Skylar Astin Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Skylar Astin Lipstein
Born in: New York, New York
Famous as: Actor
Spouse/Ex-: Anna Camp (m. 2016 - Sep. 2019 )
father: Barry Lipstein
mother: Meryl Lipstein
Partner: Lauren Pritchard
U.S. State: New Yorkers
Skylar Astin is an American actor, model, and singer, best known for playing ‘Jesse Swanson’ in two films of the ‘Pitch Perfect’ franchise. Born and raised in New York City, Skylar was interested in acting ever since he was a teenager. After his high-school graduation, he joined performance-arts camps and enrolled at the ‘Tisch School of the Arts,’ in New York City, to hone his skills as an actor. He dropped out of college when he started getting steady acting work. He first came to prominence playing ‘Georg’ in the ‘Broadway’ and ‘Off-Broadway’ productions of a play titled ‘Spring Awakening.’ Following this, he made his film debut in 2008, with ‘Hamlet 2.’ He then made his career breakthrough in 2012, with the film ‘Pitch Perfect.’ He then appeared in films such as ‘Pitch Perfect 2,’ ‘Cavemen,’ and ‘Flock of Dudes.’ After venturing into TV with small roles in the early 2010s, he played the supporting role of ‘Brody Moyer’ in the series ‘Ground Floor’ in 2013. Since then, he has appeared in key/supporting roles in series such as ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend,’ ‘Trolls: The Beat Goes On!,’ and ‘Graves.’
- Skylar Astin was born Skylar Astin Lipstein, on September 23, 1987, in New York City, to Barry and Meryl Lipstein. His father worked as a garment industry executive, while his mother was a homemaker. He grew up with two brothers, Jace and Milan, and a sister, Brielle.
- Skylar had a normal childhood and loved playing sports. He was an avid basketball player and was on his school’s basketball team. His family had no connection with the entertainment industry, but his mother was a drama fan. She went to the theater occasionally and took Skylar with her as well.
- He witnessed a few ‘Broadway’ shows when he was a child, and that made him develop an interest in acting. However, he did not plan on making it his profession.
- The credit to push him into acting goes to his mother. When he was 14 years old, while he was coming home one evening after playing a junior-high basketball game, his mother asked him to accompany her to a production of ‘Godspell.’ He initially denied. However, he eventually gave in. When he came out of the show, he was a changed person.
- He started participating in theatrical plays in his school and local theater groups. He used his middle name as his last name for stage appearances.
- He graduated from ‘Clarkstown High School North,’ and following that, he attended the ‘Stagedoor Manor’ performing arts summer camp in New York.
- In order to learn acting professionally, he enrolled at the ‘Tisch School of the Arts’ in New York. Around the same time, he was auditioning for roles in ‘Broadway’ and ‘Off-Broadway’ plays. He took a leave from college to play a role in an ‘Off-Broadway’ play titled ‘Springs Awakening.’
- Skylar was signed to play ‘Georg’ in the ‘Broadway’ and ‘Off-Broadway’ productions of ‘Spring Awakening.’ He remained associated with it until 2008 and performed as part of the play’s team at many places around the country.
- He also auditioned for TV and film roles while he continued his education. In 2008, he made his film debut with the supporting role of ‘Rand Posin’ in the comedy film titled ‘Hamlet 2.’ The film received poor reviews and was a commercial disaster, too.
- After an unsuccessful beginning in the film industry, Skylar became a little careful about the films he chose to work in. His second film was a comedy–drama film titled ‘Taking Woodstock,’ in which he played the supporting role of ‘John P Roberts.’
- Skylar hit the jackpot with ‘Taking Woodstock,’ as the film became a critical success. It premiered at the highly prestigious ‘Cannes Film Festival.’ Made on a whopping budget of $30 million, the film was a huge commercial failure. However, the actors received acclaim for their respective roles.
- In 2010, Skylar moved back to the theatrical world and appeared in a key role in the rock musical play titled ‘Rent,’ which was performed at the ‘Hollywood Bowl.’ Skylar played the role of ‘Mark Cohen’ in the critically acclaimed musical play.
- In 2011, Skylar made his TV debut with a guest role in the series ‘Love Bites’ and then appeared in more guest roles in series such as ‘Girls’ and ‘House.’
- In 2012, Skylar had his first major breakthrough when he appeared as ‘Jesse Swanson,’ one of the key characters, in the comedy film ‘Pitch Perfect.’ The movie was based on a book of the same name and was a huge critical and commercial success. His portrayal earned Skylar the ‘Teen Choice Award’ for ‘Choice Movie Actor Comedy.’
- Following this, Skylar had his TV breakthrough with the role of ‘Brody Moyer’ in the sitcom ‘Ground Floor.’ Playing the lead role in the series, Skylar quickly became a fan favorite. Although the sitcom could not run for more than two seasons, Skylar was touted as one of the main reasons for the show’s limited success.
- Skylar continued playing small roles in series such as ‘Glee’ and ‘Halt and Catch Fire’ before he earned the major role of ‘Isaiah Miller’ in the series titled ‘Graves’ in 2016.
- He played a voice role in the hit animated film ‘Wreck-It Ralph.’ His voice acting for the character ‘Roy’ earned Skylar two ‘BTVA Awards’ as part of the ensemble.
- In 2013, Skylar was seen playing one of the key roles in the comedy film ‘21 & Over.’ The film was an average critical success but a big commercial hit. Following this, he appeared in the lead role in the comedy film ‘Cavemen.’
- In 2015, he reprised his role of ‘Jesse Swanson’ in the film ‘Pitch Perfect 2.’ The film turned out to be a bigger success than its predecessor, and Skylar won another ‘Teen Choice Award’ for his portrayal.
- In the more recent years, Skylar has appeared in key roles in films such as ‘Flock of Dudes’ and ‘Speech & Debate.’
- He appeared as ‘Isaiah Miller’ in the TV series ‘Graves’ in 2016 and then appeared in the regular role of ‘Greg Serrano’ in the series ‘Crazy Ex-Girlfriend.’
- In the recent years, he has also appeared on stage, performing in plays such as ‘God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater’ and ‘What We’re Up Against.’
- Skylar is also a singer and has contributed to the original soundtracks of the films ‘Pitch Perfect’ and ‘Pitch Perfect 2.’
- Skylar Astin began dating American singer and actor Lauren Pritchard in 2006, and the couple remained together for sometime before going their separate ways.
- Skylar then began dating his ‘Pitch Perfect’ co-star Anna Camp, and the couple got married in 2016. In April 2019, however, the couple publicly announced that they had separated amicably.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed