Sonoya Mizuno Biography
Sonoya Mizuno is a British actor, model, and ballet dancer of Japanese and British–Argentinian descent. Mizuno has been part of a few widely acclaimed movies, such as ‘La La Land’ and ‘Beauty and the Beast.’ Born into a family with mixed ethnicity, Mizuno was inclined toward acting since her childhood. She joined ballet classes at the age of 9, with the hopes of becoming an actor. Mizuno eventually graduated from the ‘Royal Ballet School.’ She danced for several ballet troupes. At the age of 20, she stepped into the field of modeling. Mizuno modeled for several major brands, such as ‘Louis Vuitton,’ ‘Alexander McQueen,’ and ‘Saint Laurent.’ Mizuno made her debut in movies with the psychological thriller ‘Ex Machina.’ The movie featured her as a humanoid powered by artificial intelligence. Later, Mizuno appeared in the dance-based movie ‘High Strung.’ Sonoya Mizuno made appearances in several dance videos, too. Mizuno played a significant character in the romantic comedy movie ‘Crazy Rich Asians.’ She has made appearances on TV, too. She played a major role in the psychological thriller series ‘Maniac.’ Mizuno will be seen in quite a few upcoming movies and series.
- Sonoya Mizuno was born on July 1, 1986, in Tokyo, Japan. Her mother is of British and Argentinean descent, while her father, Hajime Mizuno, is from Japan. Both her parents worked as diplomats. She grew up with her five siblings.
- Mizuno spent her early days in Somerset, England.
- She dreamed of becoming an actor since her early days. At the age of 9, she joined a local ballet school. On the recommendation of her teacher at the ballet school, Mizuno auditioned for an entry into the ‘Royal Ballet School’ in London. She was selected and spent 10 years at the school, learning classical ballet.
- Sonoya Mizuno started her career as a ballet dancer. After graduating from the ‘Royal Ballet School,’ she danced as part of several ballet companies, such as ‘Semperoper Ballet’ in Dresden, ‘Ballet Ireland,’ ‘New English Ballet Theatre,’ and ‘Scottish Ballet.’
- Mizuno stepped into the field of modeling at the age of 20. She modeled for several famous brands, such as ‘Chanel,’ ‘Alexander McQueen,’ ‘Saint Laurent,’ and ‘Louis Vuitton.’ In 2014, Mizuno was featured on ‘The World’s Greatest Show’ by Arthur Pita. She performed at the ‘Greenwich Dance’ and the ‘Royal Opera House.’
- In 2014, Sonoya Mizuno made her full-fledged film debut with ‘Ex Machina.’ It was a science-fiction psychological thriller directed by Alex Garland. The movie featured her as ‘Kyoko,’ a humanoid supported by artificial intelligence. Mizuno performed the part perfectly. She had, however, entered films much before, with the role of a forest guard in ‘Venus in Eros’ in 2012. In 2016, Sonoya Mizuno appeared as ‘Jazzy’ in the American drama film ‘High Strung.’ The plot of the movie revolves around a ballet dancer who participates in a dance competition with her violinist friend. The movie had Mizuno portraying a talented and rebellious dance student. The same year, she appeared as ‘Suzie’ in the movie ‘Alleycats.’
- In 2016, Mizuno got the chance to play a minor role in the ‘Academy Award’-winning movie ‘La La Land.’ It was a romantic musical film directed by Damien Chazelle. The movie had Ryan Gosling and Emma Stone playing the lead couple. Mizuno performed as ‘Caitlin,’ one of the roommates of ‘Mia,’ the character played by Emma Stone. In 2016, Mizuno performed as the feature dancer in the music video for ‘Wide Open’ by ‘The Chemical Brothers’ and Beck. She appeared in the music video for the song ‘Nikes’ by ‘Frank Ocean,’ too.
- In 2017, Mizuno played a minor part of a debutante in the American romantic fantasy movie ‘Beauty and the Beast.’ In 2018, she performed as two characters, ‘Katie’ and a humanoid, in the science-fiction horror movie ‘Annihilation.’ The same year, Mizuno appeared as ‘Ganja’ in the movie ‘All About Nina.’ She portrayed ‘Betsy’ in the horror movie ‘The Domestics.’
- In 2018, Sonoya Mizuno bagged one of the most notable roles of her career. She was chosen to portray ‘Araminta Lee’ in the American romantic comedy ‘Crazy Rich Asians.’ It was based on the novel of the same name, written by Kevin Kwan. The movie featured Mizuno as the heiress to a billion-dollar resort chain. Mizuno was dragged into a controversy for being cast in the movie, as the character was showcased as a Singaporean–Chinese, while Mizuno had no Chinese connections.
- In 2018, Mizuno appeared in one of the lead roles in the miniseries ‘Maniac.’ It was a psychological dark comedy series aired on ‘Netflix.’ The series followed the story of two strangers bonding during a pharmaceutical trial overseen by major scientists. Mizuno appeared as ‘Dr. Azumi Fujita,’ one of the scientists who led the experiment. In 2019, Mizuno will be seen in the movie ‘Ambition’ and in the series ‘Devs.’
- Sonoya Mizuno is reportedly single. She likes to keep her personal life away from the media. She is active on social-media platforms such as ‘Instagram.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed