Stephanie Beatriz Biography
Stephanie Beatriz is an American actress who has emerged as one of the most promising actresses in the industry in the recent years. She began performing on stage while she was still in college and later moved to New York City to pursue acting. Beatriz made her screen debut in 2009 in an episode of Kyra Sedgwick’s ‘The Closer’. Four years later, her film debut came about in the 2013 drama ‘Short Term 12’. After playing a series of guest roles, she was cast as the smart, tough, and aloof detective Rosa Diaz in the police sitcom ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’. The show has become a huge critical and commercial success, effectively making Rosa Beatriz’s breakthrough character. Recently, she starred in Jessica M. Thompson’s drama ‘The Light of the Moon’, for which she received much critical acclaim.
- Coming from a working-class family, Stephanie Beatriz grew up watching her parents struggle to make ends meet. Her initial years as an actor were no different. She had only $200 in the bank when she landed Rosa’s part in the series ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’ even though she had been acting for quite a few years at that time.
- She spent her 20s doing a lot of theatre work. She played Juliet in ‘Romeo and Juliet’ with the Theatreworks USA National Tour; Isabela in ‘Measure for Measure’, Bianca in ‘Othello’, and Lady Rosaline in ‘Love's Labor's Lost’ at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival; the eponymous character of ‘Lydia’ at Mark Taper Forum and Yale Repertory Theatre.
- In 2009, she appeared on television for the first time in the episode ‘The Life’ of TNT’s police procedural drama ‘The Closer’. She then worked in the TV film ‘The Smart One’, portraying the character Natalee. In ABC’s mockumentary family sitcom ‘Modern Family’, she was cast in the recurring role of Sonia Ramirez, the sister of Gloria Pritchett (Sofía Vergara).
- After making her cinematic debut in ‘Short Term 12’ (2013), in which she shared screen space with Academy Award-winner Brie Larson, she played small parts in NBC’s crime-drama ‘Southland’, Disney Channel’s sitcom ‘Jessie’, and HBO’s comedy series ‘Hello Ladies’.
- Beatriz was then cast as Rosa Diaz in ‘Brooklyn Nine-Nine’, produced by Fox in Los Angeles as a single-camera comedy. The series tells the story of NYPD detective Jake Peralta (Andy Samberg) and his colleagues at Brooklyn's 99th Precinct as they manoeuvre through the ups and downs of their professional lives.
- She portrays Rosa as a loyal, effective member of the squad but with serious anger management issues. Indiewire’s Alison Willmore praised Beatriz’s performance as being “a standout even in a cast crowded with very funny people”. Airing since 2013, the show has garnered multiple awards, including two Creative Arts Emmy Awards, and two Golden Globe Awards. Its fifth season premiered on September 26, 2017.
- In the 2014 release ‘You're Not You’, she got the chance to work with another Oscar winner, Hilary Swank. Beatriz portrayed a bank robber in the adventure comedy ‘Pee-wee's Big Holiday’ (2016). In the same year, she provided the voice for Gertie in the fifth instalment of the Ice Age film series: ‘Ice Age: Collision Course’ and acted in the short ‘Closure’, which she also produced.
- Besides playing the main protagonist Bonnie in the 2017 film ‘The Light of the Moon’, she also served as its executive producer. It premiered at the 2017 South by Southwest film festival (SXSW) and received the Audience Award for Narrative Feature Competition.
- She lent her voice to Elizabeth in the 2016 animated web series ‘WIZARD’ and to Sheriff Luke/Captain Banjo in the 2017 series ‘Danger & Eggs’. She also appeared as Elena in the TV movie ‘The New V.I.P.'s’. Her upcoming comedy film ‘Half Magic’ is in post-production stage.
- Born on February 10, 1981, in Neuquén, the capital city of the Argentine province of Neuquén, Stephanie Beatriz is the oldest daughter of her Colombian father and Bolivian mother. When she was only three years old, her family immigrated to the US in pursuit of the American Dream.
- She and her younger sister grew up in Webster, a city in Harris County, Texas. She studied at Clear Brook High School before enrolling at Stephens College, from where she graduated in 2002 with a BFA in Theatre Arts. After finishing her education, she stayed in New York for a long time. Since 2011, she is living in Los Angeles, California.
- In October 2017, she made the news of the engagement to her boyfriend Brad Hoss public. She came out as bisexual via Twitter in July 2016. She has also revealed that she suffers from eating disorders.
- She has a distinguishing scar on her right eyebrow, which she acquired when she tripped on a Lego brick, at the age of ten.
Stephanie Beatriz Movies
1. Short Term 12 (2013)
2. You're Not You (2014)
3. Pee-wee's Big Holiday (2016)
How To Cite
People Also Viewed