David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie Biography
David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie is the adopted son of the famous American singer Madonna. David, who has now emerged as a promising footballer, was adopted from a nursing home in Malawi. However, the adoption procedure was not so easy for Madonna. David’s biological father created some issues, which made the legal procedure a little difficult. Because of Madonna’s controversial lifestyle, her divorce and her son's custody, David's biological father was reluctant in giving his son for adoption. Nevertheless, the matter is resolved now and David is living a good life with all the luxuries. He is working hard to make a career in football.
- David was born on September 24, 2005, in the southeastern African country, Malawi. His biological father, Yohane, abandoned the newborn in the nursing home after his mother died. Later, the baby was handed over to the 'Home of Hope' orphanage located in the district of 'Mchinji.'
- A month later, when the famous celebrity singer, Madonna visited the orphanage while touring for one of her charity programs, she saw David for the first time. He was not in a good health. Suffering from pneumonia then, the little David was on the verge of death. Madonna immediately filed for an adoption and wanted the baby as soon as possible. After the initial official legalities were over, the baby was finally handed over to Madonna. She named the baby David Banda Mwale Ciccone Ritchie, which included the names of his birthplace and Madonna’s then-husband, Guy Ritchie.
- Even after Madonna got the permission to adopt David, she had to sweat really hard to get the possession of the baby. At the time of David’s adoption, Maddona’s divorce was already filed. She was battling for the custody of her biological son with Guy Ritchie. Out of nowhere, Yohane came into the picture and said that he would withdraw the custody as Madonna's controversial lifestyle might affect David's future. He wanted the celebrity singer to first resolve her other legal issues. Madonna again had to go through all the procedures for adoption. The legalities ran for a little longer. Madonna later visited Malawi, along with David, to have a final settlement with Yohane. That was David’s first visit to his birthplace after his adoption.
- David was passionate about football from the very beginning. He started his training early. He later moved to Lisbon to continue with his training under the 'Benfica Academy.'
- In 2018, Madonna visited one of the 'Benfica Youth' team’s matches to cheer for her son. David displayed some incredible skills on the ground. The Portuguese club, ‘Benfica,’ won the league and David was even awarded as the best performer in the 'Under-12' category.
- Madonna and David have made a couple of public appearances together. The mother-son duo attended the 'Rebel Heart Tour' in 2015 where they were seen singing ‘Like a Prayer.’ They also walked on the red carpet of the '2014 Grammy Awards' while donning matching black business suits. Madonna, who is highly active on social media, keeps posting pictures and videos featuring David. She once posted a video footage showing him singing and dancing.
- When Madonna adopted David, she was still married to Guy Ritchie. This officially makes him David’s father.
- David has four sisters. Lourdes Leon, the American singer is Madonna’s first biological child. David has an adopted sister named Mercy James. Madonna later adopted the twins, Esther and Stella Mwale. David has two brothers namely Rocco John Ritchie, an actor; and Rafael Ritchie.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed