Tiffany Haddish Biography
Sun Sign: Sagittarius
Also Known As: Tiffany Sarac Haddish
Born in: South Los Angeles, California
Famous as: Actress, Comedian
Spouse/Ex-: William Stewart (twice - divorced 2011 - 2013)
father: Tsihaye Reda Haddish
U.S. State: California
Tiffany Haddish is an American comedian, actress, and author. She is known for her roles in TV series such as ‘If Loving You is Wrong’ and comedy films like ‘Girls Trip’. Haddish was born in Los Angeles, California. A product of a broken family, she had a very difficult childhood. She sought solace in comedy and used to participate in drama competitions to distract herself from the emotional pain she was facing. With time, she realized that she wanted to pursue a career in the show business. However, before enjoying success as a performer, she did various odd jobs including a stint as a customer service executive for Alaska Airlines. She made her film debut with a minor role in the film ‘The Urban Demographic’. She also played guest roles in many TV shows, such as ‘That’s so Raven’ and ‘My Name is Earl,’ before getting her first big break with an important role in the soap opera ‘If Loving You is Wrong’, which revolved around five married couples living on the same street. Naturally gifted at acting, she was able to establish herself as a well-known TV actress within a few years.
- Tiffany Haddish was born on 3rd December 1979 in Los Angeles, California. Her father was Tsihaye Reda Haddish, a refugee from Eritrea, a small country in Africa. Her mother, Leola, was an African-American lady who owned a small business.
- Her father left the family when Tiffany was only three, after which her mother remarried. Through her mother’s second marriage, Tiffany has four half-siblings.
- When she was nine years of age, her mother had a bad car accident as a result of her stepfather’s alleged tampering with the brakes. The injuries from the accident triggered her mother’s schizophrenia.
- Owing to their mother’s mental health issues, Tiffany and her siblings were placed in foster care for some time. They were eventually taken in by their grandmother.
- She attended George Ellery Hale Middle School in Woodland Hills before graduating from El Camino Real High School. It was during her school years that she developed an interest in acting and took part in drama competitions.
- Her early life was fraught with troubles. In addition to the family problems she already faced, she was assaulted sexually by a police cadet when she was 17.
- As a young girl, she did various odd jobs such as providing customer support for Alaska Airlines while trying to find her footing as a comedian. She later stated that during her days as a struggling comedian, she had to live in her car.
- Tiffany Haddish first gained attention with the comedy competition ‘Bill Bellamy’s Who’s Got Jokes?’ She made her film debut in the 2005 film ‘The Urban Demographic’. In the 2000s, she also had guest roles in many TV shows, such as ‘Pimp My Ride’, ‘That’s so Raven’, ‘My Name Is Earl’, ‘The Underground’ and ‘Secret Girlfriend’.
- In the ensuing years, she appeared in small roles in movies, such as ‘Meet the Spartans’ (2008), ‘Janky Promoters’ (2009), ‘Driving by Braille’ (2011) and ‘Christmas Wedding’ (2013).
- From 2013 to 2014, she had a recurring role in the reality show parody ‘Real Husbands of Hollywood’. From 2014 to 2015, she had a recurring role in the soap opera ‘If Loving You is Wrong’.
- In 2014, she had a voice role in the animated series ‘TripTank’. Her next project was the sitcom ‘The Carmichael Show’, where she had a main role during 2015–17. The series was met with positive reviews and was nominated for several awards.
- In the 2010s, she appeared in films, such as ‘Patterns of Attraction’ (2014), ‘School Dance’ (2014), ‘All Between Us’ (2015), ‘Keanu’ (2016) and ‘Mad Families’ (2017).
- Her most successful work till date is undoubtedly her role in the 2017 comedy film ‘Girls Trip’. Directed by Malcolm D. Lee, the film was a huge success commercially and critically. Her role won her several awards, such the MTV Movie Award for Best Comedic Performance and the New York Film Critics Circle Award for Best Supporting Actress.
- In 2017, she hosted an episode of the famous variety show ‘Saturday Night Live’, which won her the Primetime Emmy Award for best Guest Actress in a Comedy Show.
- In 2018, she began appearing in the comedy series ‘The Last O.G.’, which follows the life of a recently released convict who returns to Brooklyn to see that his neighborhood has changed and that his ex-girlfriend is raising their children with another man.
- She played a supporting role in the sports comedy film ‘Uncle Drew’ in 2018. Directed by Charles Stone III, the film did well commercially and the reviews were mostly average. She appeared in three other comedy films, ‘The Oath’, ‘Night School’, and ‘Nobody’s Fool’ the same year.
- One of Tiffany Haddish’s important works on the big screen is her main role in the film ‘Keanu’. Directed by Peter Atencio, the film also starred other actors such as Jordan Peele, Keegan-Michael Key, Jason Mitchell and Will Forte. The film was an average success commercially and was met with positive reviews.
- Her role in the comedy film ‘Girls Trip’ was a significant one. The film was directed by Malcolm D. Lee and starred actors, such as Regina Hall, Larenz Tate and Mike Colter besides Haddish. Made on a budget of $20 million, the film did well commercially, earning over $140 million. Critical reception was very positive as well. Haddish won several awards and nominations for her performance.
- Tiffany Haddish married and divorced the same man, William Stewart, twice. It was Stewart who had helped her re-establish contact with her once-estranged father.
- She often volunteers at the Laugh Factory Comedy Camp. She is also involved with charities that help the homeless.
|2018||Outstanding Guest Actress in a Comedy Series||Saturday Night Live (1975)|
|2018||Best Comedic Performance||Girls Trip (2017)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed