Momma Dee Biography
Sun Sign: Virgo
Also Known As: Deborah Gaither
Born in: Atlanta, Georgia
Famous as: Actress, Singer
Spouse/Ex-: Ernest Bryant
children: Lil Scrappy
City: Atlanta, Georgia
education: Georgia State University
Momma Dee is a famous American actor, singer, and reality TV personality. She is best known for her appearance on the hit ‘VH1’ reality show 'Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta.' Momma Dee has also been involved in sex trade and drug peddling in the past. Her tumultuous upbringing has apparently made her a tough and emotionless woman, but deep inside, she is a protective and caring mother. In many instances, she has revealed her motherly love for her children, protecting them from the negativities of the world. Momma Dee has also made a few film appearances and has created a few singles. She has now ventured into the fashion industry as a designer. She has released her autobiography, too.
- Momma Dee was born Deborah Gaither, on September 21, 1963, in Atlanta, Georgia, US. Three days after she was born, Momma Dee was diagnosed with spinal meningitis. She was hospitalized for the next six months. Momma Dee had an abusive childhood. Her stepfather would often beat her, and this was allowed by her mother. Momma Dee attended 'Turner County' and 'Decatur High School,' both located in Georgia. She attempted to kill herself a few times during her high-school days. She later received an associate's degree in nursing from the 'Georgia State University.'
- Momma Dee has had a number of professions in her life. To meet her family’s financial needs, she began drug peddling when she was very young. She has also been part of the catering business and has worked as a nurse, too. She sang in nightclubs when her son was little.
- Momma Dee can go to any extent to support her family in every possible way. In 1993, after meeting with an accident that left her bound to a wheelchair for three years, she became a pimp. She was mentored by an older pimp named Sir Charles. Momma Dee learned the tips and tricks of making good money in the sex trade. She started the business from her own bedroom, which she eventually turned into a brothel. She ran that brothel for 10 long years under the pseudonym "Lady Dee." Soon, she developed an interest in fashion. She designed the outfits and accessories for the girls at her brothel and even created a daily dress code for them. Momma Dee worked as a model, too, for a while.
- In 2012, Momma Dee made her TV debut with the 'VH1' reality series 'Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta.' Following the success of the show, she became a celebrity. She appeared in the second season of the show, too, in 2015. Momma Dee also ventured into the music industry and released hit singles such as ‘I Deserve’ and ‘In That Order.’ ‘I Deserve’ was dedicated to Momma Dee’s difficult childhood, while ‘In That Order’ featured her cousin and popular American hip-hop recording artist Yung Joc.
- In 2016, Momma Dee made her debut as an actor, with the film ‘The Products of the American Ghetto.’ She played a pimp in the film. The same year, she appeared as the mother of the lead character in the drama 'About Justin,' one of the spin-offs of the LGBT web series 'About Him.' Momma Dee has made a few more appearances, in projects such as ‘My Side Piece Hit the Lotto’ and ‘Rocko Presents Food.’
- Momma Dee’s autobiography, ‘The Making of a Queen: And In That Order,’ chronicles the struggles and hardships of her life. The book also throws light on her life as a brothel owner.
- She has also worked as a fashion designer and launched her clothing line named 'Momma Dee’s Queen Collection.' This collection offers an exclusive vintage range of A-line dresses, plus-size dresses, and ballroom gowns.
- Momma Dee has been involved in a lot of controversies. One of them stemmed from her tiff with her son’s girlfriend, Erica. Initially, she had no issues with Erica, but with time, Momma Dee turned insecure. She feared that Erica might destroy her relationship with her son. Momma Dee’s insecurity turned worse when Erica got pregnant.
- Momma Dee was once charged for not paying a $500 restaurant bill in Milwaukee. She was locked up for a few hours and was fined $250 in exchange for bail. The Milwaukee County district attorney’s office later closed the case due to lack of evidence.
- Momma Dee married Ernest Bryant on May 24, 1996. The wedding happened a week before her son, the famous rapper Lil Scrappy, was born. One of the reasons behind the wedding was that Ernest’s mother did not want her grandchild to be addressed as illicit. Momma Dee has a daughter, too, named Jasmine Brown.
- Momma Dee divorced Ernest a few years later. However, they remarried in 2015. The event was aired in the fourth season finale of 'Love & Hip Hop: Atlanta.' Momma Dee was once rumored to be dating her 'VH1' co-star Brian McKee, who is much younger to her.
- Momma Dee has undergone several cosmetic surgeries to boost her confidence and keep her youthful look intact. Her surgeries include a breast enhancement surgery, a tummy tuck, Botox treatments, face-filler treatments, and a Brazilian butt lift. She spent almost $30,000 to get her perfect hourglass figure.
How To Cite
People Also Viewed