Brian L. Roberts Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Born Country: United States
Born in: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Famous as: CEO of Comcast
Spouse/Ex-: Aileen Roberts
father: Ralph J. Roberts
mother: Suzanne Roberts
children: Amanda, Sarah Roberts, Tucker Roberts Sarah
U.S. State: Pennsylvania
education: Germantown Academy, Wharton School of the University of Pennsylvania
Brian L. Roberts is an American entrepreneur currently serving as the chief executive officer (CEO) and chairman of the telecommunication company Comcast. Founded by his father, late Ralph J. Roberts, the company grew into a global Fortune 50 company under his leadership. Born to a Jewish family in Philadelphia, Roberts attended Germantown Academy. After earning a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Pennsylvania in 1981, he decided to follow in his father’s footsteps and immediately began working at Comcast. Besides being a successful businessman and one of the world’s most popular CEOs of all-time, Roberts is also an All-American squash player. He has participated six times in the Maccabiah Games in Israel and has earned both silver and gold medals. A recipient of the Simon Wiesenthal Center’s 2004 Humanitarian Award, he is also involved in politics. He and his wife live in Philadelphia; they have three children.
- Following his graduation in 1981, Brian L. Roberts joined the Comcast Corporation. In 1990, he was named president of the company. At the time, it registered $657 million in annual revenue. Today, with about $110 billion in annual revenue, Comcast has emerged as a global Fortune 50 company with three primary business sections, Comcast Cable, Sky, and NBCUniversal.
- From 1995 to 1996, Roberts served as the chairman of the prestigious National Cable & Telecommunications Association (NCTA). Currently, he serves as the Chairman of the Board of Directors of NCTA. In addition, he serves on the Advisory Board of Tsinghua University School of Economics and Management. He is also a Director Emeritus of CableLabs.
- Roberts has earned several business and industry honors. He was named one of the “World’s Best CEOs” by Barron and the “Businessperson of the Year” by ‘Fortune’ magazine. Also, the ‘Institutional Investor’ magazine has named him one of America’s top CEOs more than ten times. He was once honored with the Legend and Leadership Award by the Chief Executive Leadership Institute of Yale School of Management.
- In 2005, Brian L. Roberts competed with the US Squash team in the Maccabiah Games in Israel and earned a gold medal. He has also won four silver medals in the competition in the years 1981, 1985, 1997, and 2009. In October 2012, he was named a 'Legend of the Maccabiah’ by Maccabi USA.
- In 2000, Brian L. Roberts became a founding co-chair of the nonpartisan host committee Philadelphia 2000 which participated in that year’s Republican National Convention.
- In December 2009, Roberts endorsed the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act. He has been a constant supporter of the Democratic Party and favored Hillary Clinton in the United States presidential election of 2016.
- Brian L. Roberts was born on June 28, 1959, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, USA, to former actress and playwright, Suzanne, and Ralph J. Roberts, the founder of Comcast Corporation. He has a brother named Douglas. He studied at the Germantown Academy and later graduated from University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School in 1981.
- Brian L. Roberts is married to Aileen Kennedy Roberts. They have three children, Sarah, Amanda, and Tucker. His son, Tucker, was elected president of Overwatch League’s Philadelphia Fusion in 2018.
- Roberts is known for his philanthropic endeavors. In 2004, the Simon Wiesenthal Center honored him with their Humanitarian Award. His foundation, The Aileen K. and Brian L. Roberts Foundation, was a major contributor to the restoration of the Eastern State Penitentiary’s Alfred W. Fleisher Memorial Synagogue. He was awarded the 2011 Ambassador for Humanity Award by the USC Shoah Foundation Institute.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed