Ahmed Hirsi Biography
Nationality: American, Somalian
Also Known As: Ahmed Abdisalan Aden
Born Country: Somalia
Born in: Somalia
Famous as: Ilhan Omar's Husband
Spouse/Ex-: Ilhan Omar (m. 2018)
children: Isra Hirsi
Grouping of People: Black Men
Ahmed Hirsi is the senior policy aide of Alondra Cano, a 'Ninth Ward Minneapolis City Council' member. He is the husband of Ilhan Omar, a Somali–American ‘Democratic’ politician and the US representative for Minnesota’s 5th congressional district. They have three children. As per US marriage laws, Hirsi is Ilhan’s second husband, although they were married much before she married a British citizen. Hirsi and Ilhan had a traditional marriage and separation. They later got married according to US laws in 2018. Ilhan had always addressed Hirsi as her cultural husband and the father of her children while she was married to British citizen Ahmed Nur Said Elmi. Both Hirsi and Ilhan are Somalian immigrants who earned positions in US politics.
- Hirsi was born Ahmed Abdisalan Aden. He was just 12 when his native country, Somalia, was largely affected by the civil conflict after the end of the dictatorship. The onset of political disturbances triggered constant war among the tribes and resulted in large-scale immigration. Hence, Hirsi and his family had to leave the nation, and they decided flee to the US.
- Hirsi changed his name after receiving US citizenship.
- Hirsi currently works for Alondra Cano, a 'Ninth Ward Minneapolis City Council' member, as her senior policy aide. In 2018, an announcement stated that Alondra had suggested Hirsi’s name for the position of the new senior policy aide. He replaced Aisha Gomez, who had left to prepare for the state 'House District 62B' primary run.
- Hirsi has worked at 'St. Paul College' as a student-assistance staff, helping students in issues regarding financial aid and the registration process. Previously, he was a banker for 11 years at 'Wells Fargo.' In May 2016, Hirsi ventured into entrepreneurship and formed 'New American Financial Literacy,' an organization that aimed at providing vital and necessary tools to immigrants for their economic growth and sustainability. He now serves as the company’s executive director.
- Interestingly, Hirsi began his term in city politics when his wife began campaigning ahead of the general election. Alondra apparently endorsed Ilhan’s political campaigns for her congressional seat run, and Ilhan fully supported Alondra’s second term as a council member.
- Hirsi is married to Somali–American politician Ilhan Omar and has three children with her. The two first got engaged in 2002. Ilhan was just 19 then. They later applied for a marriage license, which was not finalized. Hirsi and Ilhan decided to marry according to their faith’s tradition, instead of having a legal marriage. Unfortunately, their relationship reached an impasse. They separated in 2008, after having two children. Like their marriage, their separation, too, was according to the rules of their faith and did not follow any legal process. Because of this reason, Hirsi is not legally considered to be Ilhan’s first husband.
- Ilhan then married British citizen Ahmed Nur Said Elmi, allegedly to help him earn a US citizenship. The marriage was criticized a lot, as it was suggested that Elmi and Ilhan were siblings and the sole motive of their marriage was speeding up Elmi’s citizenship procedure. Ilhan completely rejected the statement and regarded it as "absurd and offensive."
- Ilhan and Hirsi reconciled after she divorced Elmi in 2011. The divorce was according to their faith. The following year, Hirsi’s third child with Ilhan was born. He legally married Ilhan in 2018, after her divorce to Elmi got the legal stamp. Hirsi and his family now live in Minneapolis.
- Hirsi’s daughter, Isra Hirsi, is one of the three lead organizers of the ‘US Youth Climate Strike,’ (also known as 'Fridays for Future,' 'Youth for Climate,’ and ‘School Strike 4 Climate').
How To Cite
People Also Viewed