Tatiana Maslany Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Tatiana Gabrielle Maslany
Born in: Regina, Canada
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Tom Cullen (2011–)
father: Dan Maslany
mother: Renate Maslany
siblings: Daniel Maslany, Michael Maslany
City: Regina, Canada
Tatiana Gabriele Maslany is the popular Emmy award-winning Canadian actress, best known for her performance in the TV series ‘Orphan Black’. An extremely talented actress, Tatiana Maslany has created a niche for herself, both in films and TV series. She started performing on stage from childhood itself and never shied away from taking challenging roles. Whether it is Penny, the kidnapped victim of the Canadian series ‘Flashpoint’ or Claire, the rebellious teen of ‘Picture Day’, Maslany left her audience spellbound. Her acting skill reached its zenith as she portrayed a dozen of clones in ‘Orphan Black’, with each character being distinct and completely different from other characters in the series both in look and character. She starred in many other TV series, such as ‘Being Erica’, ‘Heartland’, ‘World Without End’, ‘The Nativity’, etc. She is a prominent face in movies too with some incredible performances in movies like ‘Cas and Dylan’, ‘Two Lovers and a Bear’, ‘Grown Up Movie Star’, ‘The other Half’, ‘Diary of the Dead’, ‘Woman in Gold’, ‘The Vow’, among others. She has bagged some of the most prestigious awards of the industry like Canadian Screen Award, ACTRA Award, Emmy Award, Constellation Award, Gracie Award, etc. She is a versatile actress who conveniently fits into any role that comes in her way.
- Tatiana Maslany was born on September 22, 1985, in Regina, Saskatchewan, to Dan, and Renate. Her father is a woodworker and her mother is a translator. Tatiana is the oldest among her siblings and has two younger brothers, Daniel and Michael.
- She is aware of multiple languages and cultures owing to her Polish, German, Romanian, Austrian, and Ukrainian ancestry.
- Prior to learning English, she learnt French as she was in French immersion for her elementary school. Also, her mother and grandparents taught her German when she was a child.
- She was drawn to stage performances right from her childhood, and she gave her first performance as a dancer when she was just 4 years old. At the age of 9, she started community theatre and musicals.
- She graduated from Dr. Martin LeBoldus High School in 2003. While in high school, she participated in numerous school productions.
- During her graduation days, she got into acting jobs that required her to travel all over Canada. She would be out for her shoot for some months and then return to join her school in Regina. As a result, she always found it difficult to fit into either of the experiences.
- Soon after her graduation, she did several theatrical acts and was frequently traveling due to her schedule. At the age of 20, she finally settled down in Toronto, Ontario.
- Tatiana Maslany began her career with the Canadian series ‘2030 CE’ that was aired in 2002. Two years later, she made her debut film appearance in the role of a ghost in ‘Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed.’
- She soon ventured into improvisational theater and performed comedic improvisation for a decade. She also participated in the Canadian Improv Games. A certified improvisational trainer, Tatiana Maslany is now a member of the General Fools Improvisational Theater.
- In 2007, she starred in movies ‘The Messengers’ and ‘The Diary of the Dead’. She lent her voice in another movie ‘Eastern Promises’ that released in the same year. She also appeared in some TV series in 2007 like ‘Sabbatical’, ‘The Robber Pride’, ‘Stir of Echoes: The Homecoming’, and ‘Redemption SK’.
- In 2008, she returned to the Canadian television with the TV series ‘Instant Star’. She also appeared in the guest role of a kidnapped victim in another Canadian series ‘Flashpoint’ for which she was awarded the prestigious Gemini award.
- From 2008 to 2010, she portrayed the character of Kit Bailey in the popular TV series ‘Heartland’.
- Despite having busy television schedules, she made sure to take time out for movies. In 2009, she appeared in movies like ‘Defender’, ‘Grown Up Movie Star’, and ‘Hardwired’. Her role as a 13-year-old girl in ‘Grown Up Movie Star’ was highly appreciated.
- She displayed exemplary performance as a heroin-addict in the Canadian comedy TV series ‘Being Erica’ that was aired in 2010. In the same year, she appeared in movies: ‘In Redemption’ and ‘Toilet’. She received huge applauds for her performance in the British TV series, ‘The Nativity’, where she acted as Mary, the mother of Jesus.
- Her most prominent work in the year 2011 was her role as a contract killer in the film adaption of John Sanford’s ‘Certain Prey’. Other works of this year included films like ‘The Entitled’ and ‘Violet and Daisy’.
- In 2012, she portrayed the character of protagonist Claire in the movie ‘Picture Day’. While she restricted herself to just one TV series ‘World Without End’ this year, there were more films in her kitty, such as ‘Blood Pressure’, ‘The Vow’, and a short film, ‘Waiting for You’.
- The year 2013 saw the best of Tatiana Maslany. She appeared as the lead character, Sarah Manning, and a cohort of Sarah’s clones in the popular Canadian science fiction thriller ‘Orphan Black’. Running till August 12, 2007, ‘Orphan Black’ brought the best out of Tatiana Maslany, who effortlessly portrayed more than ten characters in the same series. She also featured in TV series ‘Cracked’, ‘Captain Canuck’, and ‘Parks and Recreation’ in 2013 and played the lead role in the film ‘Cas and Dylan’.
- From 2014 till 2017, along with ‘Orphan Black’ she did a couple of movies like ‘Women in Gold’, ‘The Other Half’, ‘Two Lovers and a Bear’, ‘Apart from Everything’, and the latest film ‘Stronger’ that released in 2017.
- Tatiana Maslany showed her extraordinary acting skill in ‘Orphan Black’ by displaying almost a dozen characters with absolute perfection. She conveniently got into the behavior and character of each clone, bearing absolutely no resemblance with any other clone. This TV series is definitely the milestone in her career that brought to her numerous awards and huge recognition.
- She equally proved her merit in films with her endearing performances in ‘Grown Up Movie Star’, ‘The Other Half’, and ‘The Picture Day’.
- Tatiana Maslani won the Gemini Awards (2009) for the category – Best Actress in a Guest Role, Dramatic Series – for her performance in ‘Flashpoint’.
- In 2010, in the Sundance Film Festival, she won the ‘World Cinema Special Jury Price for Acting’ for he performance in the movie ‘Grown Up Movie Star’. In the same year, she also won the Gemini Awards for the Best Performance in Guest role, Dramatic Series for ‘Bloodletting and Miraculous Cures’.
- In 2012, she bagged the award Best Actor in a Borsos Film Award for ‘Picture Day’ in the Whistler Film Festival.
- In 2013, she was honored with the ACTRA Award and an award in The Hamptons International Film Festival for her outstanding performance in ‘Picture Day’. She was awarded with the 3rd Critics’ Choice Television Award, TCA Award, Young Hollywood Award, and 2nd Canadian Screen Award for her challenging roles in ‘Orphan Black’.
- In 2014, ‘Orphan Black’ brought her few more trophies like the 2nd Canadian Screen Award, Constellation Award, Emmy Award, and 4th Critics’ Choice Television Award.
- The winning series for ‘Orphan Black’ continued with awards like ACTRA award, 3rd Canadian Screen awards in 2015; 4th Canadian Screen Award and 68th Primetime Emmy Award in 2016; and 5th Canadian Screen Award in 2017.
- She bagged the ACTRA Award for her outstanding performance in the movie ‘Two Lovers and a Bear’ in 2017.
- Tatiana Maslany has been in relationship with the Welsh actor, Tom Cullen, since 2011, and they have been living together in Los Angeles. They first met in Budapest during the shooting of ‘World Without End’.
|2016||Outstanding Lead Actress in a Drama Series||Orphan Black (2013)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed