David Dastmalchian Biography
David Dastmalchian is an American actor who has acted in TV, films, as well as theater. Born in Pennsylvania in the United States, and raised in Kansas, he began his film career playing a minor role in Christopher’s Nolan hit film ‘The Dark Knight’. The film was a huge success, critically as well as commercially. His most significant works include his lead role in the psychological thriller film ‘The Employer’. The film, which was directed by Frank Merle, was a success and received positive reviews from critics. It also won several awards. Dastmalchian played a supporting role in the superhero film ‘Ant-Man’ which also earned him critical acclaim. The film was a huge commercial success. Also a proficient theater actor, he is known for his roles in plays, such as ‘The Glass Menagerie’ by Tennessee Williams and ‘Buried Child’ by Sam Shepard. Over the course of his career so far, he has also played guest roles in several popular TV shows, such as ‘Ray Donovan’, ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation’ and ‘Gotham’.
- David Dastmalchian was born on 21st July 1977 in Pennsylvania in the United States. He was raised in Kansas, where he studied at Shawnee Mission South High School.
- Initially he aspired to play college football but then changed his mind after he got a scholarship to study at the Theatre School, DePaul University, in Chicago.
- Before starting his professional acting career, he worked as a fisherman, a circus performer, a theatre usher as well as a playwright. He also went through a period of struggling with drug addiction before getting clean.
- David Dastmalchian began his acting career with a minor role in the 2008 superhero film ‘The Dark Knight’. Directed by the renowned filmmaker Christopher Nolan, the film was about the vigilante superhero Batman, trying to bring down the psychopathic criminal named The Joker. The film was a huge success, grossing more than one billion. It won two Oscars as well.
- He was next seen in a supporting role in the 2009 film ‘Horsemen’. The film revolved around a detective investigating a series of murders. He then discovers a terrifying link between himself and the suspects that seems to be based on a strange Biblical prophecy. The film received average reviews.
- He played a supporting role in the 2012 crime film ‘Sushi Girl’. He gained a lot of attention the next year after playing one of the main roles in the psychological thriller film ‘The Employer’. The movie won several awards. The same year, he also appeared in an episode of the popular TV series ‘Ray Donovan’.
- In 2014, he gained popularity for his lead role in the film ‘Animals’. The film revolved around a young couple living somewhere between homelessness and the fantasy of their imaginations. The following year, he was seen in a supporting role in the drama film ‘Chronic’. He was also seen in the superhero film ‘Ant-Man’, which was directed by Peyton Reed.
- Meanwhile, he also appeared in guest roles in several TV shows including ‘CSI: Crime Scene Investigation’ (2014), ‘CSI: Cyber’ (2015), ’12 Monkeys’ (2016), ‘MacGyver’ (2016) and ‘The Flash’ (2017). He was seen playing a supporting role in the 2017 survival horror film ‘The Belko Experiment’ as well.
- David Dastmalchian played an important role in the 2013 psychological thriller film ‘The Employer’. Directed by Frank Merle, the film also starred Malcolm McDowell, Paige Howard, Billy Zane, Matthew Willig and Nicki Aycox. The film is about an employer who interviews several people for a job at a mysterious powerful corporation. The film was met with positive reviews and won several awards as well.
- Another significant work in Dastmalchian’s career is his supporting role in the superhero film ‘Ant-Man’. Directed by Peyton Reed, the film also starred Paul Rudd, Evangeline Lilly, Corey Stoll, Bobby Cannavale and Michael Pena. The film was a huge success commercially and was met with mostly positive reviews. It also won a ‘Saturn Award’ for Best Comic-to film Motion Picture.
- His most recent works on the big screen include his supporting role in the horror film ‘The Belko Experiment’. Directed by Greg Mclean, the film starred John Gallagher, Tony Goldwyn, Adria Arjona, John C McGinley, Melonie Diaz, Josh Brener and Michael Rooker. The film was a commercial success and grossed nearly twice its budget. The film was met with average reviews.
- David Dastmalchian won the ‘Best Screenplay Writer Award’ at the 2011 New York Independent Film & Video Festival for his work in the short film ‘Keen’. He also received an award for ‘Best Actor’ for his role in the film.
- He won a ‘Performance Award’ in 2012 for his role in ‘The Assassination of Chicago's Mayor’ at the Filmstock International Film Festival.
- In 2015, Dastmalchian won an award at the Arpa International Film Festival for ‘Breakthrough Artist of the Year’.
- At the Midwest Independent Film Festival in 2014, he won the Grand Jury Prize for his role in the film ‘Animals.’ His work in the film also earned him awards at the SXSW Film Festival and at the Virginia Film Festival. He also won an award for ‘Best Feature’ at the ‘Flagler Film Festival’ in 2016 for the same movie.
- David Dastmalchian is believed to be single. He has not shared much information regarding his dating and personal life with the media.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed