Ethan Juan Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Ruan Ching-tien, Ruan Jing-tian
Born Country: Taiwan
Born in: Taichung City, Taiwan
Famous as: Actor
Notable Alumni: Hsing Wu University
education: Hsing Wu University
Ethan Juan is a Taiwanese model and actor who came to limelight with the 2008 drama series ‘Fated to Love You’. He has also earned stardom for his performance in the film ‘Monga’ for which he earned the 47th Golden Horse Award for best actor. Born and raised in Taichung, Taiwan, Juan hails from a military family; his father has been a soldier, and his mother, a military nurse. He was a competitive swimmer in childhood, and his achievements helped him enroll into the prestigious National Teaching First Senior High School. However, Juan dropped out and ended up graduating only after transferring to five different schools. Following a number of part-time jobs and earning a degree in tourism from Hsing Wu University, he started his career as a model in 2002. Juan’s acting debut came in 2004 with the TV show 'Michael the Archangel's Dance'. Since then, he has been acting in both films and television shows. For several years, he had an on and off relationship with actress Tiffany Hsu.
- Ethan Juan made his acting debut in 2004 when he was cast in the television show ‘Michael the Archangel's Dance’. A year later, he made an appearance in ‘Green Forest, My Home’ that ran for 15 episodes. His movie debut came in 2007 when he starred in the film ‘Exit No. 6’. That year, he also played Shao Nan in ‘Wayward Kenting’, a TV drama that focused on love, responsibilities, and dreams.
- In 2008, Juan rose to fame when he played Ji Cunxi in the romantic drama series ‘Fated to Love You’. The drama became an instant hit and earned six award nominations at the 43rd Golden Bell Awards and won one for the Best Television Series. Also, in 2008, the actor had cameo appearances in the film ‘Orz Boyz’ as well as in the show ‘Invincible Shan Bao Mei’. This was followed by his role in the romantic-comedy 'My Queen'.
- His career reached further heights when he played the role of a monk in the 2010 film ‘Monga’, a gangster thriller set in 1980s Taipei starring Mark Chao, Ko Chia-yen, and Ma Ju-lung. Two years later, Juan had a role in Doze Niu's Taiwanese-Chinese romance flick ‘Love’. The film, focusing on different types of relationships between friends, family, co-workers, and lovers, premiered at the 62nd Berlin International Film Festival.
- During 2015 and 2016, the actor featured in several big-screen projects, including ‘The Assassin’, ‘Cities in Love’, and ‘Never Said Goodbye’, to name a few. He was also a cast member of the show 'The Great Challenge' during this period. Then in 2017, he starred in the web series 'The Weasel Grave' that was adapted from the second book of Zhang Muye’s novel series ‘Ghost Blows Out the Light.’ This was followed by his appearances in the shows ‘Legend of Fuyao’ and ‘Love in a Fallen City’ in 2018 and 2019, respectively. Also, in 2019, Juan did the Chinese historical fantasy comedy flick ‘The Knight of Shadows: Between Yin and Yang’.
- Ethan Juan was born on as Ruan Ching-tien on 8 November 1982, in Taichung, Taiwan, to a soldier father and a military nurse mother. He has a younger brother who works as an air force pilot. Juan attended National Teaching First Senior High School. He later graduated from Hsing Wu University. From 2012 to 2013, he served in the military.
- From 2006 to 2015, Juan had an on and off relationship with Tiffany Hsu, a Taiwanese actress. She is of part Italian origin but has never acted in Italian films.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed