Benjamin Kapelushnik Biography
Benjamin Kapelushnik is an American entrepreneur and social media influencer popularly known as Benjamin Kicks (or Benjamin Kickz). He has built and expanded his business of reselling sneakers through social media and his own website. Many of his customers are celebrities from the music industry. Having grown up in Florida, Benjamin first became interested in sneakers after his mother purchased him a pair of Nike’s sneakers in middle school, which earned him much praise at school. He subsequently started reading about sneakers on various magazines and invested the money he received at his bar mitzvah in buying more sneakers. He also began examining the resale market and attending sneaker conventions. Benjamin was barely a teenager when he set up his business. He was later introduced to DJ Khaled who helped him acquire other celebrity clients. In time, he came to be known as the Sneaker Don, a phrase that he has also used to name his website. Benjamin and his business have been the subjects of numerous articles in publications like ‘Complex,’ ‘NY Mag,’ and ‘Forbes.’ Of all his social media pages, he is the most active on Instagram, on which he has several thousands of followers.
- Benjamin Kapelushnik was a middle school student when his mother got him a pair of Nike’s sneakers. At that time, sneakers had once more become a quintessential part of contemporary fashion and culture. His new sneakers helped him draw attention at school and it did not take him long after that to develop an active interest in sneakers. He started reading magazine articles on the subject and spent his bar mitzvah money to buy several more pairs. Furthermore, he educated himself on the resale market and began attending sneaker conventions. In the eighth grade, he purchased a pair of LeBron X MVPs. The shoes were made available at only ten stores but Benjamin managed to find a pair for $400. Later that day, he sold them off for $4,000. This did not surprise the people in his family who had known about his business acumen for a while.
- With the profit he made from selling the MVPs, he switched his focus to bulk orders. One of the largest orders he placed in the early days of his career was for 85 pairs of the Air Jordan 1 Retro High OG “Powder Blue”. He was successful in purchasing them before they even hit the market. In the ensuing months, he gradually rose through the hierarchy of insider sneaker sources with determination and purpose. As a high school student, he went to parties and tried to meet new people who would help him expand his business. Benjamin buys his goods from people who are essentially resellers as they themselves do not possess a customer base to sell their respective products to. He purchases sneakers in bulk from these resellers and goes on to “scatter them around”.
- In late 2014, Benjamin was introduced to DJ Khaled by a mutual friend. The music producer purchased from him three sets of the Air Jordan Ultimate Gift of Flight pack, six pairs of shoes in total. It did not take them long to forge a friendship. Benjamin would often spend the night at Khaled’s house and make appearances on his Snapchat posts.
- In 2015, Benjamin set up his website sneakerdon.com. In December that year, while he was at Khaled’s house, the latter asked him how his business was faring. Benjamin answered that it was “boomin!” This is how the famous catchphrase came to be. In the ensuing years, several public figures, including Benjamin himself, Khaled, Pittsburgh Steelers’ wide receiver Antonio Brown, and even Hillary Clinton would use the phrase, indicating how widespread it had become.
- Khaled played an instrumental role in the growth of Benjamin’s business as he introduced him to several other celebrities from the music, entertainment, and sports industry. He is also Benjamin’s business partner. In July 2016, it was reported that Benjamin was about to sign a deal for a reality show. He also revealed his plans of opening retail stores someday.
- Benjamin Kapelushnik was born on October 14, 1999, in the United States of America. He grew up in Florida. Both his parents are Russian immigrants who have settled in USA. Kapelushnik is Jewish. His father is a real estate broker. He has a younger brother named Daniel.
- He attended Fort Lauderdale high school in Florida. In 2016, Benjamin and his family relocated to Los Angeles, California as he felt that were “more opportunities, more money involved out there”. He neither drinks nor does any drug.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed