Evanna Lynch Biography
Sun Sign: Leo
Born in: Termonfeckin, Republic of Ireland
Famous as: Actress
father: Donal Lynch
siblings: Emily Lynch, Máiréad Lynch, Patrick Lynch
education: Our Lady's College, Greenhills
Evanna Patricia Lynch is an Irish actress and model known for her role of Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter film series. Having won a 'Scream Award' as well as being nominated for a 'Young Artist Award', for her brilliant performance in 'Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince', she is one of the most popular actors of the film series. Evanna, being a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, earned her first role in the fifth film of the franchise 'Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix', for which she auditioned against 15,000 other hopeful aspirants. Producers, as well as JK Rowling, the writer of the series, found her perfect for the role. Her performance was loved by both critics and audience and she continued appearing as Luna in the three subsequent movies as well. Other appearances of Lynch include a role in an episode of the adventure fantasy TV series 'Sinbad' and the lead role in the 2015 drama film 'My Name Is Emily'. Lynch also provided the voice for Luna in the Harry Potter games, which were adapted from the series. Having suffered from Anorexia nervosa in the past, Lynch spends a lot of time promoting healthy self-esteem and body image in young girls. She wrote an essay 'Why the Body Bind is My Nightmare' describing her emotional struggles with her appearance and how she overcame it.
- Evanna Lynch was born in Termonfeckin, in County Louth, Ireland on 16 August 1991. Her parents are Donal and Marguerite Lynch. She has three siblings.
- At an early age, Evanna became a huge Harry Potter fan, and started sending letters to the author JK Rowling. She studied at Cartown National School, situated in her hometown, and later at Our Lady’s College, in Drogheda, County Louth.
- In 2007, Evanna Lynch made her debut performance with the film ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix’, the fifth movie of the series. The film was a huge hit, grossing $938 million worldwide. It was also loved by both critics and the audience. She also did the voice role for Luna, for the video game of the same name, based on the movie.
- She reprised the role of Luna in ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince,’ the sixth installment of the series. Grossing over $900 million worldwide, the film was a huge success commercially. Also loved by critics and audience, it received an Oscar nomination as well. Evanna’s role earned her a ‘Scream Award’ and a nomination for the Young Artist Award.
- She once again portrayed Luna in ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 1’, the seventh film of the series. Like the previous films, it was also a success, both financially and critically. Evanna’s performance was highly appreciated, but the film was criticized for underutilizing her skills. Like her previous works, she also did the voice role in the video game, which was based on the film.
- In 2011, she appeared in ‘Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows- Part 2’, the final installment of the series. The film was a huge success, and grossed over $ 1.328 billion, becoming the fifth-highest grossing film of all time. Loved by both critics and audience, the film received several awards and won three nominations for the Oscars as well. Evanna also reprised her role in the video game, based on the movie.
- In 2012, she appeared in an episode of the adventure-fantasy TV series ‘Sinbad’. The following year, she appeared in the movie ‘G.B.F. (Gay Best Friend)’, a teen comedy film directed by Darren Stein. Though the film wasn’t much of a commercial success, it received mostly positive reviews.
- She played the lead role in the 2015 drama film ‘My Name is Emily’. Directed by Simon Fitzmaurice, the film is about a sixteen-year-old girl Emily, who runs away from her foster home, and wants to release her father, who is in a mental institution.
- Her latest appearance was in the British TV film ‘Danny and the Human Zoo’. The film was aired on BBC One on 31 August 2015.
- Evanna Lynch’s first film appearance was in the 2007 fantasy film ‘Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix,’ the fifth film of the Harry Potter series. Directed by David Yates, the film also starred actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Helena Bonham Carter, Robbie Coltrane, and Warwick Davis. Evanna appeared as Luna Lovegood, a friend of the main character Harry Potter, a role for which she received wide appreciation. Grossing more than $900 million worldwide, the film was a huge success. It also received mostly positive reviews.
- Her role in ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, is another one among the significant works of her career. Directed by David Yates, the film is the sixth movie of the Harry Potter series. It included actors Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, Emma Watson, Jim Broadbent, Helena Bonham Carter, and Robbie Coltrane. Evanna’s reprisal of Luna won her the Scream Award as well as a nomination for the Young Artist Award, both for ‘Best Supporting Actress.’ The film was a success, both critically and commercially, and won an Oscar nomination as well.
- She appeared in the 2015 drama film ‘My Name is Emily’ where she played the lead role of a girl named Emily, who runs away from her foster home, and is on a mission to free her father from a mental institution. Directed by Simon Fitzmaurice, with Evanna in the lead role, the film also starred Michael Smiley, George Webster, Sarah Minto, and Deirdre Mullins. The film premiered in July 2015 at the Galway Film Fleadh, an international film festival.
- For her role in ‘Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince’, Evanna Lynch won the ‘Scream Award’, as well as a nomination for the ‘Young Artist Award’, both for Best Supporting Actress.
- She received a nomination from the ‘Irish Film and Drama Awards’ in 2016 for Actress in a Lead Role Film for her role in ‘My Name is Emily’.
- Evanna Lynch was once in a relationship with her Harry Potter co-star, Robbie Jarvis. The couple is no longer together.
- Currently, she resides in Los Angeles, in the United States. She is a cat lover and owns several cats, including Luna, Dumbledore, and Crookshanks. She is also a vegan.
Evanna Lynch Movies
1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (2011)
(Adventure, Fantasy, Mystery, Drama)
2. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1 (2010)
(Mystery, Family, Adventure, Fantasy)
3. Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007)
(Mystery, Family, Adventure, Fantasy)
4. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (2009)
(Fantasy, Mystery, Family, Adventure)
5. G.B.F. (2013)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed