Prithvi Shaw Biography
Prithvi Pankaj Shaw is a budding young Indian cricketer who led the U-19 Indian Cricket team to victory in the 2018 U-19 World Cup. He started playing cricket quite early in his life and was the captain of Rizvi Springfield High School. He was deemed a prodigy when he broke the world record score in school cricket. He was only fourteen when he achieved this feat and soon became the talk of the town and was often compared to the legendary Sachin Tendulkar. He was soon absorbed into the India U-19 squad, which won the Youth Asia Cup. In 2017, he made his Ranji Trophy debut with style by scoring a century. He followed this with a century at the Duleep Trophy. He was named the captain of India’s under 19 squad for the World Cup in 2018 and successfully led the team to victory in New Zealand. He part of the Delhi Daredevils team for the 2018 IPL. He is considered as the next promising talent in Indian cricket with a bright future ahead of him.
- Prithvi Shaw’s cricketing stint kicked off very early when he was enrolled in a cricket academy at Virar by his father. He later became a part of the Middle Income Group (MIG) Cricket Club in Mumbai and continued to hone his skills. In 2010, AAP Entertainment, a sports management company, offered him a contract of Rs 300,000 per year so that he could sustain his career and move to Mumbai. Later in 2012, he was selected for a three-month visit to Cheadle Hulme School in Manchester; the purpose was to study and train in different conditions. He learnt how to acclimatize himself to the English weather and even represented Gloucestershire's second team. He was also invited by the Julian Wood Cricket Academy and Bradfield College to take part in a cricket/personality development program. He has visited England several times since and has played for different leagues.
- In 2013, he made the local headlines when he broke the record for highest number of runs scored in school cricket. In the inter-school competition, he was the captain of Rizvi Springfield School and played against St. Francis D'Assisi School for the Harris Shield. He scored 546 runs off 330 balls in the match. He was soon made the under-16 captain for Mumbai for the upcoming Vijay Merchant Trophy.
- He made his first-class debut in January 2017 against Tamil Nadu in the Ranji Trophy series. He scored a century in the second-innings and led his team to the victory. In September 2017, he scored a century on Duleep Trophy debut and became the youngest player to do so. This record was previously held by Sachin Tendulkar. Subsequently, Prithvi Shaw was made the captain of the U-19 Indian team for the 2018 World Cup. The U-19 Indian team won the World Cup in February 2018 under his captaincy. In 2018, he was included in the IPL auctions and was bought by Delhi Daredevils for USD 187,500. He bagged a multiyear sponsorship deal and is currently managed by the Mumbai-based marketing sports firm Baseline Ventures.
- Prithvi Shaw was born on 9 November, 1999 in Thane, Maharashtra. He lost his mother when he was just four years old, and he started focusing on cricket to cope up with this loss. His father, a garment trader, decided to focus on his son’s career and stopped his business. The duo moved to Santacruz in Mumbai with the help of a generous contract by AAP Entertainment. He is currently pursuing his graduation from Rizvi College of Arts, Science and Commerce.
- The cricket documentary ‘Beyond All Boundaries' (2011) features Prithvi and his journey. The documentary highlights how his father pushed him harder so that he could rise above the ranks and play for the national team.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed