Pharrell Williams Biography
Sun Sign: Aries
Also Known As: Pharrell, Skateboard P, Pharrell Lanscilo Williams
Born in: Virginia Beach, Virginia, U.S.
Famous as: Singer
Spouse/Ex-: Helen Lasichanh
father: Pharaoh Williams
mother: Carolyn Williams
U.S. State: Virginia
education: Princess Anne High School
Pharell Williams is an American singer and songwriter who gained fame for his Oscar nominated hit song ‘Happy’. Also a record producer and film producer, he produced the 2016 biographical drama film ‘Hidden Figures’. The film, which was based on a book of the same name, turned out to be a huge hit and won several awards such as the ‘Hollywood Film Award’ and also gained three Oscar nominations. A successful businessman as well, Williams has been involved with several corporations such as ‘Adidas’, and ‘Moncler’. He has been a music enthusiast since he was a child. Along with his friend Chad Hugo, he started performing from an early age and soon they formed a record production duo named ‘The Neptunes’. As a producer for rap artists such as ‘Ol’ Dirty Bastard’, and ‘Jay-Z’, ‘The Neptunes’ soon came to popularity. They also became known for their work in ‘Justified’, which was the debut studio album of popular American singer Justin Timberlake. Williams’ solo debut studio album ‘In My Mind’ was released in 2006. Debuting at number 3 on the US Billboard 200, it is amongst his most successful works. In 2014, he released a second album, ‘Girl’, which also turned out to be a huge hit.
- Pharrell Williams was born on 5 April 1973 in Virginia Beach, in the United States. His father’s name is Pharaoh while his mother’s is Carolyn. They had three children, Pharrell being the oldest one.He attended Princess Anne High School and Kempsville High School. During his seventh-grade, he became acquainted with Chad Hugo, with whom he later formed ‘The Neptunes’. He has stated in interviews that he used to be different from the average kid, and was also a nerd who used to stand out from other kids.Continue Reading BelowYou May LikeRecommended Lists:
- In the 1990s, Pharell Williams performed with Chad Hugo and the duo formed the record production team, the Neptunes. They successfully contributed to the works of several artists in the late 1990s as well as the 2000s. They became known for producing hit songs such as ‘I Just Wanna Love U’, by Jay Z, and ‘I’m a Slave 4 U’ by Britney Spears.After a few more successful works, they released an album ‘The Neptunes Present… Clones’ in 2003. The album stood at the first position on the US Billboard 200. It also received mostly positive reviews. The album included ‘Frontin’, Pharrel’s debut solo single, which peaked at the fifth position on the US Billboard Hot 100, as well as became the 34th best selling song in the country for the year.Williams’ debut studio album ‘In My Mind’ was released in July 2006. It turned out to be quite successful. It debuted at the third position on the US Billboard 200. Even though several songs from the album had been leaked on the internet before its release, the album successfully sold over 142k copies within the first week.Throughout the next few years, he collaborated with several well-known singers, such as Shakira and Jennifer Lopez. He was credited as a co-writer and a producer for Lopez’s hit song ‘Fresh Out the Oven’.In 2010, he composed the soundtrack for the popular animated comedy movie ‘Despicable Me’. The following year, he collaborated with American singer Adam Lambert, with whom he co-wrote two tracks for Lambert’s second studio album ‘Trespassing’’. He also composed as well as produced the music for the 84th Academy Awards.In the year 2013, Pharell Williams composed the soundtrack for the animated film ‘Despicable Me 2’, which was the sequel to ‘Despicable Me’. His song ‘Happy’, which was written for the film, was a huge hit. Not only it stood at the first position on the US Billboard Hot 100, the song also won an Oscar nomination. It also served as the lead single of his second album ‘Girl’.His second studio album, ‘Girl’, was released in March 2014. Peaking at number one in 12 different countries, the album was a huge success. It sold 591k copies in the US within a year. It received mostly positive reviews from critics.The same year, Williams was also announced as the new coach of the popular TV singing competition ‘The Voice’. The next year, Williams, was a co-composer of the soundtrack for the hit superhero move ‘The Amazing Spiderman 2’.In 2016, he was a producer as well as a composer for the popular biographical drama film ‘Hidden Figures’. The film was a huge success, and received an Oscar nomination.Continue Reading BelowRecommended Lists:
Recommended Lists:Major Works
- ‘In My Mind’, which was the first album by Pharrell Williams, is among the most significant works of his career. Debuting at number 3 on the US Billboard 200, the album was a commercial success, and sold 142k copies in its first week. The album included tracks such as ‘Can Have it Like That’, ‘How Does It Feel’, ‘Best Friend’, and ‘Angel’. The album was also a huge success in other countries, peaking at eighth position on the Canadian Albums, and third position on the Dutch Albums.’Girl’, the second studio album by Pharrell Williams, is another one of his successful works. The album peaked at the second position on the US Billboard 200. Along with the Oscar nominated song ‘Happy’, which served as the lead single of the album, it also included singles such as ‘Gust of Wind’ and ‘Hunter’. It was also quite a success in other countries, peaking at the first position on the UK Albums and Norwegian Albums. It received mostly positive reviews.Williams was the co-producer of a popular biographical drama film ‘Hidden Figures’, which was released in 2016. The film, which was based on a non-fiction book of the same name by Margot Lee Shetterley, was directed by Theodore Melfi, and starred actors Taraji P. Henson, Octavia Spencer, and Kevin Cosmer. The film turned out to be a commercial success, and grossed nearly $230 million worldwide. The film received several awards, as well as three Oscar nominations. Reviews were mostly positive.Awards & Achievements
- Pharrell Williams is the winner of ten Grammy Awards, and six Billboard Music Awards among others. He has also received two Academy Award nominations.In 2014, he won two BBC Music Awards, in the categories International Artist of the Year and Song of the Year (‘Happy’).In 2015, he won the People's Choice Award for Favorite R&B Artist.Personal Life
- Pharrell Williams is married to Helen Lasichanh, a model and a designer. They have a son, Rocket Williams, who was born in 2008. In 2017, the couple had three more children, a set of triplets.Net Worth
- Pharrell Williams has an estimated net worth of $150 million.
AwardsPeople's Choice Awards
2015 Favorite R&B Artist WinnerGrammy Awards 2019 Producer of the Year, Non-Classical Winner 2016 Best Rap Song Winner 2015 Best Urban Contemporary Album Winner 2015 Best Pop Solo Performance Winner 2015 Best Music Video Pharrell Williams: Happy (2013) 2014 Best Pop Duo/Group Performance Winner 2014 Record of the Year Winner 2014 Album of the Year Winner 2014 Producer of the Year, Non-Classical Winner 2007 Best Rap Song Winner 2004 Best Pop Vocal Album WinnerASCAP Film And Television Music Awards 2011 Top Box Office Films Despicable Me (2010)MTV Video Music Awards 2014 Best Male Video Winner
How To CiteArticle Title- Pharrell Williams BiographyAuthor- Editors, TheFamousPeople.comWebsite- TheFamousPeople.comURL- https://www.thefamouspeople.com/profiles/pharrell-williams-2565.phpLast Updated- June 14, 2017
People Also Viewed