Ellen Muth Biography
Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Ellen Anna Muth
Born in: Milford, Connecticut, United States
Famous as: Actress
father: Erich Muth
mother: Rachel Muth
U.S. State: Connecticut
education: Lee Strasberg Theatre and Film Institute, Skip Barber Racing School
Ellen Anna Muth is an American actor, best known for her performances in the film ‘Dolores Claiborne’ and the TV series ‘Dead Like Me.’ She is a former member of the high IQ groups ‘Mensa International’ and ‘Intertel.’ Born and raised in Connecticut, US, she showed an inclination toward acting in early childhood. Muth was registered with ‘Ford Models’ and appeared in a few commercials, too. Later, she took acting lessons at the ‘Lee Strasberg Theater and Film Institute,’ New York. Her first major acting assignment was as ‘Selena’ in the film ‘Dolores Claiborne,’ which won her appreciation and awards. Muth also received awards and nominations for her performances in the film ‘The Young Girl and Monsoon’ and the TV series ‘Dead Like Me.’ Muth has appeared in a number of other films, such as ‘Rain,’ ‘A Gentleman’s Game,’ and ‘Margarine Wars.’ She has also been part of TV films such as ‘The Truth about Jane’ and ‘Two against Time’ and TV series such as ‘The Beat,’ ‘Cara Unashamed,’ and ‘Hannibal.’ Muth prefers to keep her personal life away from the media. Rumors claim she has dated actor Jeffrey Donovan for a while but is currently not in any relationship.
- Muth was born on March 6, 1981, in Milford, Connecticut, US, to Dr. Erich Muth, a renowned optician, and his wife, Rachel Muth. Ellen has an older brother, Karl. She studied at the ‘Skip Barber Racing School.’ During her childhood, Muth participated in diverse activities, such as dancing, horseback riding, voice training, and target shooting.
- She was interested in acting since childhood. At 10, she decided to learn the craft. Her entire family supported her interest in acting. At 12, she decided to model and her pictures were used to promote her father’s optician practice. Later, she joined ‘Ford Models.’ She appeared in some commercials in 1993. Deciding to take up acting as a profession, she joined the ‘Lee Strasberg Theater and Film Institute,’ New York, and graduated in 1994.
- She made her acting debut with the role of ‘Laura’ in an episode of ‘All My Children’ (1994). In 1995, she portrayed the role of ‘Selena St. George’ in the film ‘Dolores Claiborne,’ which was based on a novel by Stephen King. She film also starred Kathy Bates and Jennifer Jason Leigh. Her performance fetched her accolades at the tender age of 14. She won the 1995 ‘Tokyo International Film Festival Award’ for the ‘Best Supporting Actress.’
- Muth then appeared in an ‘off-Broadway’ production named ‘Nine Armenians.’ In 1997, she worked in an episode of the TV series ‘Law & Order.’ Her next major role was that of ‘Constance’ in the 1999 film ‘The Young Girl and the Monsoon.’ This role of a disturbed teenage daughter of divorced parents earned her rave reviews and the ‘American Film Institute Los Angeles International Film Festival’ award for the ‘Best Actress.’
- Following this, she appeared in a few episodes of the TV series ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit,’ the ‘UPN’ drama ‘The Beat,’ and ‘Cara Unashamed.’ The 2001 TV film ‘The Truth about Jane’ featured her in the titular role, which was a complex character. In another TV film, ‘Two against Time’ (2002), Muth starred as ‘Emma Portman,’ alongside Marlo Thomas. She was also part of the feature films ‘Rain’ (2001) and ‘A Gentleman’s Game’ (2002) and the TV miniseries ‘Superfire’ (2002).
- One of her career-defining roles was that of ‘Georgia “George” Lass’ in the ‘Showtime’ series ‘Dead Like Me’ (2003–2004). This performance won her two nominations in 2004: a ‘Saturn Award’ nomination for the ‘Best Actress on Television’ and a ‘Satellite Award’ nomination for the ‘Best Actress – Television Series Drama.’ A film based on this series, ‘Dead Like Me: Life After Death,’ directed by Stephan Herek, was released in 2009, in which Muth reprised her role.
- Muth acted in an MFA thesis short film named ‘Jack N Jill’ (2008) and lent her voice to the character ‘Addie Vost’ in the animated film ‘Tofu the Vegan Zombie.’ She played ‘Rose’ in the 2011 short film ‘Rose and Violet’ and ‘Katie Trumbull’ in the romantic comedy ‘Margarine Wars’ (2012).
- She appeared as ‘Georgia Madchen’ in two episodes of ‘NBC’s 2013 horror–thriller TV series ‘Hannibal,’ which was developed by Bryan Fuller of ‘Dead Like Me.’
- She directed an episode of the series ‘Tales from Dark Fall.’
- Muth enjoys driving six-speed cars and loves Burmese cats.
- Not much is known about her personal life. Reportedly, she was in a relationship with actor Jeffrey Donovan during 2004. However, she is currently not dating anyone.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed