Shawnee Smith Biography
Sun Sign: Cancer
Also Known As: Shawnee Rebecca Smith
Born in: Orangeburg, South Carolina
Famous as: Actress
Spouse/Ex-: Jason Reposar (m. 1998–2003), Kai Mattoon (m. 2005–2006)
father: James H. Smith
mother: Patricia Ann (née Smoak)
children: Jakson Mattoon, Verve Reposar
U.S. State: South Carolina
Shawnee Smith is an American actor and musician, best known for her roles in the ‘Saw’ film series and ‘Becker.’ Shawnee is also known as the “scream queen” due to the number of horror films she has appeared in. Moreover, she is known for her role in ‘The Stand,’ which is based on the book of the same title by Stephen King. She has made several guest appearances in television series such as ‘Cagney & Lacey,’ ‘Married With Children,’ ‘Murder, She Wrote,’ and ‘Players.’ She fronted the punk/metal band ‘Fydolla Ho’ in the early 2000s, with which she toured the US and the UK. She was part of ‘Smith & Pyle,’ a desert country-rock band, with actor Missi Pyle. Their debut album was named ‘It's OK to be Happy’ and was recorded in Joshua Tree. The band was disbanded due to their busy acting careers and personal lives. Shawnee is good at playing various musical instruments, such as the piano, the drums, and the guitar. She has also served as a solo vocalist for the soundtrack of ‘Catacombs.’
- Shawnee Smith was born on June 3, 1969, at the ‘Orangeburg Regional Hospital,’ Orangeburg, South Carolina, US. She was the second-born child of Patricia Ann, an oncology nurse, and James H Smith, a financial planner and former ‘US Airforce’ pilot.
- When Shawnee was a year old, her family moved to Van Nuys, California. Her parents divorced when she was 2 years old, and her mother remarried when she was 8.
- Shawnee attended ‘Ranchito Avenue Elementary School’ in Panorama City, Los Angeles; ‘Madison Junior High School’ in North Hollywood; and ‘North Hollywood High School,’ before graduating in 1987.
- Shawnee started her professional acting career at the tender age of 8, when she appeared on stage in the repertory ‘A Christmas Carol.’ She participated in a stage play at 15.
- She made her first TV appearance in a ‘McDonald’ commercial titled ‘Best Friends’ in 1978 and made her feature film debut with ‘Annie’ in 1982. She joined the Screen Actors Guild at age 9.
- In 1985 she co-starred in two “troubled teen” melodramas, ‘Not my Kid’ and ‘Crime of Innocence.’ She appeared in ‘Iron Eagle’ (1986), ‘Summer School’ (1987), and the remake of the 1958 horror film ‘The Blob’ (1988).
- She took a 3-year break from acting in the 1990s because she had outgrown teenage roles and had a hard time finding work. When she was about to start attending classes, she landed a small role in ‘Leaving Las Vegas.’ She got steady work after that.
- Shawnee performed regularly in several TV projects, such as the miniseries ‘The Stand’ (1994), the series ‘Becker’ (1998–2004), and the reality series ‘Scream Queens’ (2015–2016).
- She returned to films in 2002, with ‘Never Get Outta the Boat.’ She then played the role of ‘Amanda’ in ‘Saw.’ She reprised her role in the next six ‘Saw’ movies, including ‘Saw 3D’ (2010).
- Shawnee Smith is also a musician who plays the guitar, the piano, and the drums. As a singer, she has contributed to the soundtrack of ‘Saw III’ and to the soundtrack of ‘Catacombs.’ Shawnee fronted the punk/metal band ‘Fydolla Ho’ in the early 2000s. The band released their debut full-length album in December 2001.
- Shawnee was also part of a country music group called ‘Smith & Pyle,’ with actor Missi Pyle. Their first album, ‘It's OK to be Happy,’ was recorded in Joshua Tree, California, and released in July 2008.
- Shawnee and Missi became business partners and formed their own record label called ‘Urban Prairie Records.’ However, the two disbanded in 2011, before a second album was completed.
- Shawnee Smith is best known for her performance as ‘Linda’ in the TV series ‘Becker’ (1998–2004). She appeared in all 129 episodes of the show.
- Shawnee’s performance as ‘Amanda Young’ in the ‘Saw’ film series made her famous as the “scream queen.”
- Shawnee eloped with photographer Jason Reposar in 1998 and married him. Soon, they had a daughter, Verve. The marriage ended in 2003.
- Shawnee married musician Kai Mattoon in 2005. They had a son, Jakson Mattoon. They divorced in 2006.
- Shawnee Smith converted from Protestantism to Eastern Orthodoxy and intends to make a documentary about her conversion and other aspects of Orthodoxy, with the title ‘Orthodoxy: A Love Story.’
How To Cite
People Also Viewed