Reg Traviss Biography
Sun Sign: Aquarius
Also Known As: Reginald Stephen Reg Traviss
Born in: London, United Kingdom
Famous as: Film Director, Screenwriter
Spouse/Ex-: Amy Winehouse, Raven Isis Holt
City: London, England
Reg Traviss is a British film director as well as a scriptwriter who is known for making films like ‘Psychosis’. He has made only six films till date but has already made a name for himself in the industry. Interested in the show business from a young age, he started making short films as a teenager in the 1990s and also made several promos while working for BBC. Eventually he set up his own feature film production company named ‘Kingsway Films’. Over the past few years, Reg Traviss has seen many ups and downs in both his professional and personal life. He was once in a serious relationship with the singer Amy Winehouse and was even planning to marry her. However, destiny had other plans and all his hopes of building a life with her came crashing down with her untimely death in 2011. Another disturbing incident occurred when he was accused of twice raping one of his friends. He appeared in court, but was cleared of all charges as it was proved that the woman had falsely accused Reg of rape charges.
- Reg Traviss began making short documentaries and films from a very early age. During the initial days of his career, he worked for BBC and used to make promos for their productions. After successfully co-founding his production company ‘Kingsway Films’, Reg started working on his directorial debut in the film industry. His first film was ‘Joy Division’, a work of fiction based on the events during the closing stages of World War II and the initial stages of the Cold War. He also co-wrote the film along with Rosemary Mason and roped in the German production company ‘Dreamtool Entertainment’ to co-produce the film alongside his own production company. The film was based on an initial budget of six million US dollars.
- The film was shot in multiple places including London, Hungary, and Germany, and featured actors like Tom Schilling, Bernadette Heerwagen, British actor Ed Stoppard, television actress Michelle Gayle as well as seasoned actors like Bernard Hill and Suzanne von Borsody. The film was inspired by the bestselling book ‘Berlin: The Downfall 1945’ by Antony Beevor’ and also casually followed ‘Armageddon’ by Max Hastings.
- It was first screened at the Copenhagen International Film Festival in 2006 and was later released in the theaters in the UK as well as Germany, Australia, and New Zealand. Reg Traviss’ work was praised by the critics and the film received positive reviews. He was touted to be ‘one of the UK's most promising new filmmakers’ by many critics.
- His second film ‘Psychosis’ was released in 2010; it was a psycho-thriller which was a rework of Michael Armstrong’s film ‘Screamtime’. It featured lead actress Charisma Carpenter, Paul Sculfor, Ricci Harnett and rock singer Justin Hawkins. The film received mixed reactions from the audience as well as from the critics. A year later, Reg released his third film ‘Screwed’, an adaptation of Ronnie Thompson's bestselling ‘Prison Officer's memoir Screwed: The Truth About Life as a Prison Officer’. The film followed an ex-British soldier who returns from the warzone to join one of England’s notorious jails only to find out how corrupt the system is.
- The film featured actors like Noel Clarke, Jamie Foreman, James D'Arcy, and Frank Harper but did not attract many positive reviews from the audience or the critics. His latest film ‘Anti-Social’ was released in 2015; the story was based on two brothers who thrive through anti-social activities, and the way they live their daily lives. It featured Gregg Sulkin and Josh Myers as the two brothers in the lead roles, and also had other actors like Meghan Markle and Christian Berkel.
- Reg Traviss was born in London on February 12, 1977. He dated ‘Suicide Girls’ burlesque dancer Raven Isis Holt from 2008 to 2010 before getting into a relationship with English singer and songwriter Amy Jade Winehouse. According to Reg and Amy’s father Mitch Winehouse, the couple was very close to each other and marriage was certainly on the cards before Amy passed away in very unfortunate circumstances. She died of alcohol poisoning on 23 July 2011, leaving Reg and her family in shock.
- In 2015, a British documentary film titled ‘Amy,’ about the life and death of the singer, was released. Her father Mitch severely criticized the film as it showed him in a bad light. Traviss was also not happy with the movie as it made no mention of him. Thus Mitch Winehouse and Traviss have now planned to collaborate and make a film that would depict the true facts about Amy and her life.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed