Romeo Santos Biography
Romeo Santos (Anthony Santos) is an American musician, singer, music producer and a film actor. He has been the lead vocalist for the popular band Aventura, an American Bachata group. The band received gigantic success, mostly in Europe and Latin American countries, and their single ‘Obsesion’ went on to hold the first spot in several Italian music charts. Once the band parted ways, Romeo embarked on his solo career and produced several chart topping singles and studio albums. However, his beginnings were humble and in a truer sense, his introduction to music happened while singing in a church choir, where he found out a different sound to music which he liked. He gathered his brothers and cousins to form the boy band Aventura, which later got disbanded in 2011, as the members moved on to their solo careers. Signed under Sony, Romeo came up with chart topping singles titled ‘You’, which was also his solo debut, and ‘I Promise’, a chart topping song where he featured with Usher. Romeo later released his full length albums and his second album ‘Formula, Vol. 2’ became the best selling Latino album of the year 2014.
- Romeo Santos was born Anthony Santos on 21st July 1981 to a Dominican father and a Puerto Rican mother in New York City. He was born into a middle class family and his father struggled to provide his family with the means to survive while working at a construction site. His mother was a housewife and Romeo admits that he was extremely close to his mother and a mama’s boy.
- Romeo’s parents were into music and ever since he was a child, he was exposed to different sounds of music which he really admired. The tropical music was what his parents listened to and Romeo grew up listening to Salsa, Merengue and Bachata music and became heavily inspired.
- At the age of 13, Romeo joined a church choir and discovered his vocal skills and upon the appreciation of rest of the group, his dreams grew bigger and later in his teenage, he formed a local group called ‘Los Teenagers’. The group mostly performed in the streets and became popular among the Dominican-American youth in the New York City.
- The big break for the young group ‘Los Teenagers’ came in the year 1999, when record label Platinum Latin came to their aid and signed them on for a deal. The band later changed their name to Aventura and in the very same year, came up with their very first album titled ‘Generation Next’. The album wasn’t a massive success but the band came in public’s eye due to their unique style of blending traditional base music with pop and hip-hop sounds.
- In 2002 came the band’s second album titled ‘We Broke the Rules’, which followed the same sound pattern from their first album. Their moderate fan base in New York City appreciated the effort and through the immense word of mouth publicity, the group started gaining popularity. However, in 2004, one song from the album titled ‘Obsesion’ broke out into the mainstream music scene, and turned Aventura into the most exciting young New York music group.
- The song broke the national barrier and got immensely popular in Europe and secured top spots in music charts of France, Italy and Germany. Romeo, apart from providing the vocals to the songs in the albums, also wrote lyrics for most of their successful songs. Enthused with the gigantic success of their second studio effort, the band went on to release five studio albums in the coming years and several of their singles went on to receive huge acclaim from the critics and listeners alike.
- While the band was doing great, the members also got busy with their individual projects. The band went on a ‘break’ in the year 2011 and putting aside the media rumours about all not well between the members, Aventura made a comeback performance at a concert in 2014 and continued touring around for the next two years.
- In April 2011, Romeo made a public announcement that he will go solo for some time and explore the possibilities outside the band. In May, Romeo released the very first single ‘You’ from his debut album as a solo artist titled ‘Formula, Volume 1’ and the song became an instant hit reaching the top of several Latin music charts. The success of first song was followed by the second single from the album titled ‘Promise’, which was in collaboration with Usher.
- Romeo rocked the audiences with back to back three days performance in 2012 at Madison Square, and it was such as humongous hit that the organizers had to release the CDs of the concert titled ‘The King Stays King: Sold Out at Madison Square Garden’. He also rocked the Yankee Stadium with his electrifying performance and became the very first Latin artist to receive such a response at the venue.
- In 2014, his second album titled ‘Formula: Vol 2’ arrived and featured multiple collaborations with several established artists such as Carlos Santana, Nicki Minaj and Drake and a few weeks later, the album rose to become the best selling Latino album of the year 2014. In February 2017, Romeo released a single called ‘Heroe Favorito’ to a moderate success.
- Apart from music, Romeo has been part of two successful movies. He featured in a crucial role in seventh instalment of the popular action adventure franchise titled ‘Furious 7’ and starred alongside Vin Diesel, Paul Walker and Dwayne Johnson. He also voiced a character in the ‘The Angry Birds Movie’.
- Romeo has managed to keep his personal life a secret to the most part but a Latin news house claimed in 2016 that Romeo is in a long term relationship with an unknown girl and the couple can get married soon. This was due to a photo posted on Instagram where the couple was posing together and the girl had an engagement ring on.
Romeo Santos Movies
|2012||Best Latino Artist||Winner|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed