James Vanderbilt Biography
James Platten Vanderbilt, popularly known as James Vanderbilt, is an American screenwriter and film producer. He also goes by the name ‘Jamie.’ He was born into the aristocratic ‘Vanderbilt’ family, but had to climb the rungs to carve a niche in Hollywood. He began writing even before completing his graduation and managed to sell one script. He gained recognition for true-crime thriller ‘Zodiac’ (2007), which he wrote and produced. He collaborated with ‘Marvel Entertainment’ in 2012 for writing ‘The Amazing Spider-Man’ and ‘The Amazing Spider Man-2.’ He also wrote the 2016 science fiction disaster film ‘Independence Day: Resurgence.’ He was a co-producer and the screenplay writer of the 2013 political action-thriller ‘White House Down’ and the 2019 ‘Netflix’ comedy-mystery film ‘Murder Mystery.’
- James was born James Platten Vanderbilt to Alison Campbell and Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt III (of the famous ‘Vanderbilt’ family of New York), on November 17, 1975.
- He was raised in Norwalk, Connecticut, and attended school in New Canaan, Connecticut, and later graduated from the esteemed ‘St. Paul’s School,’ Concord, New Hampshire. He enrolled at the University of Southern California for graduation.
- James began writing scripts before graduating from the University and also managed to sell one. However, the script didn’t see the light of day.
- James’ breakthrough came in 2003 with ‘The Rundown,’ which starred Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. He wrote and produced ‘Basic,’ which featured John Travolta and Samuel L. Jackson, their second outing after the cult film ‘The Pulp Fiction.’ He also wrote the screenplay for the lesser-known ‘Darkness Falls.’
- He won appreciation for the critically-acclaimed ‘Zodiac,’ which starred Jake Gyllenhaal, Mark Ruffalo, and Robert Downey Jr., He was nominated for the ‘Best Adapted Screenplay’ at ‘Writer’s Guild of America Award’ and the ‘USC Scripter Award.’
- In 2010, he wrote ‘The Losers,’ an action film that boasts of an ensemble cast, including Jeffrey Dean Morgan, Zoe Saldana, Chris Evans, and Idris Elba.
- By writing for ‘Marvel Entertainment’s’ ‘The Amazing Spider-Man,’ in 2012, and its 2014 sequel, ‘The Amazing Spider-Man 2,’ he forayed in the superhero genre.
- He wrote and produced ‘White House Down,’ a political-action thriller starring Channing Tatum and Jamie Foxx.
- The film ‘The Truth’ marked his directorial debut in 2015. He also wrote and produced the film. Cate Blanchett and Robert Redford acted in the film. It was the opening night movie at the ‘Rome Film Festival.’ ‘The New York Times’ called it one of the top 10 films of the year.
- The first draft of the 2016 film ‘Independence Day: Resurgence’ was written by James.
- It is said that James is the uncredited writer for the sci-fi action film ‘The Meg,’ which was released in 2018. The same year he produced the supernatural horror film ‘Slender Man,’ fantasy-horror movie ‘Suspiria,’ fantasy comedy film ‘The House with a Clock in its Walls,’ and the documentary ‘American Dream/American Knightmare.’
- In 2018, he ventured into web series with ‘Altered Carbon.’ He was the executive producer of seven episodes of the series: ‘Clash by Night,’ ‘The Wrong Man,’ ‘Nora Inu,’ ‘Man with my Face,’ ‘The Killers,’ ‘Rage in Heaven,’ and ‘Out of the Past.’
- In 2019, he wrote and produced the Netflix’ comedy-mystery film ‘Murder Mystery,’ which featured Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler. He was the executive producer of the black comedy- horror film ‘Ready or Not.’
- James is a member of the famous ‘Vanderbilt’ family. His paternal grandfather, Alfred Gwynne Vanderbilt, was a former chairman of the ‘New York Racing Association.’ His maternal grandfather, Donald Campbell Platten, was the chief executive and chairman of ‘Chemical Bank,’ which after mergers and acquisitions, is now part of the J.P. Morgan Chase Bank.
- Some of James’ contemporary famous relatives include the socialite, artist, author, and fashion designer Gloria Vanderbilt; journalist, TV personality Anderson Cooper; actor-producer Timothy Olyphant; and singer-musician John P. Hammond.
- James is married to Amber Freeman, an interior designer. The couple has three children. They currently stay in Malibu, California.
- The couple met in January 1999 at ‘St. Nick’s Pub,’ a bar near Beverly Hills. It was her 21st birthday party, and her friend Alisha Sammarcelli threw a dare at her to kiss many of the men at the venue. This is how she came across James, and the love was instant. After a courtship of close to six years, they tied the knot on May 7, 2005.
- James drove to Palm Desert, California, covering a distance of hundred and twenty miles to meet Freeman’s father and ask for her hand in marriage.
- Amber was once treated for a mysterious blood disease. It was later diagnosed as ‘idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura.’ However, post the treatment the symptoms never recurred.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed