- Business People(65)
- Film & Theater Personalities(387)
- Food Experts(4)
- Intellectuals & Academics(135)
- Inventors & Discoverers(5)
- Media Personalities(56)
Rumi, a 13th century Persian poet and Sufi mystic, has worldwide recognition. Read this biography to explore his life, childhood & timeline.
Also Listed In: Poets
Famous as: Great Poet
Nationality: Afghan, Iranian
Born on: 30 September 1207 AD 30th September Birthdays
Zodiac Sign: Libra Libra Men
Born in: Wakhsh (present-day Tajikistan)
Died on: 17 December 1273 AD
place of death: Konya (present-day Turkey)
father: Bahā ud-Dīn Walad
mother: Mu'mina Khātūn
Spouse: Gowhar Khatun
children: Sultan Walad, Ala-eddin Chalabi, Amir Alim Chalabi, Malakeh Khatun
Works & Achievements: "Diwan-e Shams-e Tabrizi" (collection of ghazals) and "Mathnawi" (compilation of six volumes of poetry) are the popular works of Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi.
Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi was a 13th century Persian poet, an Islamic dervish and a Sufi mystic. He is regarded as one of the greatest spiritual masters and poetical intellects. Born in 1207 AD, he belonged to a family of learned theologians. He made use of everyday life's circumstances to describe the spiritual world. Rumi's poems have acquired immense popularity, especially among the Persian speakers of Afghanistan, Iran and Tajikistan. Numerous poems written by the great poet have been translated to different languages.
- Diwan-e Shams-e Tabrizi: Diwan-e Shams-e Tabrizi (or Diwan-e-Kabir) is one of the masterpieces of Rumi. It is a collection of ghazals named in the honor of dervish Shamsuddin, who was Rumi’s great friend and inspiration. It also contains an assortment of poems arranged according to the rhyming scheme. Diwan-e-Kabir has been written in ‘Dari’ dialect. It is regarded as one of the greatest works of Persian literature.
- Mathnawi: Mathnawi is a compilation of six volumes of poetry, written in a didactic style. The poems are intended to inform, instruct as well as entertain the reader. It is believed that Rumi started the work of Mathnawi at the suggestion of his then companion, Husam al-Din Chalabin. Mathnawi attempts to explain the various facets of spiritual life.
Videos About Rumi
Books by Rumi