Thomas Doherty Biography
Thomas Doherty is a Scottish actor who rose to popularity in the recent years for portraying Harry Hook in Disney's ‘Descendants 2’ and Sean in the British musical drama sitcom, ‘The Lodge’. Doherty began acting at the age of five and became part of the Lothian Youth Arts and Musicals Company and appeared in multiple plays, including Disney’s ‘Aladdin’. After graduating with a degree in music theatre from the MGA Academy, he signed with Olivia Bell Management in London. Initially, he supported himself by working as a waiter, while attending numerous auditions. In 2013, he made his screen debut with the television series ‘Dracula’. He subsequently appeared in multiple short films before landing the role of Harry Hook in ‘Descendants 2.’ In 2016, he was cast in ‘The Lodge’, a mystery and drama television show produced by Disney. Doherty is also set to appear in the upcoming dance romance ‘High Strung: Free Dance’.
- Thomas Doherty is a multi-talented personality; he is not only trained in acting and singing, but is also adept at various forms of dancing, including contemporary, hip-hop, jazz, and ballet. In 2013, Doherty made his screen debut in NBC and Sky Living’s ‘Dracula’. Credited simply as the Street Boy #2, he appeared in the episode ‘Servant to Two Masters’. Shortly after his debut, he worked in the short film ‘Bunch of Mad Stuff’.
- In the summer of 2015, he left the MGA Academy and found work as a waiter at the Tigerlily restaurant & Bar in Edinburgh. He attended auditions and collaborated with the Edinburgh Fringe on his holidays. His first project after graduation was the 2016 short ‘The First Time’. That year, he landed his breakthrough role when he was cast as Sean Matthews in Disney’s ‘The Lodge’. While Sean is Scottish like Doherty, the actor consciously toned down his accent to accommodate international viewers.
- Doherty later successfully auditioned for the TV movie ‘Descendants 2,’ which was released in 2017. He was cast as Harry Hook, the son of the infamous pirate Captain James Hook, the villain in ‘Peter Pan’. He is now set to reprise his role in ‘Descendants 3,’ which is slated for release in 2019. He is also starring in the upcoming Michael Damian’s directorial venture ‘High Strung: Free Dance’.
- Doherty was born on April 21, 1995, in Edinburgh, Scotland to parents who are both bankers. He has a brother named Niall, who plays soccer, and a sister named Rachel, who is a dancer. He developed acting aspirations quite early in his life. At the age of five, he started to appear in school productions. He also played football as a little boy. As part of the Lothian Youth Arts and Musicals Company, he appeared in various stage productions, including Disney’s ‘Aladdin.’
- He studied at the Royal High School in Edinburgh before enrolling at The MGA Academy of Performing Arts from where he graduated with a degree in music theatre in July 2015. He was immediately recruited by Olivia Bell Management in London.
- Currently, the young heartthrob is in a relationship with actress Dove Cameron.
- In August 2017, Doherty was listed among the 50 hottest boys in the world by Vogue magazine.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed