Stephen Farrelly, who is popularly known as Sheamus, is an Irish professional wrestler as well as an actor. His achievements include winning the WWE World Heavyweight Championship once, WWE US Championship twice, and the WWE World Championship twice. Born in Dublin in Ireland, Sheamus was a brilliant sportsman from his childhood days. He played sports, such as rugby and football. After watching a lot of wrestling shows on TV he was inspired to become a wrestler, and shortly after, his formal training began. He made his formal debut after training for only six weeks! After spending a few years in Irish wrestling and British wrestling, he made his debut in the WWE. Standing tall at six feet and four inches in height and well-built, he has proven to be one of WWE's finest wrestlers. He is also an actor, and has appeared in a few films, such as 'The Escapist' and 'Once Upon a Time in Dublin'. He offered his voice for the animated films 'Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows' and 'Scooby-Doo! and WWE: Curse of the Speed Demon.’
- Stephen Farrelly was born on 28th January 1978 in Cabra, Dublin, Ireland. He did his schooling at Scoil Caoimhin Primary and later Coláiste Mhuire Secondary School, a Gaelscoil. He sang in the Palestrina Choir till he was thirteen. He also appeared in TV shows such as 'Late Late Show" and 'Live at Three'.
- Throughout his early years he was also quite involved with sports, such as football and rugby. Later Sheamus played rugby for the National College of Ireland. Before he began his wrestling career, he worked as an IT technician as well as a security man in a nightclub.
- Inspired by a wrestling show on TV, Sheamus began his training in Monster Factory wrestling school. After just a period of six weeks, he made his debut under the name Sheamus O' Shaunessy. Despite suffering injuries he managed to win the Irish Whip Wrestling Heavyweight Championship twice.
- After competing in Irish wrestling as well as British wrestling for a few years, he made his debut in the WWE in 2006. During his early years, he wrestled in several tag team matches alongside Hade Vansen, Jake Hager, and later Victor Ceron, who is popularly known as Kafu.
- Later on Sheamus O' Shaunessy focused on singles competition, and after much efforts, he won the Florida Heavyweight Championship after defeating the former champion Hager.
- In 2010, he changed his name to just Sheamus and made an unannounced debut in the ECW (Extreme Championship Wrestling) as a heel. Throughout the next few weeks, he successfully beat several of the competitors, and later faced John Cena, the then WWE Champion. After successfully defeating Cena, he became the first Irish-born to win the WWE Championship.
- He lost the championship after a few weeks, after he was defeated by Triple H in an Elimination Chamber match. However he managed to win the Championship again after defeating John Cena once more. Two months later he again lost the title to Randy Orton.
- In 2011, after much hard work, he defeated the World Heavyweight Champion Daniel Bryan. He retained the title for a period of 210 days (the third longest in the title's history) till he was defeated by Big Show. He competed for the title again over the next few years. However he has not been successful so far.
- He continued his career in the WWE and over the next few years, he also became the United States Champion twice. Along with his partner Cesaro, he became a two-time WWE (Raw) Tag Team Champion as well.
- 'The Escapist' was the first film in the acting career of Sheamus. Directed and co-written by Robert Wyatt, the drama thriller film premiered at the 2008 Sundance film festival. Along with Sheamus who appeared in a supporting role, the film starred Brian Cox, Joseph Fiennes, Liam Cunningham, Seu Jorge, Dominic Cooper, and Steven Mackintosh.
- Though the film didn't do well commercially, it won the BAFTA Scotland Award for Best Film Performance and the British Independent Film Award as well, for Best Production performance.
- Sheamus has also worked as a voice actor in the 2016 animated movie ‘Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows.’ Directed by Dave Green, the film is the sixth film in the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle Film series. The film follows four fictional teenaged anthropomorphic turtles and their fight against criminal forces in New York City. The film was a commercial success and earned more than $250 million worldwide. It received mixed reviews from critics.
- Sheamus has made several important achievements in his wrestling career which include winning the World Heavyweight championship once, WWE US Championship and WWE Raw Tag Team Championship twice, and the WWE World Championship thrice.
- His other achievements include winning the King of the Ring in 2010 and the Royal Rumble in 2012. He has won the Slammy Award four times as well.
- Sheamus once dated Jessica Giles but the couple broke up in 2012. Though he has been seen around with several women, there is not much information revealed to the public about his dating life.
- His estimated net worth is around $8 million.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed