Todrick Hall is an up and coming American entertainer who came to fame after making it to the semi-finals of the ninth season of the talent show, American Idol, in 2010. In a short span of time he has made his mark as an actor, songwriter, singer, choreographer, designer, playwright and director. A man of all seasons, he has a trademark mix of R&B and Hip Hop style in his music that became most popular on You Tube and Broadway. Todrick started as an entertainer by learning ballet but soon realised his potential as a songwriter and singer. He has three studio albums and an EP to his credit, besides numerous singles that identify with today’s youth and street life. He also has a self-titled compilation album which is about his life and rise to fame in a world that is full of malice. Starting life in a middle class family, today he has gained a celebrity status and has appeared as a judge on shows like ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’. He has also appeared on various talk shows where he has been open about being gay. As recognition of his work, he was nominated as Elvis Duran’s Artist of the month and awarded the Shorty Industry Award for ‘Best Use of Video’. He has toured USA, Canada, Europe and Australia to identify with his fans that are growing by the day.
- Todrick Hall was born on 04 April 1985 in Arlington, Texas, USA, in a middle class family. He was brought up with his brother by his mother and stepfather.He started learning ballet at the age of nine and got an early exposure to show business when he featured in the musical ‘The Colour of Purple’ along with R&B singer and actress, Fantasia. He also had a role in Disney’s ‘Beauty and the Beast’ and the musical stage show ‘Radio City Christmas Spectacular’ when he was young.He enjoyed singing and started composing his own songs when he was in high school. As he grew up, he became active on YouTube and posted his first video ‘It’s Hard to Say Goodbye’ in 2008. The video was an instant success and soon grew to over two million subscribers.Hall auditioned for the ninth season of American Idol in August 2009. He sang a self composed song that got him the approval of all four judges to participate in the Hollywood week of the programme. He worked his way up to the semi-finals and was finally eliminated in the top 16 round.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
- The exposure in American Idol was an ideal launch pad for Todrick to make inroads into the world of professional music. He realised the potential of YouTube and fully exploited the platform to reach out to his growing population of fans. His music videos comprise of several of his own original songs and collaborations with other contemporary artists.In 2011, he released a video titled ‘I Wanna Be on Glee’, which had fans guessing that he was interested in participating in the American comedy – drama television series with the same name. However, much to the disappointment of his fans, he did not appear on the show.The Christmas season of 2013 coincided with the release of his Christmas album titled ‘Dear Santa’ which had his original numbers ‘So Cold’ and ‘SplitsOnXmasTrees’ with covers of other popular Christmas carols sung by various artists.During this period he also performed on Broadway and starred in the pop music safety video for Virgin America and his own MTV documentary series called ‘Todrick’ that debuted in 2015.For the next two years he worked on his web series on YouTube and released his second studio album titled ‘Pop Star High’. As his music gained popularity, he was nominated as Elvis Duran’s Artist of the month in October 2015 and featured on NBC’s ‘Music Today’ show hosted by Kathie Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb. His single ‘Wind It Up’ was broadcast live on the show.Hall soon gained celebrity status and appeared as a judge on the show, ‘RuPaul’s Drag Race’ in 2016-17. He also frequently appears on Logo TV’s game show ‘Gay for Play Game Show Starring RuPaul’.Half way down 2016, he released his third album ‘Straight Outta Oz’, which was a visual concept album on his own life and rise to fame. The video was posted on YouTube followed by his ‘Straight Outta Oz’ tour in the United States and Canada to promote the album.Continue Reading BelowIn between his tour he was cast in the Broadway musical ‘Kinky Boots’, where he starred as a drag queen cabaret performer. He also acted in the movie ‘Lake on Fire’. His acting debut received positive reviews, while he went on to complete his ‘Straight Outta Oz’ tour in Europe and Australia.He is active on social media and has a large fan following who call themselves ‘Toddierz’. He also earned the nickname Toddy Rockstar and The Quing in show business circles. He has more than one million subscribers on his You Tube channel and over 160 million views.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- He has released three studio albums titled ‘Somebody’s Christmas’ (2010), ‘Pop Star High’ (2014) and ‘Straight Outta Oz’ (2016). He also has one compilation album titled ‘MTV’s Todrick: The Music, Vol 1’ which was released in 2015.Todrick has released a number of singles and also has an EP titled ‘Dear Santa’ to his credit.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Awards & Achievements
- Todrick Hall achieved celebrity status from being a nobody in show business all on his own steam. To recognise his achievement he was nominated as Elvis Duran’s Artist of the month in October 2015.He was also awarded the Nickelodeon Kids Choice Award in 2014 and the Shorty Industry Award for Best Use of Video in 2015.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Personal Life & Legacy
- He began dating Jesse Pattison in April 2016 and even adopted a puppy together, which they publicised on social media. However, they broke up the relationship the following year and went their separate ways.Continue Reading BelowAs per reports in social media he is openly gay.Trivia
- Todrick Hall has a baritenor voice and performs in a mix of rap, R&B, pop, hip hop and neo-soul. Many of his lyrics are about social malaise such as drugs and gun running.He has posted many musical tributes on YouTube to artists like Lady Gaga, Rihanna and Taylor Swift who influenced his work.Hall has directed and produced most of his videos himself. They comprise of elaborate costumes and extensive choreography that normally go with big labels.He has been named by the Forbes magazine as one of the top ‘Under 30’ performers for the Hollywood category in 2014.Todrick’s professional appearances are managed by the firm Scooter Braun Projects.Net Worth
- With an estimated net worth of over three million dollars, Hall is one of America’s rising stars with the potential to make it even bigger than he is today.
How To CiteArticle Title- Todrick Hall BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/todrick-hall-33256.phpLast Updated- July 13, 2017
People Also Viewed