Christopher Masterson Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Christopher Kennedy Masterson
Born in: Long Island, New York
Famous as: Actor
father: Peter Masterson
mother: Carol Masterson
City: New York City
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Christopher Kennedy Masterson is an American film and television actor turned disc jockey. He garnered fame for playing Francis in Fox’s family comedy ‘Malcolm in the Middle’. A native of the state of New York, Masterson has been acting since he was eight years old. He made his screen debut in 1988 in the telefilm ‘Hiroshima Maiden’. In 1992, he appeared in his debut feature film, the romantic comedy ‘Singles’. His first significant role was in the short-lived CBS family-drama, ’The Road Home’. He also had various roles in films like ‘Cutthroat Island’, ‘The Sunchaser’, ‘Campfire Tales’, ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’, ‘American History X’, ‘Wuthering Heights’, ‘Intellectual Property’, and ‘Made for Each Other’. Masterson started appearing as Francis from the pilot episode of ‘Malcolm in the Middle’ and went to portray the character in all seven seasons of the show. As a member of the cast of the show, he was jointly awarded the YoungStar Award for Best Young Ensemble Cast in 2000. Since the conclusion of ‘Malcolm in the Middle’, he has made a professional transition to become a disc jockey.
- Christopher Masterson debuted as an actor when he was eight years old in the 1988 TV movie ‘Hiroshima Maiden’, portraying the character Timmy Bennett. He did not work for the following four years before appearing in Cameron Crowe’s romantic comedy ‘Singles’ in 1992. In the film, he got the chance to share screen space with Bridget Fonda, Campbell Scott, Kyra Sedgwick, and Matt Dillon. That year, he also played the main protagonist in the Italian drama film ‘Mamma ci penso io’ (Mom I Can Do It).
- In 1993, he appeared in a season five episode of the CBS sitcom ‘Murphy Brown’. He landed the role of Sawyer Matson in CBS’ family drama ‘The Road Home’, but that show ended after airing only six episodes. He portrayed Bowen in the pirate adventure film ‘Cutthroat Island’ (1995), Jimmy Reynolds in the crime-drama ‘The Sunchaser’ (1996), Eric in the segment ‘The Campfire’ of the anthology horror film ‘Campfire Tales’ (1997), Scotty O'Neal in the Julia Roberts-starrer ‘My Best Friend’s Wedding’ (1997), Richard in the 1998 film adaptation of Blake Nelson’s 1994 novel ‘Girl’, and Daryl Dawson in the critically acclaimed crime-drama ‘American History X’ (1998).
- In 2001, Masterson played the main love interest of Cindy Campbell (Anna Faris) in the spoof comedy ‘Scary Movie 2’. Two years later, he was cast as Edward Linton in the modern-day adaptation of ‘Wuthering Heights’. He worked with Shabana Azmi and Noah Segan in the 2005 independent film ‘Waterborne’. Masterson received the Best Actor Award at the Oxford International Film Festival for his role in the 2006 film ‘Intellectual Property’. In 2009, Masterson shared screen space with his brother Danny in the straight-to-video romantic comedy ‘Made for Each Other’. In 2019, he has been featured in two films, comedy-drama ‘I'd Like to Be Alone Now’ and the mystery thriller ‘Beneath the Leaves’.
- Masterson portrayed Francis in all seven seasons of Fox’s sitcom ‘Malcolm in the Middle’ (2000-06). The oldest child of the family, Francis is studying at a military school in Alabama in the pilot. As the series progresses, he leaves the school, goes to Alaska, marries an Inuit girl, and works at a logging company before relocating to the Western United States. By the end of the series, he has found himself a desk job. Masterson was part of the main cast until season five and then designated to a recurring role.
- He has also appeared in two episodes of Fox’s period sitcom ‘That 70’s Show’ and served as a voice-over artist on five episodes of Nickelodeon’s animated series ‘The Wild Thornberrys’. In the 2010s, he decided to become a full-time DJ.
- Born on January 22, 1980, in Long Island, New York, Masterson is one of the two sons of Carol Masterson, a manager, and Peter Masterson, an insurance agent. He has an older brother, actor Danny Masterson, as well as one maternal younger half-brother, Jordan, one maternal younger half-sister, Alanna, and one paternal half-brother, Will. His parents divorced sometime in the early 1980s. As with most of his family, Masterson is a member of the Church of Scientology.
- Masterson was in a long-term relationship with actress Laura Prepon, who appeared alongside Masterson’s brother Danny in ‘That 70’s Show’. They began dating sometime in 1999 and parted ways in 2007. He then had a relationship with actress and model Arielle Vandenberg from 2008 to 2009. There were also rumours romantically linking him to actress Rachael Leigh Cook.
- Masterson began dating actress Yolanda Pecoraro in 2015. In June 2018, they became engaged. Pecoraro is also a Scientologist and has previously dated the poster boy of the religion, Tom Cruise.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed