Joe Alwyn Biography
Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Joseph Matthew Alwyn
Born in: North London
Famous as: Actor
father: Richard Alwyn
mother: Elizabeth Alwyn
siblings: Patrick Alwyn, Thomas Alwyn
education: University of Bristol (2012), The Royal Central School of Speech and Drama
Joe Alwyn is an English actor who is best known for his roles in the movies ‘Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk’ and ‘The Favourite’. He has gained much popularity owing to his relationship with the famous singer-songwriter Taylor Swift. Although an "introverted" kid in childhood, he secretly wanted to be an actor. Following his graduation from City of London School, he joined National Youth Theatre in his teens. Alwyn had his first acting appearances in student productions while studying at the University of Bristol. He later earned his BA degree in acting from Royal Central School of Speech & Drama. The son of a documentary filmmaker father and a psychotherapist mother, Alwyn is also the great-grandson of conductor, music teacher, and composer William Alwyn. Despite being related to famous personalities, he has earned stardom on his own and has built an extensive fan base for himself both in the English entertainment industry and beyond.
- Joe Alwyn started his professional acting career in 2016 when he was cast in the lead role in Ang Lee's war drama flick ‘Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk’. Adapted from Ben Fountain’s 2012 novel of the same time, the movie also starred Kristen Stewart, Vin Diesel, Garrett Hedlund, Chris Tucker and Steve Martin in the main roles. It received mixed reviews from the critics and grossed just $30 million against its $40 million budget. After this, Alwyn had a supporting role in ‘The Sense of an Ending’, a British-American mystery drama flick that premiered at the Palm Springs International Film Festival.
- In 2018, the actor starred as Klaus Eichmann in the historical film ‘Operation Finale’ that followed the struggles faced by Israeli intelligence officers while trying to arrest former SS officer Otto Adolf Eichmann in 1960. That year, he also played Samuel Masham in ‘The Favourite’, a period comedy-drama movie set in the early 18th-century England. The film’s story examines the relationship between Abigail Masham, Baroness Masham and Sarah Churchill, Duchess of Marlborough, two cousins and favourites of Queen Anne. ‘The Favourite’ earned several awards and nominations including ten British Independent Film Awards and seven BAFTA Awards.
- In 2018, Alwyn also featured in the films ‘Boy Erased’ and ‘Mary Queen of Scots’ as Henry Wallace and Robert Dudley, respectively. While ‘Boy Erased’ is a biographical drama film following the son of Baptist parents who is compelled to participate in a gay conversion therapy program, the latter is a historical drama flick about the life of Mary I of Scotland who reigned over Scotland from 1542 to 1567.
- Joe Alwyn was born on 21 February 1991 in North London, England, to a psychotherapist mother and a filmmaker father. His great-grandfather was William Alwyn, a renowned composer and music teacher. His great-uncle is the famous political activist Bruce Kent who was engaged in the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament.
- Alwyn studied at the City of London School. He then attended the University of Bristol where he studied English literature and drama. After graduating in 2012, he earned a BA in acting from the prestigious Royal Central School of Speech & Drama.
- Talking about his love life, Alwyn is currently dating singer-songwriter Taylor Swift.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed