Sarah Chalke Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Sarah Louise Christine Chalke
Born Country: Canada
Born in: Ottawa
Famous as: Actress
mother: Angela Chalke
children: Charlie Rhodes Afifi
Partner: Jamie Afifi
City: Ottawa, Canada
Sarah Chalke is a Canadian actress known worldwide mostly for her role in the NBC produced comedy series ‘Scrubs’ and for her recurring role in the critically acclaimed CBS sitcom ‘How I Met Your Mother’. Sarah fell in love with acting at the age of eight and made television appearance on a number of Canadian kids programs. She has played a variety of supporting roles in several movies over the years. Chalke has also portrayed numerous recurring roles in various television series. She continues to star in supporting roles in both movies and television series. She is also a voice actor and began voicing the character of Beth in the hit Adult Swim animated series ‘Rick and Morty’ in 2013. As of May 2018, the series was picked up for another seventy episodes after the conclusion of its third season. She is very involved in spreading awareness about breast cancer as both her aunt and grandmother died from the disease. Sarah is also an ambassador for the Audrey Hepburn Children’s foundation, which raises funds for underprivileged children all over the globe.
- Sarah Louise Chalke was born on 27 August 1976 in Ottawa, Canada to Douglas and Angela Chalke. Her mother from Rostock, Germany. Sarah has two siblings: an elder sister named Piper Chalke and a younger sister, Natasha Chalke.
- Her family moved from Ottawa to North Vancouver when Sarah was young. In 1994, she graduated from Handsworth Secondary School in North Vancouver, British Columbia.
- Sarah began her acting career at the age of eight and appeared in several musical theatre productions. When she was 12, she was chosen among many other candidates to be a reporter on the hit Canadian children’s television program ‘KidZone’.
- In 1993, she was cast in the American sitcom ‘Roseanne’ and portrayed the role of Lecy Goranson.
- She briefly returned to Canada to work on the CBC produced television drama series titled ‘Nothing Too Good for a Cowboy’ (1998–1999).
- Sarah Chalke played the character of Maisy in the 1994 American direct-to-video comedy movie titled ‘Ernest Goes to School’.
- In 2005, she co-starred alongside Heather Graham, David Sutcliffe and Taye Diggs in the romantic comedy ‘Cake’. Chalke played the character of Jane in the film.
- Chalke appeared in a parody of the hit show ‘The O.C.’ called ‘The ‘Bu’ on Channel 101, alongside the comedy trio ‘The Lonely Island’. She was however credited as Pamela Fenton”
- She played the supporting character of Paula Crowe in the 2008 comedy-drama film ‘Chaos Theory’.
- She became the spokesperson for a line of women’s underwear by Hanes in 2008. Chalke appeared in a series of commercials for the brand. The commercials were directed by Zach Braff, her co-star from ‘Scrubs’.
- She starred in the CBS produced, romantic comedy series titled ‘Mad Love’ in early 2011. However, the show was canceled after only one season.
- She had a recurring role in the third season of ‘Cougar Town’ after being signed on by Bill Lawrence, the former executive producer of ‘Scrubs’. Chalke played the love interest of Bobby Cobb in the series.
- Sarah starred in ‘How to Live with Your Parents (For the Rest of Your Life)’, an ABC produced comedy series which premiered on 3 April 2013. In the series, Chalke played the character of Polly, a divorced, single mother who struggles with living in her parents' house, because of the financial difficulties she is facing. The series was canceled after just a month on air.
- In 2013, she played a frantic mother, Casey Hedges, in a season 9 episode of ‘Grey’s Anatomy’ titled ‘Can’t Fight This Feeling’.
- Sarah began voicing the character of Beth in the hit Adult Swim animated series ‘Rick and Morty’ in December 2013. She has been voicing the character ever since. The show was picked up for another 70 episodes as of May 2018.
- Chalke was cast to play Dr. Elliot Reid in the hit NBC produced comedy television series titled ‘Scrubs’ in 2001. She played the character of Dr. Reid for nine seasons until the series finale in 2010.
- She made appearances as Stella Zinman, Ted Moseby’s on-again, off-again, love interest, in the critically acclaimed CBS situation comedy series titled ‘How I Met Your Mother’.
- Sarah Chalke is engaged to Jamie Afifi who is a practicing lawyer. Together, they have a son named Charlie Rhodes Afifi who was born on 24 December 2009.
- At the age of two, her son Charlie was diagnosed with Kawasaki disease. They also have a daughter Frankie Afifi who was born in May 2016.
- Sarah’s aunt and grandmother both died of breast cancer after being diagnosed in the early stages. As a result, she encourages spreading awareness about breast cancer.
- She also starred in the Lifetime movie titled ‘Why I Wore Lipstick to My Mastectomy’ to spread awareness about the causes and early detection of breast cancer.
- Sarah Chalke is an ambassador at the Audrey Hepburn Children’s Foundation named in honor of the legend herself.
- Because of her lineage, Chalke is fluent in both German and French.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed