acting debut playing the role of Kevin Brady on the TV series 'The Bradys', which itself was a spin-off of the 1970s show 'The Brady Bunch'. The following year, he went on to appear on the Fox sketch-comedy series 'In Living Color' and bagged the main role of Randy Taylor on the ABC sitcom 'Home Improvement', which made him a household name in the US. It also helped him earn roles in films, including a voice role as Young Simba in Disney's blockbuster animated musical 'The Lion King', the titular role in 'The Adventures of Pinocchio', and lead roles in several films including 'Man of the House', 'Tom and Huck' and 'Wild America'. He continued to work on 'Home Improvement' until 1998, when he left the show "to go to school, to travel and have a bit of a break". Despite walking away from acting at the height of his career, he is still remembered fondly by fans.
- While Jonathan Taylor Thomas has always avoided the limelight and even shifted focus away from a career in the entertainment industry, he still could not escape the inquisitiveness of fans and the media. Thomas, who had portrayed a bisexual hustler in 'Speedway Junky' (1999) and a closeted gay student in 'Common Ground' (1999), had always been subjected to speculations about his sexuality. Back in 2000, he had to address the rumors during an interview with 'The Advocate' in which he stated that his agent had informed him about the website 'CyberSleaze' spreading lies about him. He went on to claim that he didn't pay much attention to those rumors until his grandmother became upset hearing those on the radio. In 2011, television show host Chelsea Handler further fueled those speculations by raising the topic during an interview with Lo Bosworth, but the video of the interview was later taken down.
- In August 2018, Thomas became the latest victim of a death hoax on Facebook when someone posted on the social media platform that he had passed away. However, it was just one of several celebrity death hoaxes on the internet, and his representative publicly stated following the event that he was alive and healthy.
- Jonathan Taylor Thomas was born as Jonathan Taylor Weiss on September 8, 1981 in Bethlehem, Pennsylvania to Claudine Gonsalves and Stephen Weiss. His father was an industrial sales manager, while his mother was a personal manager and social worker. Actor and playwright, Jeff Weiss, is his paternal uncle. He has an older brother named Joel Thomas Weiss. Jonathan Taylor Thomas’ stage name is a combination of his first name, his middle name, and his brother's middle name. His family moved from Pennsylvania to California when he was only four years old.
- He studied at Chaminade College Preparatory School in West Hills, California, from where he graduated with honors in 2000. He then attended a philosophy and history course at Harvard University from 2000 to 2002 and spent one semester abroad at St Andrews University in Scotland during his third year. He completed his graduation from Columbia University School of General Studies in 2010. He has German and Portuguese ancestry.
- Despite rumors about his sexuality, Thomas was reportedly in a relationship with a model named Natalie Wright. The two got engaged in 2007, but ended their relationship later that year.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed