Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Gerry Lester Bubba Watson Jr., Gerry Lester Watson Jr.
Born in: Bagdad, Florida
Famous as: Professional Golfer
Spouse/Ex-: Angie Watson (m. 2004)
father: Gerry Watson
mother: Molly Marie Watson
siblings: Melinda Watson Conner
children: Caleb Watson
U.S. State: Florida
education: Faulkner State Community College, Milton High School, University of Georgia
Garry Lester Watson Jr., also referred to as Bubba Watson, is an American professional golfer. Counted among the longest drivers in the world of professional golf, he has earned multiple major titles on the Professional Golf Association (PGA) tour, including a Masters title. As a promising young golfer at both high school and the Faulkner State Community College, it was for his role in University of Georgia’s Bulldogs athletics team that Watson first came into prominence. He was instrumental in guiding the university to the Southeastern Conference title. Turning professional at the age of 23 in 2001, Watson had a decent start to his career on the national tour, where he drew eyes for his ability to drive the ball across lengthy distances. After a series of near misses, and lost opportunities, Watson finally emerged triumphant at the Travelers Championship in Connecticut in 2010. In 2011, he would go on to pip Phil McKelson by one stroke to win the Farmers’ Insurance Open. His crowning career achievement took place in 2012 when Watson won the Augusta Masters title. In 2015, he reached another high by registering his highest ever PGA ranking slotting in second. He continues to play professionally and has recorded three title wins in 2018.
- Bubba Watson was born on November 5, 1978 in Bagdad, Florida to Gerry Sr. and Molly Marie Watson. He developed an early interested in golf and soon became passionate about it. His father would encourage him, and Watson spent his childhood practicing his favorite sport every day.He studied at the Milton High School, where he was part of the school’s golf team. He also studied at the Faulkner State Community College and played golf for them and was a member of junior college All-American.Later on he transferred to the University of Georgia, who were the defending NCAA champions. He played for the University team and helped them win the Southeastern Conference title in 2000.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- In 2001, Bubba Watson decided to turn professional and became a part of the Nationwide Tour. He continued to play with them until 2005. He ranked at 21 in Nationwide Tour’s money list, which made him qualify for the PGA Tour in 2006.He entered as a rookie for the PGA tour in 2006 and earn over $1 million. His driving distance grew progressively longer, and he clocked his longest drive professionally (442 yards) at the WGC: Bridgestone Invitational.In 2007, he was seen at the U. S. Open, where he made it to the finals. At the finals in Oakmont Country Club, he started in a leading position but dropped in the later rounds. He was billed at the fifth spot.His major breakthrough took place in 2010. He won his first PGA tour at Connecticut in June 2010 and dedicated this victory to his father.In the PGA Championship at Whistling Straits in 2010, he came second after Martin Kaymer. Despite playing well, a penalty threw him back in the scorecard.He also started his own clothing line ‘Bubba Golf’ in 2010. With his cheeky wit and affable personality, he became one of the guests invited on the Ellen DeGeneres Show in the same year.His luck worked in his favor in 2011. He won his second PGA Championship at the Farmers Insurance Open, after defeating Phil Mickelson by a stroke. Subsequently, he won the Zurich Classic of New Orleans; his third PGA title win.Continue Reading BelowIn 2012, he won his first major championship at the Masters. With four consecutive birdies and an impressive record at the sudden death playoff, he won the championship. After this, he was ranked world number 4.His performance after winning the Masters faltered. He didn’t make it to the Memorial Tournament as well as the U. S. Open. He finished second at the Travelers Championship and didn’t advance after the third round in the Open Championship.In 2013, he was seen in the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship, WGC-Cadillac Championship, and the Hyundai Tournament of Champions. He performed satisfactorily, but never made it to the top.His performance at the Arnold Palmer Invitational, the Masters, U. S. Open, the Players Championship, and the Travelers Championship were disappointing.In 2014, his luck changed at the Waste Management Phoenix Open where he finished as the runner-up. He soon won his fifth title at Northern Trust Open and increased his world ranking to #14.His victory at the Northern Trust Open increased his confidence and he played strongly at the WGC-Accenture Match Play Championship and stood second at the WGC-Cadillac Championship. His ranking increased from 14 to 12.He won his second Masters title in 2014 after defeating Jordan Spieth and Jonas Blixt. His world ranking increased to 4, and he became the 17th player to have won the Masters title twice.Continue Reading BelowIn 2015, he won the Travelers Championship as well as the Hero World Challenge. His ranking increased to #3.In 2016, he won the Northern Trust Open at Riveria after defeating Adam Scott and Jason Kokrak. In the follower year, he missed the cut at 3 of 4 majors and didn’t win any title.In 2018, he appeared at the QBE shootout with an impressive start. He won his first title of the year at the Genesis Open in February. He later won the WGC-Dell Match Play Event and the Travelers Championship.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- Bubba Watson first won the Masters Tournament in 2012. The tournament is among the four major championships in Golf. He remained the first left-hander to win the tournament. He would go on to win the title for the second time in 2014.He was also honored with the Best Male Golfer ESPY Award twice, in 2012 and 2014.Personal Life & Legacy
- He met his future wife, Angela Watson, at Georgia, when both were touring. She played in the women’s basketball team. The duo married in September 2004. They decided to adopt a child after it came to light that Angela couldn’t conceive naturally. They adopted Caleb in March 2012.Watson is well known for his humanitarian side and is often seen at various charity events. In 2011, he took part in the Long Drive Contest for Charity along with Dustin Johnson and Robert Garrigus. He would stand second with a drive of 370 yards.He moved to Pensacola in 2015 and immediately became a tangible part of the community. He opened an ice-cream store, purchase a car dealership, and became one of the owners of the local Baseball team. He also is a regular donor to Studer Family Children’s Hospital.He recently announced that owing to the deep ties he shares with the community, he would like to run for the Mayor of Pensacola in the future.Trivia
- His nickname ‘Bubba’ was chosen by father who named him after the American football player Bubba Smith.He is a member of the boy band ‘Golf Boys’ along with Ben Crane, Hunter Mahan, and Rickie Fowler. The regularly upload their singles on YouTube and donate money received to charity.
How To CiteArticle Title- Bubba Watson BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/bubba-watson-14262.phpLast Updated- October 23, 2018
People Also Viewed