Rachel McAdams Biography
Sun Sign: Scorpio
Also Known As: Rachel Anne McAdams
Born in: London
father: Lance McAdams
mother: Sandra McAdams
siblings: Daniel McAdams, Kayleen McAdams
City: London, Canada
education: York University (2001), Myrtle Street Public School, Central Elgin Collegiate Institute
Stunningly pretty and talented, Rachel McAdams is an actress who is best known for her roles in ‘Mean Girls’, ‘The Notebook’, and ‘Wedding Crashers’. As a young girl she discovered her love for skating. She was just four when she began competitive figure skating and had won several awards by the time she was a teenager. She was bitten by the acting bug too when she was a preteen. After watching a theater performance by children she announced to her parents that she wanted to act. She became deeply involved in drama as a high school student and began directing children’s theatrical production even before she was 20. After beginning her acting career in Canada, she moved to the U.S. in search of better opportunities. She found her big breakthrough when she was cast as Regina in the teen comedy ‘Mean Girls’—the youthful looking lady was 25 when she effortlessly fit into the character of the beautiful teenager! The movie was a big hit and soon she was inundated with several offers of movie roles. The actress believes in really getting into the role and even took a course in sailing when she had to play a sailor in ‘Wedding Crashers’. The beautiful actress is also a passionate environmentalist and is involved with various social causes.
- Rachel McAdams was born to Sandra and Lance. She has two younger siblings. Her mother is a nurse while her father is a truck driver turned furniture mover.
- As a child she began figure skating and won many regional awards in the sport. Even though she was very skilled at skating, she never considered it to be more than a hobby.
- She developed her interest in acting as a child and attended Disney and Shakespeare summer camps. She has also appeared on the Original Kids Theatre Company, London productions.
- She attended the Myrtle Street Public School before joining the Central Elgin Collegiate Institute. She participated in sports and served on the student council.
- She joined the four-year theatre program in York University and graduated with a Bachelor of Fine Arts honours degree in 2001.
- She made her movie debut in the 2002 comedy film ‘My Name is Tanino’, an Italian-Canadian co-production.
- Her first Hollywood movie also happened in 2002. She played a high school student in ‘The Hot Chick’ whose body is magically swapped with that of a criminal.
- She got her first big breakthrough in 2004 when she was selected to play Regina George, a beautiful but manipulative teenager in ‘Mean Girls’. The film was a huge commercial hit and she was highly praised for her role.
- She was flooded with film offers following the success of ‘Mean Girls’. She played the role of Allie Hamilton in ‘Notebook’ in 2004 which also starred Ryan Gosling. The movie did well at the box office and received several awards.
- She played Clare Cleary, an environmental activist in the romantic comedy ‘Wedding Crashers’ in 2005. The movie became a very huge hit reaching No. 2 at the box office on its first weekend. She acted in two more films the same year: ‘The Red Eye’ and ‘The Family Stone’.
- She had become very popular by now and was in much demand. She was invited along with Scarlett Johansson and Keira Knightley to appear on the March 2006 cover of ‘Vanity Fair’. She, however, opted out when she learned it was a session without clothes.
- She took a short break from acting during 2006 and most of 2007. She got several lucrative movie offers which she turned down.
- She returned to the big screen in late 2007 with the movie ‘Married Life’ in which she played Kay, a young widow who is pursued by two considerably older men played by Pierce Brosnan and Chris Cooper.
- The year 2009 was a very productive one for her. She acted in three films, ‘State of Play’-a political thriller, ‘The Time Traveler’s Wife’-a romantic drama, and the action mystery ‘Sherlock Holmes’.
- She portrayed a television producer Becky Fuller in ‘Morning Glory’ (2010). The film revolved around how Becky tries to revive a failing morning show and improve its ratings. The movie was considered a star vehicle for the actress.
- In 2011, she starred in Woody Allen’s ‘Midnight in Paris’ in which she played the role of Inez. Her role was critically praised and the movie went on to become a very big commercial grosser.
- She appeared in three movies in 2012: ‘The Vow’, ‘Passion’, and ‘To the Wonder’. Her upcoming films include ‘A Most Wanted Man’ and other untitled projects.
- She rose to international fame with her portrayal of the teenager beauty Regina George in ‘Mean Girls’. She won many awards and the movie was listed among the Greatest Ever High School Movies by the ‘Entertainment Weekly’.
- Her role in the romantic comedy ‘The Notebook’ was critically appreciated and earned her many accolades. She played the love interest of Ryan Gosling in the movie. The film has since then acquired a cult following.
- She won the Gemini Award for Best Performance by an Actress in a Featured Supporting Role in a Dramatic Series for ‘Slings and Arrows’ in 2004.
- She has won several MTV Movie Awards including one for Best Breakthrough Female Performance for ‘Mean Girls’ in 2005.
- She had been in relationships with fellow actors Ryan Gosling and Michael Sheen in the past. Currently she shares a home with her brother in Canada.
- She is a dedicated environmentalist and support several eco-friendly social causes.
- She was once touted as the next Julia Roberts.
- She loves cooking and would have opened a restaurant if she had not been an actress.
Rachel McAdams Movies
1. The Notebook (2004)
2. About Time (2013)
(Fantasy, Romance, Comedy, Drama, Sci-Fi)
3. Spotlight (2015)
(History, Drama, Crime)
4. Sherlock Holmes (2009)
(Action, Crime, Mystery, Thriller, Adventure)
5. The Time Traveler's Wife (2009)
(Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Drama, Romance)
6. Doctor Strange (2016)
(Action, Fantasy, Sci-Fi, Adventure)
7. Midnight in Paris (2011)
(Romance, Comedy, Fantasy)
8. Wedding Crashers (2005)
|2005||Best On-Screen Team||Mean Girls (2004)|
|2005||Breakthrough Female||Mean Girls (2004)|
|2005||Best Kiss||The Notebook (2004)|
How To Cite
People Also Viewed