Andre Braugher Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Andre Keith Braugher
Born in: Chicago, Illinois
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Ami Brabson (m. 1991)
father: Floyd Braugher
mother: Sally Braugher
children: Isaiah Braugher, John Wesley Braugher, Michael Braugher
City: Chicago, Illinois
education: St. Ignatius College Prep, Stanford University, Juilliard’s School
Andre Braugher is an American actor best recognized for playing the role of Detective Frank Pembleton in the series ‘Homicide: Life on the Street ‘, of Captain Raymond Holt in the series ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ and of Owen Thoreau Jr. in the show ‘Men of a Certain Age’. He has also appeared in many other TV programs including 'Gideon's Crossing', 'Jackie Chan Adventures', 'Hack', 'Thief' and ‘Last Resort'. The actor has also done several TV movies till date, such as 'Murder in Mississippi', 'The Court-Martial of Jackie Robinson', 'The Tuskegee Airmen', 'Love Songs', 'Soldier's Girl' and '10,000 Black Men Named George', to name a few. As a film actor, he has appeared in supporting roles in various movies like ‘Primal Fear’, ‘Glory’, ‘Frequency’, ‘City of Angels’, ‘The Mist’, ‘Poseidon’ and ‘Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer’. Talking about Braugher’s awards and honors, he has received ‘NAACP Image Award’ for Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series for his role in ‘Homicide: Life on the Street.’ The same performance also fetched him the ‘Satellite Award’ under the category Best Actor – Television Series Drama and the Primetime Emmy Award under the category ‘Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series’. Besides these, the American star won a Primetime Emmy Award as well as an NAACP Image Award for ‘Thief.’ His performance in ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ fetched him two Critics' Choice Television Awards and a Satellite Award.
- Andre Braugher made his film debut in the year 1989 with the flick ‘Glory’. After this, he did the TV movie ‘Murder in Mississippi’. Then in 1993, he was cast as Detective Frank Pembleton in the series ‘Homicide: Life on the Street’, a role he played until 1998. During this time, the actor also appeared in the films ‘Primal Fear’, ‘Get on the Bus’ and ‘City of Angels’. Soon after this, he had role in the television movies ‘Passing Glory’ and ‘Love Songs’.
- During 2000 and 2001, Braugher did a handful of TV and big screen projects, such as ‘A Better Way to Die’, ‘Frequency’, ‘Gideon's Crossing’ and ‘Jackie Chan Adventures’. He was then cast as Marcellus Washington in the series ‘Hack’ in 2002. Two years later, the American actor got featured in the miniseries ‘Salem's Lot’ as well as in the program ‘The Jury’.
- From 2006 to 2008, Braugher had roles in the series ‘Thief’ and ‘The Andromeda Strain’ and in the films ’Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer’, ‘The Mist’ and ‘Passengers’. Soon after this, he appeared in the shows ‘House’ and ‘Men of a Certain Age’. In 2011, the actor was cast as Bayard Ellis in ‘Law & Order: Special Victims Unit’. The following year, he began playing Captain Marcus Chaplin on ‘Last Resort’. Then in 2013, Braugher joined the cast of the series ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ as Captain Ray Holt. A year later, he played Dean Fuller in the flick ‘The Gambler’.
- Andre Braugher was born on July 1, 1962 in Chicago, Illinois, USA to Floyd and Sally Braugher. He has three elder siblings. He studied at the St. Ignatius College Prep and later attended Stanford University. He then enrolled at the Juilliard School's Drama Division and graduated from there in 1988.
- Talking about the actor’s love life, he married actress Ami Brabson in 1991. The couple has three sons: Michael, Isaiah, and John.
|2006||Outstanding Lead Actor in a Miniseries or a Movie||Thief (2006)|
|1998||Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series||Homicide: Life on the Street (1993)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed