Ashley Biden Biography
Sun Sign: Gemini
Born in: Wilmington, Delaware
Famous as: Joe Biden's Daughter
Height: 1.68 m
Spouse/Ex-: Howard Krein (m. 2012)
father: Joe Biden
mother: Jill Biden
siblings: Beau Biden, Hunter Biden, Naomi Biden
U.S. State: Delaware
education: School of Social Policy & Practice (2010), Tulane University (2000–2004)
Ashley Biden is an American entrepreneur and social worker. She is the daughter of the 47th Vice President of the United States of America, Joe Biden, and his second and current wife Jill Tracy Jacobs. She had two half-brothers from her father’s previous marriage to Neilia Hunter, who, along with their daughter Naomi, was killed in a vehicular accident in 1972. By the time Ashley was born, Biden had been a US Senator from Delaware for about eight years. Since she was a child, Ashley has harboured a deep passion for social work and the environment. She was not even ten years old when she approached her father with her extensive research on how to protect marine animals from human-introduced contaminations in their ecosystem. After obtaining a Master of Social Work degree in social policy and practice from the University of Pennsylvania, she began her career at the NHS Children’s Reach Clinic as a clinical support specialist before joining the West End Neighborhood House as an employment and education specialist. She has also worked at the DSCYF and the non-profit Delaware Center for Justice.
- Even when Ashley was a child, she was very passionate about social work and the environment. According to her, her altruistic tendencies were inspired by her father’s conversations with people on the campaign trail. She witnessed how her father treated everyone equally, no matter their circumstances, and this left an enduring impression on her. She came to know about the condition of the dolphins trapped in tuna nets and reached out to her father with extensive research on how to save marine animals from the contaminations that are introduced by humans in their ecosystem. This was before she even turned ten years old.
- This inspired her father to collaborate with then-Rep. Barbara Boxer on drafting the 1990 Dolphin Protection Consumer Information Act. Ashley was also actively involved during this process, campaigning for the act in Congress. After it was passed, Boxer praised her tenacity and resolve on the House floor.
- After graduating from high school, she enrolled at Tulane University to study cultural anthropology, receiving her degree in 2003. She subsequently earned a Master of Social Work degree in social policy and practice from the University of Pennsylvania.
- One of Ashley’s first jobs was as a clinical support specialist at the NHS Children’s Reach Clinic in Kensington, Philadelphia. She subsequently came back to Delaware and began working for the West End Neighborhood House as an employment and education specialist. Later, she was employed for five years at the Delaware Department of Services for Children, Youth, and their Families (DSCYF) as an education and employment liaison, significantly contributing to the development of programs for children in the juvenile justice, foster care, and mental health systems.
- In partnership with the online store Gilt, Ashley created her own clothing company, called Livelihood, in 2016.
- Her most recent job was at the non-profit Delaware Center for Justice, an initiative for children and adults affected by the criminal justice system, where she served as the executive director until March 29, 2019. Her departure from that job gave way to speculation that she was going to work with her father on his possible 2020 presidential bid. On April 25, 2019, Biden formally began his campaign for the 2020 Democratic presidential candidacy.
- Ashley was born on June 8, 1981, in Wilmington, Delaware, USA. Her father, former Vice-President of USA and one of the Democratic candidates for president in the 2020 election, Joseph Robinette Biden Jr., was previously married to Neilia Hunter from 1966 to 1972. They had three children together, Beau (1969-2015), Hunter (born 1970), and Naomi (1971-1972). On December 18, 1972, Neilia, Naomi, Beau, and Hunter were involved in a vehicular accident. While Beau and Hunter survived after a tractor-trailer slammed against their station wagon at an intersection, their mother and sister perished. Biden had been active in politics since 1969. He had served as a member of the New Castle County Council from 1970 to 1972 and had been elected to the US Senate a week prior to the accident. He initially wanted to resign, but was dissuaded from doing so by Senate Majority Leader Mike Mansfield. It was his two sons who convinced him to remarry. He became acquainted with Jill in 1975. On June 17, 1977, Biden and Jill exchanged wedding vows in a Catholic ceremony held at the Chapel at the United Nations in New York.
- In 1999, Ashley was apprehended by the police for possessing marijuana. However, the prosecutor refused to press the charges against her. About a decade later, a former acquaintance reached out to the ‘New York Post’ to sell a 43-minute hidden-camera video that allegedly shows Ashley taking cocaine. The Post did not purchase the video but they did run a story on it.
- Ashley lost her half-brother Beau to brain cancer on January 6, 2015. She is an aunt to his two children: Natalie and Hunter. She is also the aunt of Hunter’s three children: Finnegan, Maisy, and Naomi.
- On June 2, 2012, Ashley tied the knot with otolaryngologist and plastic surgeon Dr Howard Krein, who is presently affiliated with the Thomas Jefferson University Hospital in Philadelphia.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed