Shubman Gill Biography
Shubman Gill is an upcoming young Indian cricketer who was part of the Under-19 Indian team that won the World Cup in 2018. He shot into the limelight during the 2018 U-19 World Cup tournament, where he scored 418 runs at an average of 104.50. The consistency he displayed ensured that he was spotted by the media. Even before his success in the World Cup , he talent was recognized at the local level. He was awarded the Best Junior Cricketer in 2013 and 2014 by the Board for Control of Cricket in India (BCCI). At the national level, he represents Punjab. He made his List A debut in 2016 during the Vijay Hazare Trophy. Subsequently, his first-class cricket debut happened in 2017 when he played in the Ranji Trophy against Bengal. His performance in the first-class matches and at the U-19 World Cup made him one of the hot picks in the 2018 IPL auctions. He was brought by Kolkata Knight Riders for INR 1.8 crore. He looks fit to serve the Indian cricket for a long time ahead.
- Shubman Gill started playing cricket early in his life. He is a right-hand batsman who represents Punjab and generally plays at the top-order. He is known for scoring big runs with style and his success at the local tournaments ensured that he was drafted into the Under-19 World Cup Squad as the vice-captain.
- In 2014, he played in the Inter-District Under-16 competition where he scored 351 runs and shared a record opening stand of 587. Later, in the Under-16 state competition, he went on to score an unbeaten double century in the Vijay Merchant Trophy. It was to honor these achievements that he received the best junior cricketer award for two consecutive years by BCCI.
- He made his first-class debut for Punjab in the Ranji Trophy series in 2017. He went on to score half a century in his debut and scored an aggressive 129 runs in the next match. He was among the top contenders for the national U-19 team, and he scored over 351 runs in four innings and was named the Man of the Series during the Youth ODI series against England.
- His played a major part in India’s victory at the 2018 U-19 World Cup. He was India’s best scorer in the World CUp and bagged the player of the tournament award. The IPL auctions for the 2018 edition were taking place at the same time, and he was bought by Kolkata Knight Riders for INR 1.8 crores. On his return from New Zealand, he played in the Vijay Hazare Trophy. He scored 123 runs in the match against Karnataka. These match-winning performances haven’t gone unnoticed by the media, who tout him to be the next Virat Kohli.
- Shubman Gill was born on 8 September 1999, in Fazilka, Punjab. His father is an agriculturalist and the family moved from Chak Khere Wala to Mohali to further Shubman’s career in cricket. Gill’s journey in cricket began at a very young age. He was confident that he wanted to be a cricketer and nothing else. The family saw to that he was given the best support and environment for him to become an international cricketer and encourage his ambitions. His father who wanted to be a cricketer himself trained his son in the initial years. Apart from cricket, he loves to swim. His favorite cricketers are Sachin Tendulkar and Virat Kohli.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed