Gavin Free Biography
Gavin Free is a British, actor, director, cinematographer and a popular internet personality, who is known for his association with ‘Rooster Teeth’ a Texas-based production company. He was a strapping 21-year old youngster when ‘Rooster Teeth’ hired him for directing ‘Red vs. Blue’, comic science fiction web television series. Gavin was also an erstwhile creative director at the aforementioned production firm where he was involved with the company’s numerous projects. Gavin founded a YouTube channel named ‘Slow Mo Guys’ with his companion, Daniel Gruchy where he launched a web video series of the same name. The channel has been a big hit and it was adjudged as the winner of ‘On the Rise’ competition—a YouTube program that promotes budding YouTube partners. He has also been repeatedly casted in the ‘YouTube Rewind’ series along with Daniel. Gavin is a distinguished cinematographer as well, specializing in slow motion-cinematic photography and has done cinematography for films like ‘Snow White and the Hunstman’, ‘Dredd’, ‘Sherlock Holmes: ‘A Game of Shadows’, and ‘Hot Fuzz’. He has overseen the filming of slow-motion videos for ‘Top Gear’ and won an award for cinematography. He has starred in numerous music videos, short films, feature films, and mini-series and his name was proposed for a ‘Webby Award’ for the ‘Best Web Personality’.
- Gavin Free was born on 23rd May, 1988 in the civil parish of Thame under Oxfordshire County, in United Kingdom. He did his schooling from Lord Williams's School in Oxfordshire.
- In 2006, at the age of 18, he took up employment as a camera operator and data technician in a production company named ‘Green Door Films’. While working for ‘Green Door Films’, Gavin honed his slow-motion camerawork and photography skills.
- Gavin also had a stint with the Thame outlet of the British supermarket chain, ‘Waitrose’. Here, he developed friendship with Daniel Gruchy, who was also employed at superstore, and the duo later went on to found the YouTube channel ‘Slow Mo Guys’.
- Gavin played a key role in creating music videos and commercials for reputed music bands including U2, Kasabian, Klaxons, ‘Enter Shikari’, ‘X-Press 2’, and ‘The Chemical Brothers’.
- The first major break in Gavin’s career came in 2009, when he was roped in by Rooster Teeth, an American production company, to direct the seventh season of their web series Red vs. Blue. He was also entrusted with the responsibility of directing ‘Relocated’—the miniseries version of ‘Red vs. Blue’.
- He also starred in a ‘Captain Dynamic’, a slapstick miniseries endorsed by Rooster Teeth in 2009. Free was also offered a role in ‘Rooster Teeth Shorts’ which is still being aired.
- In 2010, that Gavin along with his longtime friend, Daniel Gruchy, created a YouTube channel which they named ‘The Slow Mo Guys’. Both of them started recording footage for a web series that shared the name of their YouTube channel. Free used sophisticated and advanced cameras manufactured by Phantom, for filming in slow motion. In 2011, ‘The Slow Mo Guys’ was declared as the best channel on YouTube’s ‘On The Rise’ program, which highlights up-and-coming YouTube partners on the homepage.
- In May 2013, Gavin replaved Geoff Ramsey and Gus Sorola in the Rooster Teeth series 'Immersion' and began starring as a "lab rat". As a ‘lab-rat’, Gavin experimented the concepts of video games in real life, along with his colleague, Michael Jones, who is a recognized voice actor and web personality.
- In 2013, Gavin Free was a contestant in the second season of Rooster Teeth's gaming show ‘The Gauntlet’. He has also made cameo appearances in Barenaked Ladies music videos for their songs "Odds Are" (2013) and "Did I Say That Out Loud?" (2014).
- In November 2014, Gavin started to appear in Rooster Teeth animated superhero comedy web series 'X-Ray and Vav' and gave voiceover for Vav. In that very year, Free enacted a fictionalized version of himself in the comedic thriller series ‘Ten Little Roosters’.
- In 2015, Gavin Free and Burnie Burns, the co-founder of Rooster Teeth, moderated numerous episodes of ‘Million Dollars, But…’ a series based on hypothetical scenarios. In any typical episode of the series, the cast were required to recreate a complex situation in an entertaining and hilarious manner and the best performer would win the purse of one million dollars.
- In October 2015, Burnie Burns was replaced by Gavin Free as Rooster Teeth’s creative director but he resigned from the position in 2016 so that he could devote more time to his YouTube channel ‘The Slow Mo Guys’.
- In 2010, Gavin Free in partnership with his friend Daniel Gruchy launched a YouTube channel ‘The Slow Mo Guys’. The channel airs an eponymous web series that consists of a wide variety of things filmed in extreme slow motion. The channel is highly popular and as of June 2017, it has over 9 million subscribers and over one billion video views.
- In 2016, Gavin Free won the ‘Streamy Award’ for cinematography. In the same year, he was also nominated for a Webby Award for the Best Web Personality/Host (Online Film & Video) category for his work on The Slow Mo Guys.
- Gavin Free is currently in a relationship with cosplayer and vlogger Meg Turney. They live together in Austin, Texas.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed