Daniel Baldwin Biography
Sun Sign: Libra
Also Known As: Daniel Leroy Baldwin
Born in: Massapequa, Town of Oyster Bay, New York, United States
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Joanne Smith (m. 2007), Elizabeth Baldwin (m. 1990–1996)
father: Alexander Rae Baldwin
mother: Carol Newcomb (née Martineau)
children: Alexandra Baldwin, Atticus Baldwin, Avis Ann Baldwin, Finley Rae Martineau Baldwin, Kahlea Baldwin
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Daniel Leroy Baldwin is a popular American actor, producer, and director. He has acted in movies as well as TV series. He started his acting career with a television movie in 1988. After that, he acted in a number of films in the early 1990s before returning to television. Some of the movies he is famous for are ‘Ned Blessing: The True Story of My Life’, ‘Mulholland Falls’, ‘Vampires’, ‘The Pandora Project’, ‘Stealing Candy’, ‘Paparazzi’, and ‘Grey Garden’. Baldwin has also featured in several reality shows, including ‘Big Brother’. He has been a cocaine addict since 1989 and was arrested many times. Over the years his problems with drug abuse got worse and ruined his reputation. Baldwin was arrested for stealing a car in 2006, but was set free after the charges were dropped. He made an appearance on a reality show ‘Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew,’ but left the show in between due to his inappropriate behaviour with a contestant. He has three brothers and two sisters; all the Baldwin brothers are actors by profession and have featured in a number of films.
- Daniel Baldwin was born on 5th October 1960 in Massapequa, New York, United States. He is the son of Alexander Rae Baldwin Jr. and Carol Newcomb. Baldwin’s mother, a breast cancer survivor, founded the Carol M. Baldwin Breast Care Center.
- His father, Alexander Rae Baldwin Jr., was a high school history/social studies teacher and a football coach. Baldwin has mixed English, Scottish, Irish, French-Canadian and German ancestry.
- All three of Daniel Baldwin’s brothers, Alec Baldwin, William Baldwin, and Stephen Baldwin are well-known actors. He also has two sisters, Beth Baldwin Keuchler and Jane Baldwin Sasso. Daniel is the second eldest of the brothers.
- In 1979, Baldwin graduated from Alfred G.Berner High School in Massapequa. He was a high school football and basketball player. He also attended McKenna Junior High School.
- Daniel Baldwin made his acting debut in 1988, in the TV movie ‘Too Good to Be True’ which was based on a novel ‘Leave Her to Heaven’ by Ben Ames Williams. Following this, he started acting in films, such as ‘Born on the Fourth of July’ which was released in 1989, ‘Harley Davidson and the Marlboro Man,’ released in 1991, and ‘Hero,’ released in 1992.
- In 1990, Baldwin returned to television and featured in a sitcom ‘Sydney’ which also starred Matthew Perry. But the sitcom only lasted for one season which had 13 episodes.
- Baldwin continued his stint with TV and starred in the Baltimore-based cop show ‘Homicide: Life on the Street’ in 1993. Despite receiving good reviews and appreciation for his work, Baldwin left the show in 1995 after three seasons. Later, his character was killed off in the show.
- Returning to TV movies, he acted in films like ‘Attack of the 50 Ft. Woman,’ ‘Family of Cops’ and ‘Twisted Desire’. In 1996, he was featured in films such as ‘Mulholland Falls’ and ‘Trees Lounge’.
- In 1998, Baldwin earned himself a role in a romantic comedy film ‘It Had to Be You’ but was replaced by Michael Rispoli after his arrest for cocaine possession.
- Baldwin made appearances in a few episodes of the TV series ‘The Sopranos’ and in a direct-to-video movie ‘Homicide: The Movie’ in 2000. He also starred in TV movies ‘Anonymous Rex’ (2004) and ‘Our Fathers’ (2005), and a few small-budget films such as ‘Sidekick’ (2005) and ‘Moola’ (2006).
- He played the character of Julius Krug in the Award Winning HBO film based on the documentary ‘Grey Gardens’ in 2008. The same year, he also made appearances on tryTV’s ‘The Smoking Gun Presents: World’s Dumbest’.
