Chad Stahelski Biography
Chad Stahelski is a notable American stuntman and movie director. He is best known for directing the 2014 movie ‘John Wick’ alongside David Leitch and later solo directing its two sequels. As a stunt coordinator, he has contributed to a number of films. Coming from a kick-boxing background, he kicked off his career as a stunt artist at the age of 24. Prior to that, Stahelski served as an instructor for California’s Inosanto Martial Arts Academy. After doing several roles in small martial art films like ‘Mission of Justice’ and ‘Bloodsport III,’ he made his debut performance as a stunt double in the 1994 movie ‘The Crow,’ doubling late Brandon Lee who had died during the filming of the movie. After Lee's lethal accident, Stahelski was chosen as his stunt double as he knew the actor and his actions, and even resembled him more than any other stunt double. Since then, he has contributed to a number of both small and big budgeted projects.
- Chad Stahelski initially had a number of appearances in low budgeted martial art films, including the 1992 movie ‘Mission of Justice.’ A year later, he began working as a stunt double for his friend and actor Brandon Lee, who accidently died while shooting on the set of ‘The Crow’. The movie was released in 1994 and became a sleeper hit, grossing over $50 million nationally.
- During 1996 and 1997, Stahelski appeared as a fighter in ‘Fight Zone’ and ‘Bloodsport III’. Then in 1999, he worked as a stunt double in ‘The Matrix,’ and later in its sequels ‘The Matrix Reloaded’ and ‘The Matrix Revolutions’, both of which released in 2003.
- In 2014, Stahelski served as the co-director of the action thriller ‘John Wick.’ Starring Michael Nyqvist and Keanu Reeves, the story focuses on the protagonist searching for the men who stole his car and murdered his pet puppy. The movie met with positive reviews and grossed $88 million worldwide. It spawned two sequels, ‘John Wick: Chapter 2’ and ‘John Wick: Chapter 3 – Parabellum’. Released in 2017 and 2019, respectively, these sequels were solely directed by Stahelski.
- In November 2017, Stahelski joined the team of the ‘Highlander’ franchise. In December that year, it was announced that he would be directing a screen adaption of the book ‘Kill or Be Killed’. Apart from these, he would be serving as the director of a film adaptation of the famous ‘Sandman Slim’ novels.
- Chad Stahelski was born on September 20, 1968, in USA. Details about his family are not available. Stahelski is quite a private person and likes to keep his personal life low key. He has not shared anything regarding his love life with the media.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed