Adam Duritz Biography
Girlfriend: Emmy Rossum (Ex)
Sun Sign: Leo
Also Known As: Adam Fredric Duritz
Born Country: United States
Born in: Baltimore, Maryland, United States
Famous as: Singer
father: Gilbert Duritz
mother: Linda Dee
City: Baltimore, Maryland
U.S. State: Maryland
Notable Alumni: University Of California, Davis (UC Davis)
Founder/Co-Founder: E Pluribus Unum
education: University of California, Berkeley, University of California, Davis, Head-Royce School
Adam Duritz is an American musician, record producer, songwriter, and film producer. He is best recognized as a founding member and frontman of the popular rock band Counting Crows. Since its launch in 1991, the band has released four albums that have each earned a gold or platinum certification. The band has earned many awards and nominations as well, including an Academy Award nomination and two Grammy Award nominations. Duritz has also released his solo material and continues to collaborate with groups and artists like Nanci Griffith and The Wallflowers. Born in Baltimore, he grew up at various places, including Boston, El Paso and Berkeley. He studied at the renowned Taft School and later attended Head-Royce School in Oakland. He has been active in the entertainment industry since 1990. In addition to his musical pursuits, he has served as the executive producer for a few films like ‘The Locusts’ and ‘Freeloaders’. In the past, he has dated several well-known personalities, including Jennifer Aniston, Courteney Cox, Winona Ryder and Samantha Mathis.
- Adam Duritz was born on August 1, 1964, in Baltimore, Maryland, USA, to physicians Gilbert and Linda Duritz. He has a younger sister named Nicole.
- He first studied at Taft School and later earned a graduate degree from Head-Royce School in Oakland.
- Adam Duritz initially sang for a few local bands in San Francisco Bay Area, including the college rock band Sordid Humor.
- In 1990, he collaborated with vocalist cum guitarist David Bryson and formed a band called The Himalayans. Bryson sang and wrote many songs for the band, including "Round Here."
- Duritz and Bryson recorded a demo tape for a record label under the name Counting Crows. Their tape was selected and they eventually went on to release their debut album titled ‘August and Everything’ in 1993. The album featured "Round Here" along with the singles "Mr. Jones", "Rain King" and "A Murder of One."
- In 1996, Duritz’s band Counting Crows came up with their second album ‘Recovering the Satellites’. The album’s song "A Long December" went on to hit the #1 position in Canada.
- The artist served as the executive producer for the movie ‘The Locusts’ in 1997. Soon after, he and his band released their third album ‘This Desert Life’ featuring the songs "Hanginaround", "Colorblind" and "Mrs. Potter's Lullaby".
- In November 2003, the band released a “greatest hits” album called ‘Films About Ghosts’. Three years later, they came up with the live album ‘New Amsterdam: Live at Heineken Music Hall’.
- On March 25, 2008, the group released their fifth studio album called ‘Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings,’ featuring the tracks "1492", "Hanging Tree" and "Washington Square".
- In 2011, Duritz served as the executive producer of ‘Freeloaders’, a film about a girl and five guys living in a rock star's mansion. The friends find themselves helpless when the rock star chooses to sell the mansion.
- In October 2018, he co-founded a free music festival called Underwater Sunshine Music Festival in New York City.
- In June 2002, Adam Duritz and his band Counting Crows released the album ‘Hard Candy’ that went on earn a gold certification in Australia, New Zealand, UK and USA. The album featured the song "Big Yellow Taxi" whose standard version topped the American Top 40 and VH-1 charts. Also, a new version of the track "Holiday in Spain" topped the chart in Netherlands.
- Adam Duritz worked with The Wallflowers on the song "6th Avenue Heartache". He contributed to Ryan Adams’s album ‘Gold’ for the track "Butterfly in Reverse". Besides these, Duritz has collaborated with Peter Stuart on the albums ‘Daisy’ and ‘Propeller’ and with Nanci Griffith on the songs "Talk to Me While I'm Listening" and "Going Back to Georgia".
- He co-wrote the track "Accidentally in Love" which was featured on the soundtrack of the film ‘Shrek 2’. He also contributed the songs "You Don't See Me," "Spin Around," and "You're a Star" to the soundtrack of the movie ‘Josie and the Pussycats.’
- In 1995, Adam Duritz was in a relationship with popular actress Jennifer Aniston. He then went on to date Monica Potter, Courteney Cox, Winona Ryder and Samantha Mathis.
- In 2009, he was reported to be in a relationship with actress Emmy Rossum. The couple parted ways in September 2010.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed