Sun Sign: Pisces
Also Known As: Hanan Tobias Simpson Menzies
Born in: London
Famous as: Actor
father: Peter Menzies
mother: Gillian née Simpson
education: Frensham Heights School, Stratford-upon-Avon College, Royal Academy of Dramatic Art
Tobias Menzies is an English actor who has appeared in numerous films, television shows, and theatrical plays. He is also known for his work in the radio industry as a narrator and a voice artist. On television, he has appeared in shows like ‘Game of Thrones’ portraying the character of ‘Edmure Tully’ of ‘House Tully’. He featured in the popular historical drama series ‘Rome’ as ‘Marcus Junius Brutus’. The son of a radio producer, he was exposed to the world of entertainment from a young age. He decided early on to pursue a career in acting and studied the subject at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art. After appearing in minor television and film roles, he went on to play important roles in shows and movies like ‘Casualty’, ‘Eternal Law’, ‘Simon Schama's Shakespeare’, ‘The Duel,’ and ‘The Night Manager’. One of Menzies’ career highlights has been his portrayal of ‘Frank Randall’ or ‘Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall’ in the drama series ‘Outlander’.
- Tobias Menzies was born as Hanan Tobias Simpson Menzies on March 7, 1974, in London. His mother, Gillian Simpson, was a teacher and his father, Peter Menzies, worked at BBC as a radio producer. Menzies grew up with his brother Luke, who is currently working as a solicitor.He used to accompany his mother to plays and developed a love for acting. Menzies attended the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art where he studied acting and graduated in 1998 with a bachelor’s degree.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Television Career
- Tobias Menzies made his acting debut on television in the late 1990s. He appeared in the medical drama series ‘Casualty’ as ‘Frank Gallagher’ between 1998 and 2000. Later, he made several special appearances on shows like ‘Longitude’, ‘Midsomer Murders’, ‘The Escapist’, and ‘Ultimate Force’.In 2005, Menzies was cast by the makers of the historical drama television series ‘Rome’ to play the role of ‘Marcus Junius Brutus’. He was part of the show for 17 episodes between 2005 and 2007.In the ensuing years, Menzies appeared on shows like ‘Bonekickers’, ‘Pulling’, ‘Kingdom’, and ‘Spooks’. He played the role of ‘Raymond’ in the show ‘The Deep’ in 2010. In the same year, he also featured in ‘Any Human Heart’ as ‘Ian Fleming’.Menzies played a variety of small roles in long-running television shows. He made special appearances in shows like ‘Getting On’, ‘Black Mirror’, ‘Doctor Who’, ‘Silent Witness’, and ‘Puppy Love’.In the fantasy drama television show ‘Game of Thrones’, he appeared as ‘Edmure Tully’. His character in the show is the third child of Lord Hoster Tully and the heir of the House Tully. Menzies displayed an honest yet inefficient ‘Edmure Tully’ who tries his best to save his people from the war and its disastrous aftermath, but fails largely.He appeared in two miniseries, ‘The Honourable Woman’ and ‘The Night Manager’ in the mid-2010s. He also featured in TV shows like ‘Silent Witness’, ‘Catastrophe’, and ‘The Terror' during this period.He appeared in the show ‘Outlander’ as ‘Frank Randall/Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall’. He was part of the series between 2014 and 2018, appearing in a total of 24 episodes as one of the lead characters.Theater & Film Career
- Tobias Menzies appeared alongside his future ‘Game of Thrones’ co-star Aidan Gillen in the film ‘The Low Down’. Later, he appeared in a few small roles in films like ‘Piccadilly Jim’, ‘Finding Neverland’, and ‘Pierrepoint’.He portrayed the character of ‘Villiers’, the young secretary of Madam M at the MI6 Headquarters, in the British spy thriller film ‘Casino Royale’ in 2006. In the ensuing years, he appeared in a few more films, ‘The Duel’, ‘Forget Me Not’, and ‘Underworld: Blood Wars’, but mostly in small roles.On stage, Menzies has delivered some memorable performances. He appeared in plays like ‘The Way of the World’, ‘The History Boys’, ‘Hamlet’, and ‘The Cherry Orchard’. He was nominated at the Ian Charleson Awards for his powerful performance in Anton Chekov’s play ‘Three Sisters’.Major Works
- Between 2005 and 2007, Tobias Menzies appeared in the TV show ‘Rome,’ which was broadcast on HBO/BBC Two. The show featured Kevin McKidd, Ray Stevenson, Polly Walker, James Purefoy, and Lindsay Duncan among the lead actors.For his performance of ‘Frank Randall/Jonathan "Black Jack" Randall’ in the drama series ‘Outlander’, Menzies was nominated at the Golden Globe Awards in 2016. He was also nominated at the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films, USA, for the Best Actor on Television.Family & Personal Life
- Tobias Menzies is a lifelong fan of lawn tennis and wanted to become a tennis player when he was young. He is also a big fan of Arsenal FC.He is an extremely private individual and has not shared any detail about his personal relationships with the media.
How To CiteArticle Title- Tobias Menzies BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/tobias-menzies-44655.phpLast Updated- May 09, 2019
People Also Viewed