- In 2010, Daniel Baldwin featured in a breast cancer docu-drama ‘1 a minute’. The documentary was based on the struggles of breast cancer survivors. It was made by Namrata Singh Gujral and featured a few celebrities and also some breast cancer survivors.
- Daniel Baldwin has been featured in a number of reality shows in his career. In 2005, he was seen in VH1’s ‘Celebrity Fit Club’, a show where overweight celebrities compete with each other to lose weight.
- In 2008, Baldwin starred in VH1’s reality show ‘Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew’ which he left after the fourth episode. Later it was reported that the reason for his departure from the show was his misconduct with a fellow contestant.
- In June 2009, he was seen in the reality show ‘I’m a Celebrity...Get Me out of Here!’ alongside his brother Stephen Baldwin.
- He also appeared on the first episode of ‘Celebrity Wife Swap’ in 2014. In 2015, he entered the ‘Celebrity Big Brother’ house and was eliminated in nine days. He was the first housemate to be evicted as the fellow housemates found him arrogant.
- Daniel Baldwin is best known for his role of Detective Beau Felton in the TV series ‘Homicide: Life on the Street.’ The show was a big success which ran for seven seasons from 1993 to 1999. Baldwin’s role of hard-headed tough guy was much appreciated.
- Daniel Baldwin won the Burbank International Film Festival Award for Best Actor for his role in ‘The Wisdom to Know the Difference’ in 2014. The film, which he had also directed, won the San Antonio Film Festival Audience Award for Best Feature Film.
- In 2014, he won Best Supporting Actor at the Madrid International Film Festival for his movie ‘Helen Alone’.
- In 1998, Baldwin was arrested for possession of cocaine after he was found running naked through halls of New York’s Plaza Hotel. Later, he pleaded guilty and was sentenced to three months in drug rehab.
- He was again arrested in April 2006 for possession of drug paraphernalia in a hotel in Santa Monica. On July 19, 2006, he ran a red light in West L.A before crashing his rented Ford Thunderbird. He suffered a few back and neck injuries and was later arrested.
- As per few media reports, Baldwin was arrested on November 7, 2006, after allegedly stealing a white GMC Yukon SUV. He was taken to jail and the bail was set at $20,000. All the charges against him were eventually dropped.
- An arrest warrant was issued against him in 2007 by the Orange County Superior Court for his failure to show up for an arraignment on the auto-theft charge.During this time, Baldwin was busy shooting a film in Detroit, but later on pleaded not guilty to the charges.
- Daniel Baldwin was first married to Cheryl, and had a daughter, Kahlea, who was born in 1984. In 1990, he married Elizabeth who was an actress, and they had a daughter, Alexandra, in 1994. He divorced Elizabeth in 1996.
- In the 1990s, Baldwin was romantically involved with Isabella Hofmann, his co-star from ‘Homicide: Life on the Street’. Their son Atticus was born in July 1996; he was named after Baldwin’s favourite character in the novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’. Atticus suffers from autism.
- He married a former British model, Joanne Smith, with whom he had a daughter, Avis Ann, born in 2008. In 2009, their second daughter Finely Rae Martineau was born. In 2012, Joanne filed for divorce. Two years later, Baldwin got engaged to an entrepreneur, Robin Sue Hertz Hempel in 2014.
- Daniel is the only one out of the four Baldwin brothers who has not been nominated at the Razzie Awards.
- An Estonian lifestyle magazine ‘Heat’ has dedicated a monthly column to him titled ‘Who is Daniel Baldwin?’ which talks about Hollywood’s mediocre B-list actors.
Daniel Baldwin Movies
1. The Neighborhood (2017)
2. Sicilian Vampire (2015)
(Drama, Thriller, Crime, Horror)
3. Born on the Fourth of July (1989)
(War, Drama, Biography)
4. Trees Lounge (1996)
5. Hero (1992)
(Comedy, Drama, Romance)
6. Phoenix (1998)
7. King of the Ants (2003)
(Thriller, Drama, Crime)
8. Mulholland Falls (1996)
(Thriller, Crime, Mystery, Drama)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed