Derek Luh Biography
Derek Luh is an American hip-hop singer and songwriter. He was the first recording artist to sign with the record label, ‘Fly America,’ owned by Mark Battles. Luh stepped into the field of music with his debut album, ‘LA Confidential.’ Even before the release of this album, he had considerable fan following on the social media platforms. Later, Luh toured with famous rapper Machine Gun Kelly. Derek Luh has collaborated with several famous artists, including French Montana, Wale, and Dizzy Wright. Luh has released an extended play titled ‘Disposable Hero.’ His mixtape, ‘The Second Coming,’ also became popular among music lovers. Luh released a few more albums such as ‘The Fortunate Few,’ and ‘Hollywood Blvd.’ He has several single tracks such as ‘Bad Boys,’ and ‘Now You Know,’ to his credit. His latest track, ‘Grow Up,’ was a big success.
- Derek Luh was born on June 24, 1992, in Valencia, California. He has a mixed ethnicity, including Asian. Not much is known about his parents. Luh has a sister, Delaney. There is no information about his educational background.
- Luh’s mother is a music lover. She had a collection of music by artists, such as Shania Twain, Alan Jackson, and TLC. Luh grew up listening to these songs, and this greatly influenced his choice of career. His uncle introduced him to ‘Rage Against the Machine,’ ‘Jay-Z,’ and ‘Eminem.’ His mother was initially skeptical about his choice, and wanted him to pursue college studies. Luh’s grandparents wanted him to become a doctor.
- Though Luh respected the traditional values upheld by his family, he was inclined towards becoming a musician. In his single, ‘Grow Up,’ Luh speaks about his childhood, and the struggles that he faced as a child.
- Derek Luh released his debut mixtape, ‘L.A. Confidential,’ in 2013. The track, ‘Blow It Out’ featured Dizzy Wright, while the track, ‘Flying High,’ featured Mark Battles, and Lola Monroe. The album received positive reviews from music lovers.
- Following the success of his debut album, Luh set out on a tour of 34 cities along with Mark Battles. He toured with rapper Machine Gun Kelly too. In 2013, Luh signed a contract with ‘Fly America,’ the record label owned by Mark Battles. He was the first recording artist to sign a contract with Battles.
- Derek Luh has promoted his music via social media platforms. Most of his works were released on online music sharing platforms. On March 15, 2014, the ‘Fox Weekly’ named him as the ‘number 9 artist to watch.’ He collaborated with musicians such as Wale, French Montana, and Dizzy Wright. Luh featured with French Montana, in the single track, ‘Can’t Stand Us,’ by Mark Battles. He featured with Wale, in Battles’ mixtape, ‘Black Einstein.’
- In 2015, Luh released the album, ‘The Fortunate Few.’ It featured rapper Skate. In the same year, Luh released his mixtape, ‘The Second Coming.’ With this mixtape, Luh made his debut in ‘HNHH,’ or Hot New Hip Hop.’ It was produced by J. Cuse and well-received by his followers.
- In September 2015, Luh released his album, ‘Hollywood Blvd.’ This was one of his most downloaded albums. It had several powerful tracks. It featured Mark Battles, and Brittani Jenae.
- In 2017, Derek Luh released the extended play, ‘Disposable Hero.’ It had many popular tracks, including ‘Nice To Meet Ya,’ and ‘Just Might.’ Luh released several single tracks too. His single, ‘Bad Boy,’ was produced by J. Cuse. The song had meaningful lyrics, which concentrated on the brutalities committed by the police. It also revealed Luh’s frustrations about such matters being trivialized as a ‘hashtag.’ The song conveyed a powerful message.
- In 2017, Luh released his single, ‘Grow Up,’ which was a big hit with music lovers. Luh used his childhood memories while writing the lyrics of the song. In the song, he gave a comic touch to his unpleasant memories from childhood. It became highly popular, as most people could easily relate to the lyrics.
- Derek Luh is not married. He is not known to be in any relation. He prefers to keep his private life away from public eyes. Luh is mostly seen in casual wear. He loves getting inked and has several tattoos on his body.
- Luh has taken up the role of a social media influencer quite earnestly. He connects with his followers, and maintains a close relationship with them.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed