Recommended For You
Telma Hopkins is an American singer and actress who gained prominence as a member of ‘Tony Orlando and Dawn’, a 1970s pop music group. As an actress, she is known for her work in films such as 'Trancers' and 'The Love Guru'. She made her acting debut with a minor role in the miniseries 'Roots: The Next Generations'. It revolved around a fictionalized story of the family of American writer Alex Haley. She was next seen in the comedy series 'A New Kind of Family,' playing an important role. The show earned an Emmy nomination. She made her debut on the big screen with a role in the sci-fi film 'Trancers'. Other films she has appeared in include 'The Wood' and 'The Love Guru'. The former did well commercially while the latter flopped. Hopkins is also known for her work on the variety show 'Tony Orlando and Dawn'. Her most recent works include her role in the TV series 'Partners'. She also played a guest role in the TV series 'Two Broke Girls.'
- Telma Louise Hopkins was born on October 28th, 1948, in Louisville, Kentucky. Hopkins was raised by her grandmother. There is no information revealed to the public regarding her childhood and parents.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Singing Career
- Telma Hopkins initially began her career as a background singer. She became known for her work with famed singer Marvin Gaye, as well as with the quartet The Four Tops. She also worked as a backup vocalist for the popular singer Isaac Hayes.Later in 1971, she was recruited by Tony Orlando to form a new music group. The band 'Tony Orlando and Dawn' released several hit singles in the 1970s, some of them being 'Candida', 'Knock Three Times', and 'Summer Sand'. The band enjoyed considerable success before announcing their retirement in 1977. The group also created and appeared in a self-titled variety show.Recommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Acting Career
- Telma Hopkins began her acting career with a minor role in the American TV miniseries 'Roots: The Next Generations.' Her first significant role was in the American TV series 'A New Kind of Family'. It aired only for one season.Her popularity increased after her role in the 1984 sci-fi film 'Trancers'. Directed and produced by Charles Band, the film revolved around a police detective who travels back in time to take revenge from his old enemies.She continued entertaining her audience through her work in various TV shows, including 'The New Odd Couple', 'The Love Boat', and 'Gimme a Break!' She played a cameo role in the 1988 film 'Pulse Pounders', which was followed by a minor role in the 1990 film 'Vital Signs'.In 1991, she reprised her role in the sci-fi film 'Trancers II'. The following year, she appeared in 'Trancers III', the third and last installment of the Trancers series.She continued her work on television though she has not been seen in films much since. She played an important role in the American TV series 'Half & Half'. It aired from 2002 to 2006. Her most recent significant work was her role in the TV series 'Partners'. It aired in 2014, covering ten episodes.Continue Reading BelowMajor Works
- One of Telma Hopkins’ most significant work is her appearance in the ‘Trancers’ film series. Hopkins acted in three films of the series: ‘Trancers’, ‘Trancers II’ and ‘Trancers III’. All three were directed by Charles Band. The series revolved around a group of warriors, fighting different criminals armed with high-technology, in order to save the world.Another one of her most significant works is her role in ‘Bosom Buddies’, an American comedy series. The series aired from 1980 to 1982, covering two seasons. The series revolved around two single men struggling in their careers, who have to disguise themselves as women in order to rent an apartment. The show earned a lot of popularity and eventually gained a cult following.Hopkins played a role in the 1999 American film ‘The Wood’. It was directed by Rick Famuyiwa. The film also starred actors Taye Diggs, Omar Epps, Richard T. Jones and Sean Nelson. The film was a commercial success, grossing more than $25 million on a budget of $6 million. The film was also nominated for several awards, out of which it won one.Hopkins gained a lot of popularity for her role in the comedy series ‘Half & Half’. Created by Jeffrey Klarik, the show aired from 2002 to 2006. It starred Rachel True, Essence Arkins, Chico Benymon, Telma Hopkins, Valarie Pettiford and Alec Mapa. The story was about two half-sisters, who, after being estranged for a long time, slowly try to build their relationship again.Hopkins played an important role in the American comedy TV series ‘Are We There Yet?’ The series was based on a 2005 movie of the same name. It starred Terry Crews, Essence Atkins, Coy Stewart, Telma Hopkins and Teala Dunn. It aired from 2010 to 2013, covering a total of three seasons.Awards & Achievements
- Telma Hopkins won the ‘BET Comedy Award’ in 2005 for her role in ‘Half & Half’. She also earned several other nominations for her performance in the show.Personal Life
- Telma Hopkins married Donald B Allen in 1970. The couple had one child and divorced in 1977.Known for her charitable works, she has worked with several organizations such as ‘Caring For Babies with AIDS’ and ‘The Parent Teacher Association’.Net Worth
- Her net worth is around $3 million.
Pictures of Telma HopkinsPrevious NextImage Credithttp://www.blackenterprise.com/money/family-matters-where-are-they-now-cast/Image Credithttp://celebritynetworth.wiki/telma-hopkins-net-worth/Image Credithttp://blackkudos.tumblr.com/post/131861495462/telma-hopkins-telma-louise-hopkins-born-octoberImage Credithttps://www.imdb.com/name/nm0394286/mediaviewer/rm1602209792Image Credithttps://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/318348267381865790/Image Credithttp://www.tvbuzer.com/celebrity/Telma-Hopkins/photos/photo-Still-of-Telma-Hopkins-and-JoMarie-Payton-in-Famil-6618040
How To CiteArticle Title- Telma Hopkins BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/telma-hopkins-34417.phpLast Updated- October 16, 2017
People Also Viewed