Jimmy Johnson Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: James William Johnson, Jimmy J, Jimmy J., Jimmy Jumpup
Born in: Port Arthur
Famous as: American football player
Spouse/Ex-: Linda Kay Cooper, Rhonda Rookmaaker
U.S. State: Texas
education: University of Arkansas, Memorial High School
awards: Best Coach/Manager ESPY Award - 1994
NFL Honors - AP Coach of the Year - 1990
Jimmy Johnson is a legendary American football coach who is credited with several awards and championships. Starting as an Assistant coach, Johnson worked through several years before finally being offered the Head Coach position for the National Football League (NFL) Dallas Cowboys. After several years he had a fallout with Jerry Jones and went on to become the head coach for Miami Dolphins. During his coaching the Dallas Cowboys won several championships. Johnson is also the first and one of only two football coaches who have lead teams to both a major college football championship and a Super Bowl winning the latter for two consecutive years. During his career Johnson has coached several famous head coaches including Butch Davis, Norv Turner, Tommy Tuberville, Dave Campo and Dave Wannstedt. He has also won awards acknowledging his career and has been inducted in the Football Hall of Fame. After a successful career he finally retired and associated himself with Fox Sports hosting sports shows. ‘Turning The Thing Around: My Life in Football’ is the book written by him which reflects his life as a football coach and inspires many players and future coaches. Scroll further for more interesting information on this personality
- Johnson was born on July 16, 1943 in Port Arthur, Texas and studied at ‘Thomas Jefferson High School’ with a strong interest in football.
- While attending the ‘University of Arkansas’, he played for the ‘Arkansas Razorbacks’ football team as a lineman. Many of his teammates went on to carve a niche for themselves in the professional football arena.
- In 1965, Johnson started his coaching career as an assistant coach at ‘Louisiana Tech University’. The next year he took up the same position at ‘Picayune Memorial High School’ in Picayune, Mississippi.
- From 1967-1970 he was assistant coach at several universities like ‘Wichita State University’ and ‘Iowa State University’.
- He took up the position of defensive coordinator in 1973 when he returned to Arkansas and continued in this position for the next three years.
- In 1977 he joined ‘University of Pittsburgh’ as assistant head coach and defensive coordinator. He continued in this position for another year coaching Randy Holloway, David Logan and Al Chesley.
- He took up the position of head coach at ‘Oklahoma State University’ in 1979 and coached here for next five years. Then he donned the cap of a head coach at the ‘University of Miami’.
- Johnson took up an offer by Jerry Jones to become head coach of the National Football League's ‘Dallas Cowboys’ and continued there from 1989 -93.
- After a fallout with Jerry Jones, owner of ‘Dallas Cowboys’ and Johnson’s teammate from the ‘Arkansas University’ team, he left the head coach position. The skilled coach then worked as a TV analyst for ‘Fox Sports’ for almost two years.
- In 1996, he joined the ‘Miami Dolphins’ as head coach. However, he recorded lesser wins in the season and after three years he resigned from the post.
- After retirement he again returned to ‘Fox Sports’ and is currently seen on ‘Fox NFL Sunday’. He has also made film and television appearances and was seen in the movie ‘The Waterboy’.
- He has also been seen in several infomercials and was seen in ‘BetterTrades’ in 2007. The former coach also had a working contract with the American consumer goods giant ‘Procter & Gamble’.
- In 2010, he announced that he would be seen in commercials for the male enhancement pill ‘ExtenZe’.
- In 1990, he was the winner of the ‘NFL Coach of the Year Award’ from ‘Associated Press’.
- He was the only ‘Super Bowl Winning Head Coach’ for two years consecutively for the Super Bowl XXVII and Super Bowl XXVIII held in the years 1993 and 1994 respectively.
- In 1996, Johnson was inducted into the ‘University of Miami Sports Hall of Fame’ after a highly successful season.
- In May 2012, he was inducted into the ‘College Football Hall of Fame’, which celebrated his career as a Football coach.
- On July 12, 1963, Johnson exchanged nuptial vows with Linda Kay Cooper and the couple has two sons.
- However, the marriage of Johnson and Linda culminated in divorce, in January 1990.
- In 1999, Johnson got married for the second time to Rhonda Rookmaaker and presently they reside in their abode at Islamorada, Florida.
- This famous American Football coach was a classmate of Janis Joplin and attended the same school with her
How To Cite
People Also Viewed