Rhona Mitra Biography
Rhona Natasha Mitra is a British actress, singer, and model. Beginning her career as a model, she rose to fame by modelling as the lead character in a famous video game series. She had decided to become an actress at the age of nine after meeting British actress Judi Dench, who was the mother of one of her classmates. After facing considerable troubles in her adolescence, she eventually managed to enter the world of show business and gradually built a name for herself as a model and actress. Her hard work and dedication in the field of acting has made her a household name and earned her several fans and followers. She has numerous television shows and films to her credit, such as ‘Party of Five’, ‘The Practice’, ‘Boston Legal’ and ‘Doomsday’. This tall and gorgeous actress is also popular for her sultry voice and dark long hair which add glamor to her natural beauty. She was nominated for a ‘Screen Actors Guild Award’ for her acting performance. She idolizes legendary actress Susan Sarandon for her stellar acting skills.
- Rhona Natasha Mitra was born in Paddington, Hampstead, London on 9th August 1976 to Anthony Mitra, a cosmetic surgeon of Bengali Indian descent, and Nora Downey, an Irish lady. She has an elder brother named Jason and a younger brother named Guyan, who is a travel writer by profession and works for ‘Lonely Planet’ and ‘The Sunday Times’.
- Her parents divorced in 1984 when she was just eight years old, following which she was sent to a boarding school. In Brighton, East Sussex she attended an all-girls’ school called Roedean. She was expelled from there for driving a car to the nearby boys’ school. In her next boarding school too, she was named a troublemaker and expelled on other parents’ complaints.
- She was deeply involved in the club culture of London for many years and took the decision to seriously pursue acting as profession after she developed an interest in it. She enrolled herself for a course of three years in a drama school. Just after the first year—after gaining enough confidence in herself—she started looking for work and performed in the regional theatre.
- Rhona Mitra started her career as a model and entered into the small screen in the early 1990s. Her television debut was a small role in ‘Ghostbusters of East Finchley’ in 1995. In 1996, she acted in the TV series ‘The Bill’ playing the role of Sarah Wickes and in 1997, she appeared in ‘The Man Who Made Husbands Jealous’, a miniseries.
- In 1997, she was featured as the character Lara Croft, the main protagonist of the video game franchise ‘Tomb Raider.’ This stint gave her widespread exposure and earned the upcoming model much fame.
- She ventured into a musical career as well. Her first single was ‘Getting Naked’ which was released in 1997. Her studio albums ‘Come Alive’ and ‘Female Icon’ were released in 1998 and 1999 respectively.
- In 1998, she acted in a movie role in ‘Croupier’ and in ‘Monk Dawson’ playing the role of Mollie Jolliffe. The following year she appeared in the movie ‘Beowulf’ as the love interest of Christopher Lambert. In 2001, she was ranked 46 by the ‘Maxim Hot 100 Women’.
- She acted in the lead role of Dr. Alejandra ‘Ollie’ Klein in ‘Gideon’s Crossing’, a medical drama series. She also appeared in movies like ‘Sweet Home Alabama’, ‘Ali G Indahouse’, and ‘Stuck on You’ in the early 2000s.
- She appeared as Tara Wilson in the show ‘The Practice’ in 2003-04 and also in its spin-off show, ‘Boston Legal,’ in 2004 as the main lead. In the same year, she acted in the lead roles in the show ‘Spartacus’ and in the movie ‘Highwaymen’.
- In 2005, she acted as Kit McGraw in the third season of the TV show ‘Nip/Tuck’. She also appeared in the movies ‘Skinwalkers’, ‘The Number 23’ and ‘Shooter’ around this period.
- In 2008, she starred in the role of Major Eden Sinclair in the movie ‘Doomsday’, a science fiction/action movie. In 2009, she played the role of Sonja, the vampire’s daughter, in the movie ‘Underworld: Rise of the Lycans’.
- She appeared in the series ‘Stargate Universe’ in 2010 as well as in a thriller film named ‘Stolen’. In the same year, she did ABC’s show on supernatural powers called ‘The Gates’ in the role of Claire Radcliff.
- In 2012-13, she appeared in the series ‘Strike Back: Project Vengeance’ in the role of Major Rachel Dalton. In 2014-15, she played the role of Dr. Rachel Scott in ‘The Last Ship’, a post-apocalyptic series. In 2017, she appeared in the series ‘The Strain’ as Charlotte.
- Following a series of minor jobs, Rhona Mitra got her big career break in 1997 through Eidos Interactive’s video game series called ‘Tomb Raider’. She got featured as the live action model for the lead character Lara Croft in ‘Tomb Raider’ prior to Angelina Jolie who later took over the role and acted in the ‘Tomb Raider’ movies from 2001 to 2003. The success of the video game ‘Tomb Raider’ gained her much prominence.
- In 1999, she got her first lead role in the television show ‘Party of Five’ as Holly Marie Begins, the illicit love interest of Scott Wolf. The series, aimed at teenagers and young adults, dealt with certain serious themes like parental loss, drug abuse, and dealing with cancer.
- She played the role of a neighbour who was sexually assaulted by the character played by Kevin Bacon in the movie ‘Hollow Man’ in 2000. The movie was a commercial success and was nominated for an Academy Award for Visual Effects in 2001
- In 2006, Rhona Mitra was nominated for a ‘Screen Actors Guild Award’ for her role in ‘Boston Legal’.
- In 2009, she was nominated for a ‘Scream Award’ for best actress for the movie ‘Underworld: Rise of the Lycans’.
- Rhona Mitra dated Carl Hagmier in 2003 for a few months. Afterwards, she dated actor Matt Damon for a short period in the same year.
- She was reportedly in a relationship with the famous American singer John Mayer in 2005. Currently she is believed to be single.
- Her net worth is estimated to be around $6.5 million dollars.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed