Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Solána Imani Rowe
Born in: St. Louis, Missouri
Famous as: Singer-songwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Karla Valera, Odell Webb
siblings: Tiffany Daniels (older half-sister)
education: Columbia High School, Essex County College
SZA is an American singer-songwriter best known for her critically acclaimed debut studio album ‘Ctrl’ which featured hit singles like "Love Galore" and "The Weekend". She has also released three EPs till date, namely ‘See.SZA.Run’, ‘S’ and ‘Z’. She has contributed to several songs as a songwriter as well. SZA is a neo-soul vocalist whose music has been referred to as alternative R&B with elements of hip hop, soul, minimalist R&B, witch house, cloud rap, and chillwave. She mostly writes songs revolving around the themes of nostalgia, sexuality, and abandonment. The American beauty cites many artists like Meelah, Ella Fitzgerald, and Björk as her influences. Talking about SZA’s awards and accolades, she received the ‘NAACP Image Award’ for ‘Outstanding New Artist’ in 2018. She is also the recipient of two Soul Train Music Awards under the categories ‘Best New Artist’ and ‘Best R&B/Soul Female Artist’.
- SZA released her first EP titled ‘See.SZA.Run’ on October 29, 2012. The following year, she released her second EP titled ‘S’. The same year, she toured with the Swedish band Little Dragon. Also in 2013, she released a song titled "Teen Spirit". Then in 2014, the singer was featured on a variety of album songs by different artistes. In March that year, she released the single titled "Child's Play".
- Soon after this, SZA came up with her EP titled ‘Z’ which was preceded by the lead single "Babylon”. On November 18, 2014, she released a song named "Sobriety". Around this time, she disclosed that her initially planned third EP ‘A’ would be released as a studio album instead. While working on her debut album, SZA also started writing songs for artistes like Rihanna, Nicki Minaj, and Beyoncé.
- In June 2017, SZA’s debut album came out. This album, renamed ‘Ctrl,’ included hit singles like "Love Galore." In August, she collaborated with the rock band Maroon 5 to work on the band’s single "What Lovers Do". SZA then released the song "Quicksand" for HBO’s TV series ‘Insecure’.
- In January 2018, SZA was featured on the song ‘All the Stars.’ This song was released as the lead track of the soundtrack album of the flick ‘Black Panther’.
- SZA was born as Solána Imani Rowe on November 8, 1990 in St. Louis, Missouri, USA. Her father is an African American Muslim who worked as an executive producer at CNN. Her mother is a Christian who served as an executive at AT&T. SZA has an older half-sister named Tiffany Daniels.
- Besides attending a ‘regular school’ as a young girl, she also used to attend a "Muslim Prep-School" everyday. She later studied at the Columbia High School and went on to pursue a course in liberal arts at the Essex County College. The exact details regarding SZA’s love and dating life are not known to the media. However, it is said that she was once in a relationship with Scott Sasso.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed